What tests should my doctor run?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ldoty, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I have been dx with FM for 2 years. I believe I have had it longer but... Anyway, can anyone suggest tests my doctor should run to rule out anything else that might be going on? I don't know what to ask and he certainly doesn't suggest anything, not even an MRI for my back pain. Now my fingers and wrists are starting to hurt and he says it is probably arthritis. Please give me some basic tests that I should ask my doctor to run.
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have also had a lot of tests done to rule things out.

I can't remember them all but here is some of them,

thyroid, white/red blood cell count for infection, lyme disease, gluten sensitivity , muscle diseases, heavy metal testing , liver, I'm sure there are more that I can't remember. (brain fog)

What I did was look at all the possibilities that FM mimicks and then was tested on those things.

All my tests so far have come back normal.

GOod luck and keep us posted.
  3. swollen

swollen New Member

First they make a psychologist appointment ,a rheumatologist and then a pain management Dr. and a physical therapist. then you get CBC,ANA, CMP check for tender points and ask about your child hood diseases past traumas or surgerys and family history.
  4. Jadelioness

Jadelioness New Member

I've been a lurker for a couple of weeks. I'm new to all of this and only suspect that I have FMS. It all started with a phone conversation I had with my brother. His girlfriend has FMS. He listened to my list of problems and said it sounded just like her. So, we compared notes, I did some research and found I have all the symptoms.

I went to the doctor for another problem and asked to be evaluated for FMS. A resident evaluated me first, left out some details and when my doctor came in, without asking me anything, she said "you don't have the markers for FMS." We're going to test you for other things to rule them out. I took that as a definite answer that I was wrong in my suspicions.

I have found out that I have iron deficiency (could explain fatigue) and my ESR is slightly high. My ANA is borderline high. Rheumatoid factor is negative, but can be negative in those with rheumatoid arthritis.

Now I have to wait a few weeks for my followup appointment with her. She ordered a few more tests - a lot of them are antibody tests. She also suspects I'm borderline or prediabetic. I had a fasting glucose of 109.

I started taking iron pills and right away I felt like I had more energy. We don't know the cause of the anemia though.

I wanted to ask others who have been diagnosed if they had to go through a long process to be diagnosed - is this typical? I have heard this is typical for people with myasthenia gravis - only because my sister has it and I know it can be confused with chronic fatigue syndrome and is often misdiagnosed.

It can get real depressing - especially when you can't put a name to what is going on inside your body.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I never went through a phsycological exam? nor was made to go to a physical therapist for testing??

Tests to see if you have Fibro? My personal experience:
    a history was taken, then lots of bloodwork. Also referred to a rheumatologist to confirm my doctors suspicions - an extensive panel of blood work tested, then a more indepth panel, to rule out RA, another test for RA, celiac, Vit D deficiency, (a few others that I can't remember unfortunately)

Then a phsysical exam - checking for tender points etc.

There are many illnesses that mimic or have similar symptoms to other things that are easily diagnosed through bloodwork. So obiviouly your dr. will want to rule those out. Your doc really should have a good idea of what to test for. If he/she is not, a referral to a rheumagologist is a fantastic idea.