What supplements do you all take

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Feb 14, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

And which one's to you feel help you the most?
    I take alot, but I'm trying to narrow them down to just a few.
    I use to get a discount where I worked, now I'm not working so it get expensive(I found a good company on the net with reasonable prices, but it's still pricey).
    I know we are all different, but interested to see what you've tried.
    Thanks.
    Claudia
    I use:
    Flax, borage and fish oil
    multi
    thyroid support
    astragulus
    milk thistle
    probiotics
    oregano or olive leaf
    glutathione
    CQ-10/l-carnitine
    N.A.D.H.
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

myself in case someone wants to reply.
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I currently take Samento and Noni juice for suspected Lyme, a green food supplement, probiotics and milk thistle for liver support. If there is a cold/flu doing the rounds I add in a zinc/vit C supplement too.

Love Bunchy x
  4. jc1085

jc1085 New Member

Hi - I'm new on the board and just been diagnosed. I have been reading online a lot about supplements but I guess I'm a little leery of taking them. I don't know what I should take and how much per day.

Is this something I need to discuss with my doctor? I kind of feel like I'm out here by myself with all this at the moment....
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I was getting lonely!:)
    I tried Noni juice, I think it helped a bit with the all over aches, but i'm not sure.
    I am taking a break from it to see.
    Probiotics are probably the best thing for us. I believe yeast is a big problem for the majority of us.
    Have a great valentines!
    Claudia
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

There are many supplements that I believe can help your body heal.
    Now I have not come across a "miracle supplement" but I think I would be in even worse shape if I didn't take them.
    That's my own opion though.
    If you don't feel comfortable taking supplements don't.
    I would suggest you do some research on some of the ones mentioned and see what you think.
    I know finances are an issue, as they can be costly.
    As far as your doctor goes, most don't believe in them or recommend them.They are taught that only drugs have value ,( I have family in the medical field, so I can say that:)
    I believe in taking charge of your own body, if I waited for the doctor's I would still be bed ridden.
    My sister-in-law no longer has lupus, she "cured "herself with natural products.
    Anyway, I don't want to give false hope or confuse you.
    I just want you to have as many options as possible.
    I know I will take help where I can!:)
  7. jc1085

jc1085 New Member

Hi, claudiaw - I read over my post and it didn't come out at all like I meant!

I really do want to figure out what supplements I should take - I meant, I'm leery of taking anything RIGHT NOW, before I know what I should take and how much daily - hope that makes more sense.

I just don't know what to start with and I guess I feel intimidated and confused by all the supplements that are out there.

Hope that clarifies my earlier post (really didn't mean it the way it came across).

Thanks for any advice and help!
  8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I'm getting tired and may have read it wrong ( wouldn't be the first time:).
    I use ti work at a healthfood store and I know how confusing it can be.
    What I always suggested to my costumers was, list the problems in order of severity and then you can start researching supplements for those symptoms.
    That can help to narrow it down a bit.
    Most people could use a good multi vitamin,
    I suggest a capsule or powder because it is easily digested.
    Most of us with CFS or FM have problems with yeast ( probiotics are good).
    Constipation, fiber is good.
    Energy, "green foods" are good.
    You get the idea.
    Most importantly though is a healthy diet and lots of water, some fresh air, gentle exercise if you can and a good attitude ( most challenging sometimes:).
    If I can help let me know, I will try.
    You know yourself best, listen to your body and go from there.
    Take care, Claudia
  9. bct

bct Well-Known Member

CoQ10
    L-Carnitine
    Ginkgo
    Dhea - 25mgs.
    Fish Oil caps. (purified)
    B12 shots once a week
    Cordyceps
    Host Defense --- a "cocktail" of medicinal mushrooms.
    Neurontin
    Neuro-Optimizer == CDP Choline, Phosphatidylserine, Alpha-
    Lipoic Acid, L-Glutamine, and Taurine.

Best wishes to you,
    Barry

PS. I don't know what helps the most, or even if they all do. Neurontin I would say yes, and B12 definately. I hope the others do too.
    Also I eat as organically as possible, and eat lots of fruit and veg., little meat, much fish. I missed some supps. (Green Tea extracts) but you get the idea.
    Also no alcohol, no coffee.

10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

to keep the vitamin industry in business!:)
    It is hard to know what helps, because some supplements are good for you in the long term (ie. antioxidants) even though you don't feel it.
    I am just trying to cover all my bases.:)
    Claudia
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I take a probiotic called "Pearls" by Enzymatic Therapy Company.

Multi-vitamin