What to do when the exhaustion is unbareable

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlegirl, Oct 1, 2002.

1. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I am relatively new here, but I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed joining this group. I look very forward each nite to reading the days postings. My days tend to run together, so what happened yesterday and what happened 2 weeks ago might get muddied. I have for the last little bit (as I said Time gets blended together, the fog is quite thick at times and I really have to force myself to concentrate) been exhausted. Yesterday, I did work extra hard at work and I know I overdid it. And last nite I was soooo absolutely exhausted my body would not let me sleep. I was so sleepy and would fall asleep, but every 2 hours I awoke. Today, I have felt like I have been beaten. I just want to sleep for days, but I can't. What do you do to overcome the extreme fatigue? I know I cannot continue on this way! I take meds but they only take the edge off. I do work too hard, but that is the way it has to be. I can handle the aches and pains, but the fatigue is horrific. Please let me know how some of you all handle the fatigue and what you do to overcome the worst of days.
  2. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I am relatively new here, but I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed joining this group. I look very forward each nite to reading the days postings. My days tend to run together, so what happened yesterday and what happened 2 weeks ago might get muddied. I have for the last little bit (as I said Time gets blended together, the fog is quite thick at times and I really have to force myself to concentrate) been exhausted. Yesterday, I did work extra hard at work and I know I overdid it. And last nite I was soooo absolutely exhausted my body would not let me sleep. I was so sleepy and would fall asleep, but every 2 hours I awoke. Today, I have felt like I have been beaten. I just want to sleep for days, but I can't. What do you do to overcome the extreme fatigue? I know I cannot continue on this way! I take meds but they only take the edge off. I do work too hard, but that is the way it has to be. I can handle the aches and pains, but the fatigue is horrific. Please let me know how some of you all handle the fatigue and what you do to overcome the worst of days.
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I (don't grin) and bear it! On those days that I resemble a zombie I remind myself that a decent day is on the way. I wish I had a wonderfully uplifting answer.....maybe somebody else will...for both of us!
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I don't think you can do anything about the fatigue except curl up in bed with a good movie and just let your body and mind "regroup"!

Marilyn :)
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

except rest or perhaps a soak in the hot tub. That sometimes helps me.

I pushed myself to continue working for 6 months after being diagnosed with CFS. When I went from working 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 days a week and was having difficulty even doing that, I knew it was time to take a rest from work. Unfortunately it has ended up being 10 yrs and I am still not able to go back to work much as I would love to.

It has been a terrible financial strain but my body would just not let me work any more. I fought it and fought it but there comes a point when you just have to listen to your body.

Pepper
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I need to take meds to sleep. Before bed I take Trazedone, Desyrel and Ultracet. No matter what, they make me fall asleep. I work part-time and if I work too much I do experience more fatigue. My fatigue comes and goes. This week I have been fine when I get up, but by the time I'm at work I'm tired. I'm a legal secretary and I just work through the fatigue. I do not want to give up my job and see no need to go on disability. If I get tired and I'm at home, I sit on the couch with the remote, and just watch TV. I try to pace myself too. I don't know what medications you're taking, but I think you should speak to your doctor and have him/her adjust your nighttime meds.

Annette2
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Continuing to work too hard when one is fatigued is being in denial. I am my sole support and thought I had to keep working that hard too. One day, I simply could not go on and haven't been able to work in more than two years. You need to find a way to get your rest. Had I slowed down earlier, I might not have gotten so sick. Now, I'm really fighting an uphill battle. Take care of yourself.

Sleep, sleep, sleep!

Love, Mikie ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I totally agree with Mikie. The only way to combat fatigue...is not to overdo....This DD....if you keep pushing yourself to exhaustion, will finally say, enough is enough, and end your working altogether. From the little I have learned is that when we overdo, then we pay a price. My physician tells me, once you crash and burn, totally, it is very hard, if ever, to get back to where you once where.
    Karen
  9. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I just sleep when I have to. I don't make commitments anymore, I don't count on tomorrow. I do what I can when I can & just go with what my body tells me, right now I feel like I can get going here for a few hours so I will clean thru some closets, that will probably last for an hour or two & then I will put my feet up, nap if I need to. Thank God for crock pots, they allow me to put in items in the morning & let them do their thing, at least my family can still eat healthy. That is important to me to take care of them as bst I can. So far they are well taken care of, sometimes my hubby is down to only 2 ironed shirts but he is understanding. Oh yeah, gotta iron today too. I pace myself, I have learned if I do too much I suffer, like this wknd traveling 5 hrs each way to see family, I just am now starting to recover my strength.

Jaci
  10. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Welcome to the board - i've been here awhile, but still haven't filled out my bio - oops!

I was diagnosed w/ FM a year after being rear-ended, but have had symptoms/been ill on and off my whole life.

Almost a year after the accident, my doc finally gave me sleep med's, and my husband claimed that within 4 days my personality dramatically improved. I'm telling you this because of your waking up every 2 hrs. The problem w/ FM is that we don't go into to what they call delta 4 (stage)sleep. This is the sleep state you need to be in for your body to rest/repair/recover from the day. We startle, and awaken, never going into the deep sleep our bodies need. See your doctor for a prescription med to help you get the restful sleep you need. There are some common med's (soma is one) I've heard prescribed, but your doc will know whats best for you since they have your medical records. My doc prescribed a anti-depressant for me at bedtime to help me get the stage 4 sleep.

Nice to meet you, and I hope my advice helps!
  11. sean

sean New Member

I have used self hypnosis, it helps sometimes, but unfortunately, it is not always easy to induce hypnosis using induction techniques when you are very tense, and the effects are short term. Also need to be aware, that it's easy to over do things when you are feeling better.
  12. SickKitty

SickKitty New Member

I was diagnoised with FM last week, but have had serious health problems since 1995 after taking herbal suppliments. I have had CFS since that time, and still manage to work etc. My 'secret' is to work through the exhaustion when you can, and know you limits. When you just can't do anymore, don't beat yourself up, just veg. I tend to push myself more than I should, but it is what I need to do to get by. I often cry from exhaustion and frustration and that is a good release. I haven't woken up refreshed in nearly 7 years. Sadly, I am almost getting used to it. :p Take care.
  13. dd

dd New Member

Hi Poodlegirl - I have CFS and FM and for me the pure exhaustion sometimes is worse than the pain from the FM. I get so exhausted at times that my body just feels numb, that is probably why the pain from the FM is bearable on those days. Did that make any sense??? I hope so.

What helps me on those exhaustion days is B-12. I take it under the tongue and it just dissolves. It does help me to perk up a bit. I also give in to the exhaustion and go lay down and just veg. You have to give your body what it is asking for...rest, rest, rest....I used to fight it and push myself to do more and more. I paid for it for days later.

Wishing you a restful nights sleep.

Debbie
  14. JP

JP New Member

We all have our own path.

I worked pretty hard at the work/life balance gig for awhile. I ended up leaving my career due to concentration difficulties, chronic pain and exhaustion. I did not have a dx at that time. I will never know if I could have held on longer if I were better at balancing. This stuff has been pretty consuming. I have FM and a few other conditions going on right now. The illness seems to have a life of its own.

So, do what you need to do with work and try to be kind and gentle with yourself. There is a lot of good advice in the replies.

Take care,
    Jan
  15. witsend

witsend New Member

The hot bath works for me. I think it is a combination of relaxation, pain relief for some of the muscle aches, and it gets your circulation going. So a good 10-15 minute soak can give me a short second wind. On bad days I have been known to do this 2-3 times a day. It's good I live in the country and don't have to pay a water bill. Another idea is a scalp massage, that also gets the circulation going. My kids will help me out with this one and it helps the energy level and the headaches.
    Also are you taking something to get longer and sounder nights of sleep? Taking doxepin in low doses at bedtime does this for me. Getting better sleep management is crucial and your physician should be working with you on this. Good Luck.