What supplements help you the most?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, May 5, 2003.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I'm on the bandwagon to feeling better with my FM/MPS/CFS. I can't find a doctor anywhere that knows much about this DD. And nutrition is another world for them! I have read the suggestions from the famous drs on this site, but which to choose. What supplements do you take that make you feel better? This post may help some of us to decide what to order from Prohealth.
    I for myself, believe in anti-oxidents taking E, C, and CoQ10. I need suggestions expecially for CFS, since my testing shows I have chronic EBV. I get alot of sinusitis too. Any suggestions?
    Thanks friends---this post may help others too.
    Tania
  2. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi Tania,

Sorry cant be much help really. I take loads but to if the do anything is a differant matter.

Mag
    Vit c
    Calcium
    Q10
    Vit B12
    Vit complex
    Zinc
    Fish oils

Was thinking of adding more but where do you stop at.

shazzy
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think the antioxidants are important as are extra minerals like magneisum and zinc (which are in the ZMA sold here) calcium, and selenium. I think a good multi vitamin and a good high potency B complex with lots of B-12 is also good.

It's interesting you mention active EBV. I recently had to take Famvir for surgery and it put me into complete remission while I was on it. I now believe I have an active Herpes-Family virus too, possibly HHV-6. Many here tout the benefits of Olive Leaf Extract for antifungal, antiviral properties. I cannot take it in supplement form, but I bought some tincture and made tea from it. It's a nice little evening drink as the tincture is made from grain alcohol. The tea is delicious.

I also believe we need to be building our immune systems back up and so I take collostrum and ImmunPlex whey sold here. Dr. Cheney highly recommends the ImmunPlex for helping to modulate the immune system.

Love, Mikie
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

It's tough taking alot of supplements, but if they will make my immune system better, I'm all for it. Going to make myself a daily schedule. Thanks for all your input.
    If anyone else wants to post---please do. We all learn from each other.
    Tania
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Definitely, if you have a lot of sinusitis...it works there in a matter of days to a week...also, Quercitin with Bromelain as a natural antihistamine..

Gaba is becoming a very important addition for calming the nervous system..upper limit is 750mg/2/day, morning and evening..can start at lower dosage and find your best level

Digestive Enzymes are a must...plant-based for vegetables and animal-based for meats..there are many different strengths. Need to also take inbetween meals for reduction of fibrin in blood vessels..

Natural Vitamin E with mixed tocopherols rather than the synthetic..for immune system, hypothyroidism

Chromium Picolinate, especially, if you have insulin resistance..200-400mcg

Zinc helps with the immune system and has many important functions...and is usually too low in hypothyroidism, and in CFS/FM.(upper limit, 50mg)

Vitamin C (From l000-3000mg/Day in divided doses to boost glutathione level, particularly...or Undenatured Whey Protein or both

The Essential Fatty Acids or Essential Oils to help prevent and treat arthritic conditions and helps with normalization of hormones, etc. Also, Glusamine Chrondroitin helps with the joints, and arthritis..

Jarro-Dophilus or other good Probiotics for colonization of good bacteria for good intestinal health..

Colostrum or Transfer Factor for general immune system improvement..

Calcium, from what I have read, is best absorbed in the aspartate and citrate forms..and Magnesium in various forms..glycinate and aspartate..

B-complex vitamins and METHYL B-12 sublinqual or B/12 shots and B-complex shots

A good basic multi-vitamin, being sure not to take too much zinc (50mg is upper dosage), preferably no iron or copper

DRINK A WHOLE GLASS OF WATER WITH ALL SUPPLEMENTS, AND ABOUT HALF GALLON TO A GALLON/DAY BETWEEN MEALS..REDUCE YOUR LIQUID INTAKE WITH FOOD, AS IT REDUCES YOUR DIGESTIVE ENZYMES...

I am sure there is more, but those will get you started...

~~Amelia~~

[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2003]
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

But would like to add that Magnesium taken at bedtime can be of great help too.
    Klutzo
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What I take.............................. 03/21/03 01:10 PM
    I take mainly,supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. The only med I take is Xanax, low dose (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm for racing brain syndrome. It can also be taken with OTC's Advil gel caps, the Xanax enhances the effect of the Advil, and it is a great pain reliever. BUT do keep in mind that Xanax can be very addictive if used consistantly.

Xanax is an anti anxiety drug, a rather old one. It is addictive, but I only use it once a day, or if I feel an attack coming on.

I have listed below what I take, hope it is helpful. If you have a question, please feel free to ask me, be glad to help.

Shalom, Shirl

Product; Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule after or during lunch) This helps with brain fog, and energy too.

Product; 800IU's of Natural Vitamin E
    (For numbness, heart, blood etc)

Product; Ester C 500 milligrams
    (antioxidant, helps prevent colds, virus etc.)

Product; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6)
    For sleep, deep sleep also helps with muscle pains.
    (2 capsules at 10pm )

Product; Jarro-Dophilus (Probotics)
    3 a day for IBS, replaces good bacteria

Product; Melatonin (5milligrams)
    To help fall asleep, take right before bedtime.

All the above can be bought from Pro Health, be sure to ask for a free catalog/Newsletter too. If you want to call the number is; 1-800-366-6056 or you can order on-line. Just go to the 'Store' link on the top right of this page for additional information on supplements.

Product; Essiac Herbal Tea by Resperin Corp.
    This is a blood/liver cleanser. It is also known as a cancer cure/preventive.
    I take two ounces in the morning two ounces at night.
    Can be bought at most health food stores and Supplement catalogs.

Product; Polynesian Pure Noni Juice
    (I take one teaspoon before breakfast, one before lunch for my IBS, it is a great product). I order it by the case!
    Can be bought in most health food stores, be sure you get the 'pure' juice or it won't work.

Product; Natural Calm put out by 'Natural Vitality'
    This is a powdered Magnesium Citrate.
    (I take a teaspoon a day for pain, especially spasms . But don't take too much it will give you diarrhea).

This is about it for the time being, as for a multi vitamin, I have trouble digesting them, so I drink two cans of Ensure a day for the multi.

Also, I drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt. This has helped with severe sinus headaches, and it seems to have helped the Fibro Fog too.

Here is some good advice; I strongly recommend you add ONE thing at a time for at least a week or two, this way if you have a problem with a product/supplement, you know what is causing it. If you try to take too much at once then if you have a problem, you would have to quit everything and start over again.
    I learned this the hard way, so though I would pass on this wise advice!

It took me years to get the right things that I could take. Wasted a lot of money on eyerything from doctors, prescription meds, and vitamins and herbs too.

Just remember, we are all different, so some of what I take might not be the right thing for you. It really is trial and error with these illnesses.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am usually here everyday, but not at a special time.

Shalom, Shirl

PS, always buy the best supplements you can afford, as you really get what you pay for with supplements. Pro Health has some of the best ones I have ever taken, and I am not just promoting them, its the truth. I have taken there products before I ever heard of this board.

8. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

To be honest, DHEA is the only one that I have ever really noticed a difference on. Helps with energy. Side effect is
    increased sex drive but most people don;t mind.
  9. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

...for me anyways. I take other things too but that seems to be the single best supplement. It's a detoxifier and analgesic. I read somewhere on here where someone was experiencing flu like symptoms while taking it and that is normal. As the toxins are released into the bloodstream, a rebound affect can occur. It's very,very important to drink lots of water with MSM to flush everything out. It can cause jitteriness at first if there are a lot of stimulants in the system but all that passes as your body adjusts.

Carolyn
  10. sujay

sujay New Member

You're right, doctors don't learn much about nutrition in school (there's so much else to learn; it's easier to write a prescription than to tackle the complex issues of trying to get people to make lifestyle changes; there's been an explosion of new research since we graduated; supplements are NOT REGULATED by the FDA, so many decide the safest way to do no harm is to stay out of the kitchen. This is all unfortunate because OF COURSE nutrition is vital to maintaining health, particularly for those of us who are dealing with chronic disease.

I, personally, have a great deal of respect for Dr. Shari Lieberman, and have found her book, "The Real Vitamin and Mineral Book", to be sensible, well-documented and very easy to use. I would caution, though, that it's important to share what you are considering with your physician, because it's only part of the puzzle. Remember that some supplements are downright dangerous or may interfere with other drugs that you are taking. Even vitamins taken in higher doses may be in pharmacological ranges that require a doctor's supervision. (Anything that's taken out of food and put into a capsule might fit in that category.) Just another reason it's important to find a good doctor to work with you. (If you already have one, please see if you can get permission to add his name to the doctor referral list accessed on one of the buttons above.)

DO NOT STOP TRYING TO EDUCATE YOURSELF. It's clear from reading through the messages posted on this board that many of you are proactive and working hard to learn how you can improve your health. Please don't leave your doctor out of the loop. This could be an opportunity for him to get educated, too.
  11. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Digestive Enzymes and B-12 shots.

Lane
  12. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

Hi Tania,

This message is probably not going to be of any help to you, but I'll let you know my thoughts anyway. I have been living with this CFS "condition" (as I call it) now for just over two years.

I have tried taking anti-depressants, The Pill, Vitamin C and other Vitamins, St John's Wort, Valerian etc. etc. etc. ... this list really goes on. On a recent Dr's visit, my Dr advised to stop taking everything, and see how my body reacts. So, I did ... and if a person can feel slightly better with CFS - I do. I'm still tired, exhausted and have the same old aches and pains - but I actually feel "better" than before when I was taking all the supplements etc. I felt like my insides were working overtime trying to sort the supplements out (originally prescribed by my Dr).

So - I'm just living with CFS - this "condition", at the moment without taking anything. Maybe you could try that too?

Blessings to you,
    Michelle
  13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

except a BComplex which seems to help with the
    moods. My pharmacist said and so did my doctor,
    that all this self medicating (and all herbs
    and supplements ARE medicines) are creating interactions that even skilled highly trained
    people have problems keeping straight. A person can be doing serious damage to themselves and not even know it since not all effects are seen immediately or even after a long time to the untrained eye. To each his own, but until I get a degree in herbology? or my MD, DO or something, I'm leaving the prescribing to the doctor...supplemented with the advice of my pharmacist. Just think of all the things they've
    found to be dangerous after people have been taking them without apparent problems, including
    prescription drugs. At least the doctors and
    pharmacists have some education in such matters
    and MAY catch problems early. I wouldn't operate
    on myself and I won't prescribe for myself. BUT..that's just one opinion and we all have them. Hugs, Bambi
  14. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

All of my supplements are based on Dr. Cheney's or other CFS's doc's research as deficiencies that we tend to have.. also, based on tests I have had that indicate achlorhydria (no acid in the stomach for digestion), Maladsorption Syndrome, and nutrient deficiencies that are indicated by the clinical symptoms I have been diagnosed with, and in concert, with all that I have read on these DDs..

I do think that people should carefully individualize their own plan..especially, if their problems are different from mine or others..I have, very carefully, picked out the supplements that I think are needed..for me, but they are based on Cheney's research and others..

..Also, these are targeted at the causation of much of my problems, rather than using prescription drugs to treat mainly the symptoms..finally, I have reduced the prescription drugs to only insomnia meds and thyroid, which if I could find a good alternative solution, I would replace..

Be advised that depending on docs to catch bad interactions is not realistic.(I have found numerous times that potential bad interactions have not been advised by various docs, which I have looked up, easily) IT STILL FALLS ON THE CONSUMER..also, naively, my mother totally depended on a board-certified doc,( in the specialty of her illnesses)whom she had seen on a bimontly basis for at least 5 years, who failed to diagnose a near-fatal illness in its early stages, and therefore, the progression of this illness (she was seen at The Mayo Clinic, finally, when it was almost too late) went unchecked and untreated and irreversible nerve damage has caused her to be bedridden, and a catapult of new illnesses have ensued due to her situation..

At some point, you have to take responsibility for your own health..you are never going to get the kind of time from a physician (if he knew what to do), that is needed to get to successfully maneuver thru these DDs..After being encouraged to wait for a "cure" that never came,(going on 25 years) and many wasted years on therapies thru MDs that did no good in those early days, I feel that it is necessary to get as well acquainted with the possible solutions as I can..Ultimately, whether we are ill or well depends on us..

Just a few thoughts,
    ~~Amelia~~
  15. mitch123

mitch123 New Member

The only thing that has helped me is high dose Co Q10 100mg twice a day and accupuncture
  16. sunnysideliving

sunnysideliving New Member

Hi All,

It is a great thread! I do appreciate all of your efforts to share ideas about supplements helped you.

Honestly, I could not find any supplement that helped me. :(
    However, I am new to these supplements, I used CoQ10 and Zinc+Selen, Vitamin Complex for more than a year by now (Although, it is far from 100-200 mg of Q10, that is recommended by some).

A month ago, I added Magnesium and Bee Pollen (It is an experiment). Since I have been taking them for only 1 month, I can not say too much about them.

Yesterday, I had an app. with my doctor and asked him about some supplements. He was not keen on any of them and politely explained that in Finnish food we have all the needed suppl. I think he did not understand my suggestion that I might need more of them than a "NORMAL" person. :(

Anyway, please keep on posting these ideas and experiences.

My mind is in deep fog now, so I might wrote some things silly here. Just do laugh at me. ;)

Cheers,
    Andras
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Dr. Sheri Lieberman that you spoke of, does she have a line of supplements on the market? If so, I have used her products. They were very good, and excellent quality.

I did not know she has a book out. Will get a copy this Friday.

Thanks for the information.

Shalom, Shirl
  18. friendtoo

friendtoo New Member

i ALSO STOPPED TAKING MY SUPPLEMENTS, i FELT i WAS CONTIOUSLY TRYING NEW ONES, AND EXH ONE SEEM TO REACT WITHS SOME PART OF THE DISEASE. i CAN UNDERSTAND TAKING C, AND B12 SHOTS WHICH I DO NOW, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE EITHER MADE MY STOMACH VERY PAINFUL, ME PASSING OUT, OR EVEN FURTHER BUGGERED UP IN MY BOWELS, AND MY FLUID RETENTION.

RIGHT NOW I AM AS FAR AS SUPPLEMENTS I HAVE A B12 SHOT ONCE A MONTH AND WHEN I REMEMBER TAKE VITAMIN C. CAN WE NOT FIND THESE IN OUR EATING, I CAN UNDERSTAND MAYBE SOME WE DO NOT PRODUCE ANYMORE, IS THIS TRUE? I HAVE READ SO MUCH ON SO MANY DIFFERENT PILLS, I TIRED SEVERAL AND DIDN'T SEE MUCH OF A CHANGE, MAYBE I DIDN'T GIVE IT LONG ENOUGH, BUT MY DOC, WHO DOES NOT BELIEVE IN ANY OF THAT STUFF (LIKE DIGESTIVE ENZYMES) SAY OUR BODY NATURALLY PRODUES IT. SO WHY KNOW ARE WE TODAY HAVE TO TAKE SO MUCH MEDICATION. HOW ABOUT A GOOD PAINKILLER WORKED FOR ME.
  19. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

More info on supplements

[ advertisement ]