What thyroid test should I ask for? T3? T4?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tngirl, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. tngirl

    tngirl New Member

    I would appreciate any guidance you can give me. I know that I have read that you can test normal and still have a thyroid imbalance because they are not testing for the right thing.

    What should I ask for?
  2. tngirl

    tngirl New Member

  3. elsa

    elsa New Member

    TSH ... just as a matter of course.

    T4 free, T3 free, rT3 ( reverse T3 ) and antibodies.

    You will probably have to push for these tests if you are seeing a more traditional doctor. Also, insurance will balk at some of these due to the cost.

    They will allow TSH, total T4 and Total T3 .... not the others unless your initial tests come back out of range.

    They really, really don't like to pay for the rT3 test.

    I got help from an integrated doctor on a fee for service basis. This way I got the tests I wanted, when I wanted and had someone trained in our (CFS/FMS) screwy thyroid issues who could help put me back on track.

    Good luck with this. It has made a very big difference in my life .... treating the whole HPA axis has actually.

    Take care,


[ advertisement ]