What to do about muscle spasms in neck

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I hate taking the flexirl for muscle spasms cause they make me so tired. I will take them at night though but during the day I try to tough it out.The muscles are so tight on both sides and of course the pain has to travel up the back of my head.I have those lidroderm patches and they really don't help that much.I wonder if this could just be tension.More than likely it is FM.Any helpful hints?
    Thanks,
    Sheila
  2. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

a RICE SOCK?? LOL, seriously!

I got a large sock of my husbands, long enought to know it will reach around both sides of my neck.

filled it up with rice, then tied a knot to keep the rice it..you don't want to pack it totally full, leave some room for it to be bendable.

Then i warmed it up slowly in the microwave. For a minut sometimes 2-3 minutes depending how warm you want it.. don't worry it didn't cuase a fire.

Then you can drap it over your shoulders/ neck like a scarf or a workout towel.

You can sleep comfortably with it, until you fall alseep and it falls off. anyway, i got tired of how ugly it looked, so i just sewed me up a new one, with my sewing machine, kinf of like those little things you put in front of a door to keep the cold air from comeing threw the bottom crack.

I hope you know what i mean. I don't like to take something that makes me sleepy during the day either, lord knows i need energy! But my Dr just gave me a script called soma, not sure how that'll effect me yet.

Take care
    saph
  3. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

helps me more than anything else for neck muscle spasms and muscle spasms in other parts of the body.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

OR if i can tell I'm having a sinus headache I also take an antihistamine and sometimes valium if really needed, altho I don't use the latter more than 1-2X week...

My neck problems are partially from sinus headaches, and partially from slightly herniated disc between C6-7 from accident 18 months ago...

heat alone won't work for me, I need the complete rest of putting my head down/laying down at minimum...

hope this helps!
    V
  5. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have been down lately.Had a big scare the other night with a severe case of pain.Scared me so bad.All I could think of is what am I going to do if this doesn't stop hurting.And because I do suffer from severe depression that just feeds that problem even more.I did take a muscle relaxer tonight.It has yet to kick in but I am still hoping.

I remember the idea about the rice and the sock.Glad you reminded me.A good idea.
  6. poopedout

poopedout New Member

hi, i just seen your note on neck pain...i get it so bad, i can't even drive my car,,cause i can't turn my neck to see anything or to park the car...i also was taking flexirl for the spasms,,didn't put me to sleep,,didn;t really work either...then the doctor gave me soma tabs,,they work a little,,but the neck pain is still there..i noticed that when i am really under a lot of stress,,that is when the muscle spasms get worst...
  7. code34me

code34me New Member

Sheila the pain in my neck has been present for ever it seems. I have a 3 year old son and a 13 year old daughter. I tell my doc that I can not be dopey or sleepy (especialy with the 3 year old he is 100 MPS!) I recently got a med for pain called Ultram (50mg tabs) It is a non-narcotic pain med and I take it with a dose of Tylenol and it really helps me get through the day. My doc says it is fine to take both at the same time. So that is my tip for the day to you. Also I go to chiropractor once a month and I love it. Take care Codey
  8. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I am so sorry that you have this problem. I have had it too, including surgery for it. I found that during the day I could wear one of those warming patches, I would also take tramadol for pain (which is non drowsy) and that would help a lot. I also purchased a massaging chair pad for my chair at work (20.00 at Target). In the evening I would take the stronger medicines, also good hot showers in the am to loosen up the muscles.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

with terrible migraine due to overexercising the neck I think. Pain in neck was bad. For once, instead of heat today I used a bag of frozen veggies and it helped, then I did the heat bath with Epsom. Tying tennis balls in a sock and resting neck hard against them helps sometimes, also I have a $35 shiatsu massager that helps. I found that ultraound helped me once but not the second time. I am sure the migraine that was horrific and has left me scared and trembling, came from the neck. I get sick of the neck thing as I go to PT and do all the exercises faithfully, and only so computer 20 mins at time, watch posture, and nothing works really. Love Anne
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sheila:
    I use rubbing alcohol and massage my neck with it.
    For whatever reason it seems to help. I also massage the knots that I can reach in the area.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  11. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

It is like today.I turned my neck to the left and I got this sharp pain,almost like the beginning of a cramp in my neck.It made me holler a bit.I waited a minute and kept doing what I have been doing and it happened again.

About surgery, what kind of surgery and why did you have it?

Thanks,
    Sheila
  12. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I've been using those self stick well heat pads....i have to put some medical tape on them to help hold the pad on my neck, but if I use these once a day (each one lasts about 6-8 hrs) then my neck and shoulder pain is less....not gone, but more bearable.
  13. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I have been using Bio Freeze Roll Stick for the past year and find it really helps my neck, back,shoulder and knee pain. I wouldnt be without it.

You can get it in any drugstore.

Mary