What the heck is a Tens machine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsolider, Oct 5, 2006.

1. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Excuse my ignorance but what is this Tens machine that pops up every now and then? How does it work? Can someone fill me in here?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

too much myself, except that we (the insurance company) bought a lot of them in disability cases.

As I understand it, the tens unit is a small box that you wear/carry. You press a button and it emits electrical impulses to counteract pain.

Maybe some user can tell us more. We used to pay $700 for them. I understand they have some cheaper models now for $100.

Well, there we go. Prickles to the rescue once again.[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2006]
  3. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

My husband has been down for almost 2 weeks with his back problem ( he's had 2 surgeries in the past). He must have a very bad pinched nerve right now, and we are just praying it's not a ruptured disc.

He just won't go to the doctor. He said he's been thru so much with doctors, and he's just going to suffer it out.

A friend offered to lend him her "Sports Massager" it's called. Well, it's really a TENS unit. He has been using it for 2 or 3 days, and he's actually up walking some today.

Our computer won't be installed until this weekend, so he got a friend ot go on line and order him one for about $50. We had called all around town to the medical supply companies, and they ALL wanted over $300.00 !!!!

We heard that at one time Walgreens sold them, so I called my druggist, and he said don't pay $300, order on line. Good advice. My husband was so desperate to get one, he was about to pay full price!

I don't see how that little box can help, but it does.

I'm looking forward to using it too.

Kinsie
  4. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Thanks, for the info! Glad to hear there is another non-pill option out there.
  5. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

I use my tens Machine alot.

Prickles is right on the money with the discription of it. I love mine and glad to have it as the pain is intense and it does minimize it.

I had to see a physical therapist to get mine but it was worth it.

Take care.

Gos bless you too!!

Noahvale--Kathy