What tests do I need to see if im canidate for gamma globulin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WW68, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. WW68

    WW68 New Member

    Hello all..I saw a post about gamma gobulin. what tests do I need to take to see if I am a canidate for this, and what Dr. does the testing?? I was trying to get the tests done a few yeears ago, but was having trouble getting it, because i have crappy insurance, and they did not know what to test for. thanks all....WW^*
  2. tiredTina

    tiredTina New Member

    I must have missed the post you are referring to. My 17 mos. old son has a condition known as "Hypogammaglobulin anemia of infancy." His gammaglobulin never kicked in and has immunodeficiency. He started to show signs of it kicking in through the blood tests, so he never got IVIg. He goes to UCLA Immunology, and they do all the testing there. The lists are a mile long! I can find out for you what exactly they test if that will help you. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for and wanted to check with you first. Let me know!!!

  3. dd

    dd New Member

    Hi WW,

    The test that you want to ask for is 'Quantative Immunoglobulin Levels'. This will show if you are deficient in IgG, IgM, IgA, IgD or IgE. You can ask at the same time to have the subclasses of the IgG tested also so that you don't have to make an extra trip to the lab or drs office. Drs usually like to do the subclass 1, 2, 3 and 4 after you show a decifiency but I would ask anyway to save time and money.

    I was just dx'd last month with a PID (Primary Immune Deficiency). My total IgG levels came back real low so then the dr ordered the subclass testing and I tested low in sub 1 and 3. I just had my first IVIG infusion last Friday. It really was not that bad. I had a terrible headache for a couple of days but now feel a lot better and my energy has increased.

    An Immunologist is usually the kind of dr that you want to have this testing done.

    If you have more questions please let me know.