What to do about clinical trial

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chipnchia, Aug 10, 2005.

1. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

I went today for the screening for the trial for cymbalta. I "passed" and can enroll if I want to. Here's my dilemma:

I have to stop my prozac for 30 days before starting the new drug

I would either get 20 mg., 60 mg., 120 mg., or a placebo

The trial lasts a year and during that year I cannot take anything other than regular tylenol for pain. Sometimes I take 800 mg of motrin when I'm feeling really bad, and I take Tylenol PM several nights a week, on average.

So -- do I enroll in this trial? Or should I go to my doctor and try to just convince her to put me on the cymbalta (and not have to NOT take anything else).

What to do . . . what to do . . .

Chipnchia (Karen)
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

I wouldn't. A year is a long time with out any pain relievers. What if you had some pain unrelated to FM ?

If the medication is working for you, then I wouldn't change what I'm doing. FM treatment is so risky.

Do you really get by pain wise with just occasional ibuprofen and tylenol PM? Wow, not me.....not in a million years. Tylenol PM especially. You are a lucky girl!!

Just my thoughts, but I wouldn't risk the chance of a year on zero treatment.

Good luck,

Elsa
  3. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

Yes, I am lucky that I don't need much more than that.

I've had this at least 10 years . . . at first I felt a lot worse than I do these days. Of course, that was after I switched to part time work (and in the process, stopped being a manager), quit taking college classes, and a few other things I loved. :)

Chipnchia (Karen)
  4. schaken

schaken New Member

I think that it might be worth a try. I went off the very few drugs that I was on to get in the Milnapricin trial.

There should be a paragraph in your study paperwork that will allow you to go off the trial if you don't want to continue. In the case of Milnapricin, it worked for me. I have now completed the trail and am trying to get on the cymbalta.

Ask Toga. I don't know if she was on antidepreaaants.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Leslie
  5. Musica

Musica New Member

clinical trials are voluntary, so I believe there is always a clause that says you can stop at anytime. It gives you a chance to see if it works (if you think you have some strength of the real thing), for free (I don't know if cost is an issue), and you CAN stop at any time. I would be scared to, without an "out", for that length of time.
  6. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

I did ask what happened if I ended up feeling just awful and was assured I could drop out, if it was something they couldn't help me with. What she said was, "we won't let you be miserable.

Chipnchia (Karen)

7. matthewson

matthewson New Member

If you just want to switch to cymbalta, I would just ask your Dr. to give it to you. Clinical trials are important to see if a medication works or not. If you start in the trial and then drop out, that is not going to help the results of the clinical trial.

I could not survive without my pain meds so for me, this would not be a good trial. There are other trials out there for FMS that don't involve going off medications. I am filling out the paper work for a trial to see if accupuncture helps with FMS pain.

I think you need to ask yourself why you want to participate in this trial. If it is not because you want to help with research of medications, then I wouldn't do it.

Take care, Sally
  8. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

Sally, great question!

I'll have to mull that one over because I think you're right -- that is what I have to decide -- my motive for doing this!

Thanks for the brain "jog."

Chipnchia (Karen)
  9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I for one have been taking it for about 8 months. You can see by the responses how it works on a lot of us.
    Print it out and take this to your doctor . Then see what he or she thinks about it.
    I agree a yr is a long long time with no pain meds I could not do it.
    Good luck
    Sue
  10. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I just re-read my post and I may have sounded a little harsh and I didn't mean to! I'm glad that it has helped you to make a decision.

Take care, Sally
  11. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

Sally, no need to worry -- I didn't read your post as harsh at all -- just pointed out a very good thing to think about!

Chipnchia(Karen)
  12. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

I'm wondering now . . . . maybe I SHOULD just talk to my doctor and see if she'd try me on cymbalta?

Sorry to obsess about this . . . guess I'm just looking for more opinions.

Chipnchia(Karen)
  13. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

After mulling this over (thanks, Sally!), I decided that what I really want is to just give Cymbalta a try.

So, I have a call into my doctor asking if she'll try me on it. That way, I can take my Tylenol PM if I want to, can take motrin if I need to, etc.

Plus, today is supposed to be my last day smoking . . . and I can't see myself going off of everything AND stopping smoking at the same time. My husband would be scraping me off the ceiling (or throwing me out of the house!).

I'll let you know what the dr. says!

Chipnchia (Karen)