What symptoms of CFS/FM can acupuncture really help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2sic2mooov, Nov 20, 2008.

1. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

I had my first session with acupuncturist just an hour ago. I do believe in it, but wonder what areas of CFS/FM hardships can it help? Pain? Fatigue? Concentration & brain "mush"? Digestive problems". I will be reading up on it alot, but wonder in what ways Acupuncture has helped any of YOU?

Had to wonder a bit bc when I filled out the history form and wrote CFS down as a medical problem, she asked me what it meant. I know medical professionals including alternative docs would have to be living in a CAVE not to know what Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is and not know that CFS stands for it!!!! She looked at my history form with all the listings of fatigue, insomnia, muscle and joint pain, visible arthritis type swelling and inflammation, back injury adn surgeries, digestive issues like esophgeal spasm, menstual or pre meno issues, etc...etc...etc... Most of our forms would all look the same. She looked shocked and said "i am going to go really slow with you".
    I wonder if most patients that go in have "only" one issue to deal with like "just" a headache, or "just" a certain neck or other pain. She acted like she was studying some extinct animal or something. I was a little put off but at the same time was kind of funny to see her reaction to such a CHALLENGING case.
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

In my experience with acupuncture, I've found that the skill and ability of the practitioner has effected whether or not I received any help or relief. Over the years I've gone to 4 or 5 different ones, sometimes it was helpful, sometimes not so much.

Even if the acupuncturist was not familiar with the term "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" (which I think is a little strange), they could still be able to treat you based on your many symptoms, as well as the check they should be doing on your pulses (we have several different ones), your tongue, and whatever else they may look for.

Once I found a really good acupuncturist, I've stayed with her. Symptoms that I've had help with vary, but have included uplifted mood (more cheerful, more optimistic), improved energy, improved thinking clarity, better digestion, improved sleep, reduction in pain. Other things helped have been detoxification, treatment of scar tissue, post-surgical recovery.

For me, acupuncture has been a great complementary medicine. Good luck, I hope you find help, too.

3. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

Iv'e had 5 back surgeries and scars are really bad. I had no idea acupuncture could help scarring.
    Am hoping to get help with fatigue and sleep. So much else i have learned to tough out.
    Funny, she did look at my tongue...
    Hope this might help some bc of course is not covered and it's expensive. I feel guilty spending money when not able to work and have 3 kids at home to raise yet. Alas...
  4. pasara

pasara New Member

Acupuncture really helped me, and if you can afford it I would really give it a shot. If you have insurance, check to see if they cover it, because several companies are now.

Acup. helped me especially with pain, physical tension stuck in the body (unable to relax muscles), emotional release, improved energy, improved sleep habits, positive feelings, and overall well-being.

As far as the comments of your practitioner, I have a couple thoughts. It might be that she is not particularly experienced. If that is the case, I would look for another one who is and who even specializes in CFS and Fibro. But, what also came to me is the thought that practitioners of alternative therapies just don't operate by using labels in the same way that MDs do, but instead look at the specific symptoms you are dealing with. If you look at how people here describe their CFS there are a wide range of experiences all under the same label.

Also, going slow is good! It sounds to me like she is taking your case very seriously. How refreshing! But that does need to be coupled with experience. good luck!