WHAT TIME DO YOU GO TO BED AT NIGHT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Apr 27, 2006.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I am curious about bedtime habits....i have read that going to bed at the same time each night helps...i take 5 mgs of ambien each night (which isn't enough but i am so hungover the next morning if i take the 10 mgs) and it takes a while to fall asleep...that is ususally at 1 or 2 a.m.! then i have light sleep until i have to get kids up for school...

do the ppl who go to bed earlier, at the same time, truly do better? i feel if i go to bed earlier, it is just more hours of laying there awake...

who is having true success with sleep habits? anyone feeling rested? i am pretty much homebound...it is a chore to go anywhere...i usually stay in bed unless i HAVE to go somewhere....then it is hell and i pay for it the next week...
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

watch TV or do computer til PM-watch a relaxing TV show.Take my Kadian at 9-wait until I feel slightly sleepy and take 2 trazadone.I sleep 6 hours ,then on and off until AM.

I take me Neurontin and muscle relaxers and doze until 8.It's no always that way but it's as close I'm going to get.Have been this way about 2 months wish me luck-it's a long way from staying up days straight.Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2006]
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

go to bed about 3:00 or 4:00am.
  4. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

I was very interested in the replies to this. I take 2 klonopin at night and I still do not go to bed until about 1:00 A.M. and get up about 6 or 6:30.

I have been like this my whole life.
    My nick name is "up all night" to my friends and family. They say that it does not matter when they drive by..that my light is the last one on in the neighborhood.

It sounds like that is true of all of you. I do always wake up around 3:00 A.M> too. I think that someone posted something on this also.

I have no idea what brings that on. I guess I get up to see if anything happened during my 2 hour nap. haha.

"lilchisler"
  5. day2day

day2day Member

Its funny how I can be so bone crushingly tired, can barely move, yet can't sleep.

I honestly can not remember what rested feels like. I can't imagine what it feels like to be rested. The most I have felt is a little less exhausted, but then of course I try to play catch up a bit and that goes out the door.

day2day
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have been fighting a bad case of GERD and erosive esophagus and sometimes when 2 AM comes, I'm still wide awake.

Like tomorrow my cleaning girl is coming some time after 12 PM, so I like to get up around 10:30 AM. Well it is hard because I basically need about 9 hours at least of sleep. It has been a real problem for me. Normally I try to get up around 11:30 AM.

There have been days I have been up all night, and slept until 1 PM on weekends.

What gets me up is I have to watch the tape from the previous day of my soap As The World Turns. It comes back on at 2 PM, so I need to start the tape by 1 PM.

Last night I was really tired and went to bed at 10:45 PM and didn't get up until 11:30 AM. I was still tired too. But the previous day only got 3 hours of sleep due to terrible GERD chest pains.

I don't go to bed at the same time each night.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Geez! we all sound so similiar! the other 'night' i had my light on until 6 am!!! i kept dosing off and waking up with the stupid laptop in my lap....and my dh slept in my sons bed cuz my son was sick and in bed with me...dh alwyas chews me out for having the light on half the night! i just can't stay alsleep....i am always hearing the kids, or get hungry, or am uncomfortable...i used to take neurontin and it knocked me out...and flexeril...same result which is great until morning,...then i am out trying to drive kids to school under the influence!!!struggling to stay awake....the ambien weirds me out..i hate that i can't remember stuff i did or said in the morning....it just wont wear off in time for me...so i only take 5 mgs...also, my dd and dh always laughed at the odd things i did at night and didn't remember the next day...

even on the low dose, i cringe if i email something stupid after i take it....or buy stuff on QVC and don't rememeber..i have a doc appointment next week and i want to discuss taking soemthing else...i might go back to trazadone...i used to take that a long time ago without prob's....

i laughed at someone's post about 'getting up every 2 hours to see what happened during her nap!!!' so true!

8. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

I go to bed at around 11pm sometimes 12 am.
  9. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I have recently started Bright Light Therapy - I use it every morning at 7.30am for 30 minutes.

Since starting the therapy I am now going to bed somewhere between 9pm and 11.30pm - and FALLING ASLEEP!!!! This is amazing since I would usually be awake until 2 or 3 am.

I am also taking 100mg Nortriptyline at 8pm, 3mg Melatonin at 9pm and 2 x Imovane (Zopiclone) as I get into bed.

I'm still waking up at 2 or 3 am, and then dozing on and off till I get up at 7.30am.

My sleep is definately improving since starting the light and melatonin.

Hope this helps
    Michelle
  10. Musica

Musica New Member

Unless I go to bed late often enough and then get tired and go to bed earlier for awhile, I oftentimes don't get to bed until between 12 and 1. Sometimes 11, sometimes 2. Not good for having to leave the house around 7:30!

It is a strange thing about Ambien. Sometimes 1/2 will make me feel groggy soon and sometimes a full one will take over a half hour to work. If I am too awake when I take it, it doesn't work quickly. Can you take 7.5? The ones I have are uncoated oval tablets so they can easily be broken in half. I imagine you could break or cut them in any size increment so you could take 3/4 of one.

If a shower helps make you sleepy, you might try that before bed. Unfortunately, a lot of times, they actually wake me up! If it isn't too warm, you might try an epsom salts/hydrogen peroxide bath to relax you and help make you sleepy, before you take the Ambien.

Oh, and I have heard a lot that going to bed (and getting up) at the same time is good for you.[This Message was Edited on 04/27/2006]
  11. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Since I was a child my parents were convinced that my natural circadian rhythm is hours later than the rest of the world. The only "natural" time I can sleep is 3am to 11am. Not good when you have to get up at 6am everyday for work.

I've tried melatonin, going to bed earlier, getting up earlier...but it always returns to 3am-11am. Maybe I should pick up a graveyard shift ;)

-GoAskAlice
  12. mejlee

mejlee New Member

I don't fall asleep until 5:00 or 6:00 am, and when on flexoril I can sleep till noon. But even with the meds. I often can't fall asleep until 10:00 or 11:00 am and then I will wake up by 2:00pm. About once every 2 months I will actually sleep 8 to 9 hours.

My peeve... I have never in my life been able to nap. Last year I started to get sleepy around 6:00 pm. For some reason my family doesn't get it that they are not allowed to wake me up! It never fails someone will always wake me up by 7:00pm with the "Well I didn't want you to have trouble falling asleep later tonight." ARGH!!!! Anyone else have this problem?
  13. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi - you might try looking into the Bright Light Therapy - it works quite well with shifting the circadian rhythm back.

Check out www.sunbox.com

Cheers
    Michelle
  14. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I used to have trouble falling asleep, but since taking calms forte, ZMA & Cal/Mag, I fall asleep within 10 minutes. I'm an early one......by 8:30-9PM; sleep til about lAM; then retake ZMA, Cal/Mag, Calms & add Klonopin.

If I've taken 5-HTP, I usually go back to sleep fairly quickly. If not I might have to add Dalmane & then sleep til about 5........twilite from then on.

I know I'm not getting deep sleep, as I dream continuously. But in hindsite I'm getting "more" hours; just not better ones.

And I've had insomnia since the birth of my daughter when I was 21, so it's also a genetic issue. And I have to have blackout drapes, fresh air, filtered air, no interruptions............

Hoping my neurofeedback will address this issue for me down the road.

LIGHT*********carole
  15. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i take a bath every night....i will try cutting the pill into 3/4 instead of 1/2....the prob is a.m. grogginess...but, if i get my can into bed earlier it will help!
  16. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I go to bed about 10:00 then I read or watch TV until midnight. I get up with the alarm at 10:00 a.m.

The above-noted routine works out 3-4 times per week, the rest of the time my sleep is erratic.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

17. cycling

cycling New Member

I was surprised with the answers! I go to bed as early as 8:00pm especially in the winter. I'll be watching the clock and just wait for 8 In the spring and fall I'm usually up till 9:30 and the summer I'm nonexistent. I always dread the summer. The hotter it gets the worse my symtems. I get up @ 5:15am During the bad times I usually fall asleep around 4:00am. I won't get up anymore though. If I can't sleep I stay in bed and keep my eyes closed. Right now I'm sleeping 3 cheers for sleep a precious gift Have a good day! cycling
  18. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i took trazadone for insomnia long before i was sick with fm, cfs, mps....it could be a cause...
  19. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

6 hours after I fell asleep.That is 3am.Linda
  20. ibnormal2

ibnormal2 New Member

I go to bed when I get sleepy...I never go to sleep at that time...I am up and down all night...I am not allowed to take anything to help me sleep because of the sleep apnea...I wish I could go to sleep and stay asleep just one night a week..I average about 15 hours sleep a week....I do that for 3 or 4 weeks and then I do a crash and burn...At that time I go to sleep about 8pm and sleep until noon the next day...Then back to the old routine again...I am begging for sleep now...This illness is hell on our bodies....Kathy F....