What the Dermatologist Said: Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Oct 17, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

Well, I went to the dermatologist last night. He was giving me a skin cancer check-up and prescribed some lotions for me.

He saw on my chart that I have fibromyalgia. He said 'You have fibromyalgia?'

I of course said 'yes'.

You know his answer?

'You poor,poor dear. I am truly so sorry you have that'.

And then he put his arm around my shoulders and said 'Rest up'.

This from a dermatologist. Isn't that something?

nyrofan
  2. srollins

srollins New Member

color me impressed.
  3. webintrig

webintrig New Member

I would have just broke down and cried and ask him you know about this condition?...how?...food for thought when you go back to him.

You have found a keeper.

Yeah!!!!!

Great news and thanks for sharing that!

webby
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I would have started bawling. This reaction is so unusual that when it happens I start bawling like a baby who lost a binky!!

5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you for sharing that. I, also, would have been sobbing. Just knowing someone, especially a doctor, understands is wonderfully overwhelming!

Give that doc hugs from all of us the next time you see him!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I had a great Dermatologist who told me he "believed" in FM at my first appointment. He had a patient with FM who had committed suicide and he truly understood how devasting the pain and other symptoms can be.

I think a lot of dermatologists see FM patients because we end up with acne, weird rashes and stuff, so they are tuned into it a little more. Whether or not they "believe" in it or not - well, that's another question..

- julie (is free!)
  7. God bless that Dr. He surely must be a kind, caring man.
  8. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

wow! how wonderful! I am so shocked when someone actually believes us and gives sympathy!

hugs Redwillow
  9. chickadee

chickadee New Member

I was explaining to my dentist that my jaw hurt and I felt like it was myofacial pain. He and hygentist both quickly agreed that with fibromyalgia (on my chart) that it probably was and hygentist actually tried to massage trigger point for me. (She helped some).

Dentist and hygentist told me that they had been to a conference about fibromyalgia and they gave me the name of a chiropractor that knew about trigger points. (Haven't called the chiro yet.)

Except for the rhumy who diagnoised me with FM, I am finding that most doctors do recognize fibro and sympathize with it but just don't know what to do about it. Maybe this will change ...some day soon.

Peace,
    Chickadee
  10. ....dermatologists must see a lot of fibro patients with the same thing over and over----skin rashes, acne, odd allergies, hives, etc etc etc---the only "visible, measurable" symptom, or one of the very few (my neuro-once sympathetic, but never towards fibro--told my mother when she asked "do you think they will find a cure for FMS, he flatly, quickly said "NO." With great suprise at his quick, firm answer, she raised an eyebrow and said "NEVER?" and he said again, less aggressively, but still firm in his standing "No,"

Must have been in a badddd mood that day....I've seen him in really really foul moods, maybe 3 times in the 3 yrs I saw him (haven't seen him since march-april 05--going to soon though, Pain clinic doc is kind of demanding it.

But, anyways, neuro can *clearly* see unsteady gait, falling, (he let me fall twice one day in his office. while walking right along side me, with arms out to "spot me" then did NOTHING when I fell hard, into the floor. He was already sitting back at his desk, when I got myself halfway up---my sister was stunned.

Yet, he disputes my MS diagnosis, while 6 or more others have dx'd me and he was the FIRST one who only spoke of MS as a dx due to age, history, symptoms, clinical exam, & lesion location---then I get dx'd, and he says "I don't feel comfortable with that--3 being neurosurgeons, my PCP, my radiation oncologist (who had very much the same reaction as nyrofan's dermatologist, about my Fibro more than the MS! as well, celiac's disease (he was veryyyy educated on celiac sprue, and my trigeminal neuralgia, which he was treating.)And a very educated neurologist/author finally did SOMETHING to treat me, that wouldn't hurt me MS OR FMS-wise.

So, he can obviously see fibro symptoms, since he wants to dispute the MS dx, after 3 yrs of saying himself it's most likely MS. On my charge slips the last 6-7 visits, he'd write "fibromyalgia, intention tremor" (UGH! My PCP, Integrative med doc, etc could've done that!)

Anyways, my radiation oncologist, DID put me in tears, but, I was nervous about the procedure I was about to have (specialized, well planned radiation on the trigeminal nerve) had it twice now though. But, he put his hand on my knee, and said "I'm sorry you're so young and have to be so sick with all of this, but, at least we'll do our best to fix you up today."

Pathetic, I suppose, or angering, when just that little bit of extra kindness, understanding, compassion,(that ALL drs should treat people with) brings us to tears, because of the way we've been treated so horribly, by others.. a shame. but we sure do thank god for those very rare few kind ones. Stops me from giving up...

Thanks for posting, I think--no, I know, by reading, it made ALL of us feel better..

Laura
  11. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, Nyrofan, my dermatologist took one look at my skin rashes & asked about my health problems (listended & entered them into the computer) then looked up at me & said I have Gulf War Syndrome. Yes, dermatologists do see lots of symptoms. While not exactly true, his observation showed me a connection that I hadn't expected with his white coat.

Yesterday I went to get new glasses for the first time in years. My optican thought I'd died or moved as I hadn't been in. When I said FM/CFIDS he instantly responded that some of his patients had it too. He was very sympathetic, much more so than some of my ex-doctors!

best thoughts to you all
  12. pamlamb

pamlamb New Member

hi. I have roscea, which sounds a lot like your description. The colder wind will turn my whole face raw and red. Lotion helps eventually but it is so hard to go out in public that way. My derm is great, but she never mentioned a connection with roschea/fibro. I'll ask her about that, I see her again soon. But, not suprising really, it seems everything is lumped under fibro these days. Lots of symptoms but no answers. I hope yoou get better treatment soon.
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

One patient was later DX with mild Parkinsonism. Lots of info to read just search

fibromyalgia intention tremor

Also some of this is carried on to the children by the mother, Fibromyalgia mentioned lots.

Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]