What to do for headaches?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karbear, Mar 4, 2003.

1. karbear

karbear New Member

Does anyone suffer from headaches frequently? I seem to get them for a few days straight then I will be fine for a few days. Nothing seems to help yet, Tylenol, ADvil ,sinus meds. and now I'm trying Aleve..They just make me miserable and tired feeling..any advice would be appreciated...God Bless all of you.....karin
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

If so, I have two things that you can try. In the little hollow between the back of your jaw and the bottom of your ears, you will feel a little lump on each side. Sit down on something comfortable and lean back. Close your eyes. Put one finger on the little lump on each side and press HARD. It should hurt if you are doing it right. Rotate your finger in a tiny circle over the lump, without releasing the pressure. Do this for at least a minute, two is better. Remember to press hard for the entire time. Some people put an ice cube in their mouths to keep from yelling. After releasing the pressure, continue to sit with your eyes closed for another few minutes. Your headach should be gone. This technique will stop about 90% of headaches. Method number two is to sit in a comfortable chair with your eyes closed. Pinch the little hollow between your upper lip and your nose hard. Hold it for a minute or two. This is a good way to get rid of a headache that is centered behind your eyes.
    Kathryn
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Are they migraines (do you get them on just one side of your head)? If so, tylenol, advil, etc. generally won't help, in fact can be counter-productive.

I didn't even know what a migraine was until recently. I just knew I had horrible headaches, always on the right side of my head, that would last for days & make me nauseous. No amount of advil would help. I finally researched & figured out that I had migraines. My doctor just prescribed something called Maxalt, & it's been a wonder drug! I have never taken any pain meds for FM, but these headaches were so disabling that I had to try something--I'm glad I did!

If you don't have a true migraine, which you may not----you may have some other type of debilitating headache----Maxalt shouldn't be used, but ask your doctor. If you can pin down the type of headache, even if you aren't sure what's triggering it, you may be able to figure out what's the right treatment.

Good luck, I hope you get some relief!

Hugs,
    Pam

4. kalina

kalina New Member

I am a long-time headache sufferer myself. Reading your post, it sounds to me as though you may be suffering from rebound headache. You said that you are trying lots of different analgesic medications. If you are taking these 2-3 times or more per week, please be aware that the medications you are taking in attempt to relieve your pain may actually be making your pain worse! If this is the case, your headaches are likely to worsen if you do not stop taking the analgesics. (To learn more about this effect, run a web search on "rebound headache.")

No matter what type of headaches you are having, any type of frequent headaches can have a serious impact on your quality of life. Because it sounds like you are having headaches several times a week, I would like to encourage you to see a doctor (preferably a neurologist). You may need to work with your doc to find a preventive medication that works for you. Good luck!

Kalina
  5. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Sometimes going to the doctors with the symptoms, times of days, figureing out what triggers them.. things like that can help control the headaches.

I clench my jaws, grind my teeth at night.. is what the culprit of mine was.. TMJ.

I did suffer from migraines for a long time.. since getting help on dealing with stress better, and controlling the night grinding.. its helped tremendously.

At time all I could do was lay in a dark quiet room to ease it a little. I took the meds you mentioned , and no relief.

I wish you luck, and hope you find a answer soon.