What time do you take Klonopin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi everyone

My doctor has finally relented, after months of me asking, and has prescribed Klonopin to help with sleep and sensory overload.

I've been reading up on old posts, but I cant see any info that relates to the best time to take the dose.

I took it last night as I went to bed,but I was abit drowsy this morning.

I'd appreciate hearing from others taking this drug. What time do you take it, and what dose are you on?

Thanks, take care
    Michelle
  2. namow

namow New Member

20 years!!!!!! It is the only thing that help me sleep.

I take 0.5 mg.

Good luck!
  3. misskoji

misskoji Member

I've been on it for about two years. I'm on a higher dose of 2 mg at night and 1 mg daytime (as needed). It still makes me groggy in the morning. Without it I get less quality sleep. I take mine about an hour before bed. Then only IF I need it, I'll try to take about .5 mg daytime, and progress from there. I hate taking meds as often as I do, but this one I need for mostly at bedtime.

When I first started taking it, I could hardly function the next day. I guess I would just say it's something you have to adjust to. Also a good person to ask about this is your pharmacist.

Hope this helps you!
    Deanna
  4. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Wow, that is a long time! Have you noticed any problems with increasing tolerance to the drug? That was one of the reasons my Dr did not want to prescribe it.

Also, what time do you take it?

I took mine at about 10.30pm last night, but I think I will try a little earlier tonight.

Thanks
    Michelle
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I take all my meds including my 1mg of klonopin one hour before bedtime, Watch a show, gt on the computr and go to bed.

I helped with my senory overload too. I had something really upset my the other day and took it at 5 pm and was calmed down a hour later.

If I wait until bedtime, it seems to take longer to wake in the morning.

It works on everyone differently=Carla
  6. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I just happened to come thru here (not able to post lately...due to so much going on)...anyway...I had to respond to you.

This has been a life saver for me as far as help to sleep, sensory overload, tremors. I only take 0.5 mg at bedtime...but it makes a world of difference. I can now stay asleep.. Before, I was waking everytime I reached deep sleep! It was like as soon as I reached the deep sleep I was shaken awake.
    I have been on it for almost five years (the first time...I was on it many years ago for stress related issues).

But, now I know that it was the beginning of FM/MPS. My doc increased the dose to 1 mg. about a year ago...but to keep from needing to increase the dosage. I will take 1 mg ONLY if I am overly exhausted from pain, etc.... otherwise I take .05 mg. It has worked for me for this long without increasing.

I hope this helps you.

Love....Mari

P.S. I love your profile picture!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2006]
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

getting the real deal...i have been up so many times at night it isn't funny...then i have to get up at 7:45 am...if i am lucky i get to go back to bed after i drop the kid off at h.s.

then i take a nap till about 11 am...then off to college i go...

jodie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I take it when I want to sleep, usually around 10:00. Klonopin puts me to sleep in about 30 mins. With the generic, it takes about an hour. I wake up alert and refreshed. I think the grogginess in the beginning goes away after one has been on the drug a while. Also, I started out with .5 mgs. and added the other .5 mgs later. Sometimes, it is better to start out slowly and work up. I've been on this same dose now for about five years.

Love, Mikie
  9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have found it to be a bit slow to work, maybe it's becuase I have the generic - hadn't clued in to that! Anyway, I take it early about 7:30 - 8 PM.I am on 1 1/2 tablets of the 0.5 mg. I sometimes need something else to get me to sleep which I take a little later, but the Klonopin has made a huge difference to staying asleep.
    Perhaps taking it early means I don't have the hangover effect that people are talking about.

Kathy
  10. namow

namow New Member

Like I said I have been taking it for 20 years and I still am taking the same amount, once in a great while I take more depending on the stress level but I always come back to my usual dose. It does help me sleep, I have to take it about an hour before bedtime.
  11. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

for about 5 years and I've never gone up in dose...in fact I'm come down from my original prescribed amount of l mmg. I still don't sleep that well, but a larger amount is not any better, and without it I feel I barely sleep at ALL.

I like to split my pill and take one earlier in the evening, then the other half right before bed (which is about midnight for me). I wake up tired, but more functional than if I'd had nothing, and not NEARLY as brain-smacked as I used to feel during the time I tried to take Elavil or any of the old tricyclic anti-depressants.

After many decades of miserable nights, I've found something that reliably helps, even if a little bit. And I've finally found a doctor who respects my desire to possibly be on it forever.
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,

When I first started taking meds when I went to the dr. 6 months ago (after being dxed at that time and having the symptoms for over 20 yrs.), my doc tried me on generic Flexeril 10 mg. at bedtime for sleep. Well , it helped alittle bit but not awhjole lot. Sometimes, just tht one drug will work at bedtime.

However, it (gen. Flexeril) didn't help that much so she tne told me to take generic Klonopin (0.5 mg) at the same time. I take mine about 9:30 (both together) and go to bed usually about 10:30 pm.

You just have to experiment and see what works for you. If you feel real groggy in the AM you might want to try taking it or them even earlier than an hour or so that night. I have always been groggy in the morning so it hard for me to tell, even when I wasn't taking meds. (-: !!

Hope this helps you.

Blessings and warm hugs,

Marilyn (Granniluvsu)
  13. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Thanks for all your responses - very helpful indeed!

I took 0.5 mg last night and I'm also trying to reduce off another sleeping pill called Zopiclone (I'n not sure what you call it in the states). My time alseep has not improved yet, but I guess its a little early to tell.

If it helps with teh sensory overload and burning skin I will be very happy!

Mari - the dog in my photo is actually my mums -he is such a sweetie - he weighs about 20 kilos but likes to sit on your lap like a cat!!

Thanks again, take care
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]