What time do you (finally) rise/wake up for the day? any good ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

This is an embarrassing thing to me, that I sleep away half of the day. But, I don't go to sleep until about 4-6am...and that is usually when I am sitting up with my laptop in my lap....

I take 1/2 of an ambien (so 5 mgs) well, actually now it is a generic called...zolpidem and a xanax and a couple percocet around the same time...it sounds horrifying but I hardly feel anything for hours....and then when I do fall asleep it is like my mind goes to sleep before my body does....???

so I don't have that sleepy feeling and then lay down....also, the reason I take such a low dose of the generic ambien is because i hate forgetting what I do and say after I take it....that is a post in itself! and it freaks me out that i don't hear the alarm go off...ever...and I sleep a couple hours sitting up and then get up and drag myself around while my boys are getting ready for school...and as soon as they leave, I am back in bed....

and THAT is the time that I feel sleepy and I have that wiggly feeling that I used to get when I could sleep at night, that cuddly feeling of "I love my bed and I never want to get up"

then I will sleep soundly from 9am until 1 or 2 pm....then i might doze off and on until the boys are home from school and want to tell me about their day...and hubby makes supper and the kids sit on my bed and I help with homework....that is when I usually am awake...

so, am i alone in this? are we all like this? I can't imagine what time I would need to take my bedtime "pharmacutical cocktail" to fall asleep at a normal time and get that cuddly, sleepy tired feeling at the right time......

I want to try taking melatonin or the fibro/sleep supplements....but only if they really help...i hate taking a million vitamins because then I need to get up to pee every 2 seconds....from drinking the water to wash down the HUGE vitamin....

anyone have a good RX of sleeping med to recommend?

thanks in advance!
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I go to bed at about 8:30 am and usually don't get up until 7:30 pm. I've been sleeping days for several years now. Almost as long as I've had CFS and FM. I've tried every way I know how to turn this around but have had no luck. A few years ago I was able to temporarily sleep a little at night and stayed up part of the day, but I was so groggy all day that it wasn't worth it.

I only take a Benadryl to help me go to sleep. It doesn't work at all if taken at night but helps a lot to put me to sleep in the daytime. I still wake up at least 8 times or more during my sleep hours and often take a long time to go back to sleep.

The longest I've ever slept at one time is about 5 or 6 hours straight. This is not very often. Day sleeping is not ideal. Medical appnt's are hard to do and getting anything done around the house is impossible for my husband because he's trying not to wake me.

I know what you mean about the wonderful feelings of going to bed and feeling so relaxed and wanting to stay in bed but I don't ever get that anymore. I really miss being comfortable in my bed and feeling drowsy enough to just fall asleep. I never feel sleepy anymore, exhaused and sore, tired enough to be in tears, but not really sleepy. I don't know why this is. Maybe there are a lot of us with this illness that experience this problem. Interesting topic! GB66

3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Ditto, ditto and ditto!!

My sleep pattern is horrible. Last night for instance I went to bed at a reasonable time (11-ish) and was still awake at 2:00. I have also taken sleep aids, like klonipin and soma (a muscle relaxant). For me, it also takes several hours to kick in. Even if I take them early, like 8:00, I'm still staring at the ceiling at 1:00 or 2:00.

I try not to sleep during the day so I can sleep better at night. I don't know why I bother......doesn't make any difference!

Part of my problem is having to get up anywhere from 4-7 times in the first hour of laying down to pee! And, it doesn't matter how much I've had to drink before bedtime. Granted, I have some kidney issues right now that I'm in the middle of being diagnosed for. But whatever the cause, it really puts a crimp in the sleeping thing!

And, when I DO take meds - I'm also like a zombie the next day.

Oh, what are we to do?

Sleep well folks.....no matter what time of day it is!

JEANSKI New Member

Been there!

Don't take a sleep med that makes you feel like that. There are other meds out there. I take Trazadone when I need help. I can pretty much fall asleep on my own now though. I've taken Remeron also, the soluble tablets that dissolve on your tongue.

Don't use your computer a few hours before bed. The light from the screen stimulates your brain to stay awake. Ditto for the tv. Read or listen to music. I know it sucks not being able to do what you want but we are too sensitive and it screws up our sleep. Its just not worth it.

Make sure you are not eating anything that can be stimulating also. You'd be amazed what can keep you up. Try eating foods that can help you sleep. You can google a list of them.

It will take time to turn things around but don't give up. Its worth putting things in place to become one of the "living" again. LOL

Another good thing is get out in the sun during the day for at least 15 minutes.
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I started reading your post and thought I'd forgotten writing it -- we are pretty similar! I don't go to sleep quite so late, but I have the tendency to stay up until 1 or 2 a.m. even when I have taken my 2.5 mg of zolpidem at 10:30 p.m. I used to take melatonin, but stopped when I ran out -- got some new stuff this past week, so will be starting again.

Like you, I get up when I need to get my son (and husband) out in the morning. I head back to bed after and sleep until about 12:30 or 1 p.m. Then I'm up for the day. I am most active in the evening.

All this changes when I work -- a few weeks ago started back part-time. So now this schedule only applies on days when I am home. I figure I actually sleep about 8 or 9 hours, so I just have a delayed sleep cycle.

You can bet that I am terribly grumpy on those days when I have to get out of bed (and stay out!) at an 'early' hour. But the worst part is just the first 15 or 20 minutes. I'm better after a shower and some caffeine.
  6. janenec

janenec New Member

I may not be as bad as some of the others that have posted, but I have a lot of trouble sleeping well the whole night. I take elavil 25 mgs and 3 mgs of melatonin. When I first started taking the melatonin I only took 1.5 mgs and then worked my way up. I truly believe that the melatonin works for me. I will admit that it helps shut my mind down enough that after I read for a bit I can go to sleep. I do however, still wake up off and on throughout the night and don't usually feel rested at all when I do wake up. I take adderall in the morning 10 mgs and it works to get me going and concentrate on what I need to get done the rest of the day. I do have to take a lot of breaks during the day, practically after every task I do, from the dishes to the laundry. But since I am at home now I am able to pace myself.
  7. spacee

spacee Member

Dr. Cheney divides his patients into two groups. The ones who are awake during the day and the ones that come awake (their brains) in the afternoon and they can stay awake all night.

After a terrible year of wake two hours/sleep two hours. I have gotten myself to sleep 12 hours...can you believe it? and then I am up for 12. I sleep usually 11-11. It is embarrassing to
    tell people that need to come work on the house to not call before 11 but I have to. I tell them
    I have a sleep disorder....true!

I upped my klonopin from 1mg to 1.5. And I save .25 xanax to take when I awaken in the middle of the night...take with a tylenol. Towards waking up, I might have to fight to make my brain stay rested with a dark room and earplugs but it helps to stay on that schedule. I take the klonopin (generic) 1.5 hours before I go to bed.

I take enada (sold here) and a ultram (brand name) to wake up in the am. At 4pm I take
    i/2 of a 5mg ritalin and drink a very small diet cola.

Took me a year to figure out that for me. And, of course, we are all different!

Best to all!

8. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I tried taking trazadone and actually had taken it years before with good luck BEFORE i GOT SICK.... and then now, if I take it, I am soooooo groggy the next day....and at night I felt so drugged and that was a low dose....flexeril does that to me too....even if I take 1/4 of a pill at night , i iwll be unconscious the next day, all day....hate that dead feeling...

I think the (generic) ambien needs to go....and I need to try something else....i want to sleep when my family sleeps and be awake when they are awake....it is a nightmare all summer when my boys are home from school and I need to stay awake until hubby gets home...or if I give in and have to sleep, they keep coming in my room to ask me/tell me something....

I was surprised and well, not happy, that there are so many like me...but maybe relieved that I am not the only one....that it is a normal problem with fibro...i just can't sleep....

oh, another thing i have noticed is that when I sleep during the day and it feels so nice, my dreams follow the sounds in the house...if the tv is on, i will dream about what is on the news..so, i don't think I am sleeping very deeply even though i do feel sleepy for a few hours...

i remember when the kids were little, being ready to sleep at 9 or 10 pm every night....and it was just minutes and i was asleep....

i am going to try melatonin next and maybe a new RX....this is just ridiculas...rediculos...rediculas?? whatever....
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

My sleeping pattern is completely opposite for what I did for 30+ years while I worked! I used to try to get to bed by 11 pm because I got up at 4:30 am every morning to get ready for work.

I have been retired now for 10 years. The last 2-3 years I have my days and nights mixed up. It is 1:30 a.m. now and I probably won't even go to my bedroom until 4:00 a.m. Then, it takes me an hour or so to take all of my medicine. I sit on my bed and take my glucose reading, then I fill two different syringes of insulin to take. While I'm doing that, I am checking my TiVo (Digital Video Recorder) on everything that I've taped that day. Before I take my shots, I take my first group of nightitme meds. I like for each group of meds that I take to set for at least 30 minutes before I take the next group, because I take so many. By the time that I get my TV all taken care of--delete all of the shows that I recorded and have already watched in the other room, set my TiVo up for the next day, and start watching my first show for the night in my bedroom.

Then it's around 4:30 am and I take my second group of pills, go back to the kitchen and put my insulin in the fridge, turn all the lights out, etc. and go back to bedroom and finish watching TV. I'll eat a package of peanut butter crackers so I can take my last group of meds at around 5:00 am. Then I remain sitting on my bed until 5:30 am watching TV because I don't like to lie down after taking all the meds for at least 30 minutes so they won't destroy my esophagus--I'm strange, I know!

I'm not down more than 30 min. and I have to get up and pee again. So, it seems like it's 5:30 am or 6:00 am before I finally lie down and I'm ready to go to sleep. However, I'm still wide awake, even though I took Neurontin, Cymbalta, and 3 tablets of Zanaflex, a muscle relaxer, when I took my first group of meds, and all these should make me a little sleepy.

I sometimes don't end up really good and asleep until 8 in the morning. Even though I get up 3 or 4 times during the day to pee, I still go right back to sleep. I don't get out of bed until
    around 4:00 pm but have slept as long as 7:30 pm if I'm feeling really bad.

If any of my adult kids come in, I tell them to always wake me up, and they do. I'll get up any time in the afternoon if someone wakes me up. But if I get up early in the afternoon, I'll either fall asleep in the chair at night or have to lie back down early evening for a nap.

I didn't have any problems as long as my husband was working, but he retired last year. He is out working on the farm most of the day and I always hope to be out of bed before he comes in, because he will wake me up and give me the same old lecture about sleeping my life away and getting up when the rest of the world is awake, etc.

Sometimes, he is really angry that I sleep all day. He goes to bed at 7:30pm or 8:00 pm! He sleeps until around 2:00 am, comes downstairs and drinks a pot of coffee, smokes a few cigarettes, and watches a movie on TV in the living room, while I am in our family room watching TV! I'll hear the same old bull again some nights when he's up. I try to go to bed while he is still up. He'll stay up until around 4 or 5 am and goes back to bed until 7:00 am.

We both have odd sleeping patterns. He will laugh and tell people that they can call here anytime - 24/7 - because one of us is always up!

The days I go to the doctor is really rough because I have to set my alarm and hope I hear it and get up to go. The minute I get home, I normally have to go back to bed.

I really wish I could get my days and nights straightened up, and I've tried, but I just can't do it either.

My doctor just shakes his head when he asks me if I'm still staying up all night!

10. hopeforcure

hopeforcure New Member

My cfs dr. put me on doxepin and it is all I use for sleep now. I sleep ftom 11 pm to 10 or 11 am, so I now sleep a lot. I think it is better than the lunesta or remeron I was on.
  11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Melatonin really messed up my sleep cycle a couple of years ago. For some reason it has been particularly bad lately. I rarely make it out of bed before noon. It is sometimes several hours past noon. I have difficulty getting to sleep before 6 or 7 despite xanax and herbal teas.

There is a lot more to circadian rhythms than sleep. When I go to bed ‘early’, I will wake up during the night to go to the bathroom and/or eat. This never happens when I am sleeping during the day. I have to be careful what I eat before noon, since my digestive system is still on it's 'sleep cycle' and is easily upset.

ilovepink4 - like you, I dream about what I am hearing, whether it be the radio or other sounds in my environment.

My physician gave me some remeron which is a melatonin agonist and is supposed to help reset the sleep cycle. I am going to have to give it a try, maybe starting tonight.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2010]
  12. spacee

spacee Member

It has been recommended by Dr. Cheney and Dr. Lapp for two decades. I can't take it
    cause it aggravates my skin pain but wish I could take it.

13. Juloo

Juloo Member

Where do you get it? Our local health foods store used to have it, but stopped carrying it, and now I can't find it nearby. So I'm still quartering the 3 mg ( or 2.5 mg when I can find it). Do you get it online? (Please excuse me if ProHealth has it -- I will look there, too.)

Update -- checked ProHealth,but they only have 2.5 mg. No 1 mg.[This Message was Edited on 03/25/2010]
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Juloo, I found l mg melationin at Drugstore.com online. I have ordered items from them for several years and they are good to do business with. GB66
  15. Juloo

Juloo Member

Gb66 and jaminhealth -- thank you for your replies!