What to do when they don't listen?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibromom68, Nov 26, 2006.

1. fibromom68

fibromom68 New Member

I am really starting to get very annoyed about my workplace.

When I brought in a Dr's note saying I could only be on the door or on self-check out where I work (I'm a cashier)They gave me a papers from the ADA that both me and my Dr had to fill out and then they had to be sent to the home office to be approved.

Well while I am waiting I am supposed to be doing either the door or self checkout like I said and I have to constantly remind them like everyday!

The reason for the restriction is because I am constantly dizzy/off-balance to the point that I have to use my cane to walk straight,not to mentain the shortness of breath,pain etc.

Is there anything I can do to get it through their heads?

ps:I work for Walmart - is any surprised?

Rhonda
  2. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Hey fibromom, so sorry to hear, people can be so cruel! I'm constantly dizzy/off-balance with bouts of vertigo. I am usually not out of breath though. I am curious since all the Doctors I've seen and not one of them can diagnose where the constant dizziness is coming from did a Doctor diagnose you?
  3. abcanada

abcanada New Member

So sorry you're experiencing such ignorance from your employer!! If you have a bit of sick time built up then use some of it, not that you should have to due to thier ignorance. Maybe think about taking someone aside (higher management). Explain your situation again and let them know they are puttting you at risk. Ask them to speed up thier process as your health is getting worse not better. I struggle with staying home, financially but now I remember why we felt me working just wasn't worth it. Because nobody gives a damn. I used to work for a dentist and even there we were mistreated . I hope you have a good day and get this resolved ASAP! Take care, Laura
  4. fibromom68

fibromom68 New Member

what is causing the dizziness.It is hard to describe the feeling.I feel like I have been taking Tylonol #3 and am woozy but of course I'm not and I also been having trouble with just my right ear going numb and I will hear humming nosies in that ear.

I was dx'ed by a ruemy 3 yrs ago with fibromyalgia and while I've had small symptoms come and go I have only had 2 major flares 3 yrs apart.I still think I'm towards the end of the 2nd one that started in May of this year.

For the shortness of breath,I still don't know about that either.I have had pulmonary tests done to check for asthma which came back normal and I have never smoked before.

Right now I'm taking a multi vitamin,calcium + D with Mag,Iron,lyrica,celebrex and just started on prednizone(sp?)
    for 30 days to see if that helps.

I'm starting to feel like a guinea pig :-(

Rhonda
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dear Rhonda,

I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through!! Sometimes companies/people who work for them are boneheads. (Sorry to be so blunt.) I had an experience where I had to take sick leave for an ovarian cyst, and during that time, our team moved offices, from the 2nd floor to the first floor. My boss had the nerve to call me and tell me I needed to come help them move! It's ludicrous how idiotic people are to ADA and sick leave.

My advice is to escalate, escalate and escalate again (IE as much as is necessary) to Wal Mart's management/and or human resource department until you DO GET THROUGH SOMEONE'S HEAD. It's ridiculous that you constantly need to remind them everyday. Tell them objectively as possible of your restriction and that you feel it would be a more efficient use of everyone's time if you didn't have to remind them every day.

By mentioning the time efficiency, you are showing Wal Mart how it benefits them. Unfortunately, that's what companies care most about.

I HOPE IT WORKS OUT! Let us know. :)

Much love, Erika
  6. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Hey fibromom68,
    Wait a sec this is so weird I also have problems in my right ear, I use to get tinnitus like hearing radio waves or people singing over and over again but I haven't had it in months. I also get pain in my ears too, it varies and I also sometimes lose hearing in one or both my ears like when your ears are about to pop but they never do. Did you go to an ENT yet? They diagnosed me with menieres disease two years ago but other ENT's and Docs I've seen after that don't think it's menieres anymore. Yet my ENG tests come back abnormal, two years ago my left ear was off and now it's fine and now my right ear is off. I am so tired of being dizzy, I am dizzy everyday, it goes from woozy to things zooming in and out to fast room spinning. Let me know if you ever find out what it is because I keep going to Doc after Doc. You should get checked out by an ENT regardless, if it is something serious you could prevent hearing loss. If I ever find out I will be sure to post on the forum. Sorry you got this too!
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I was an assistant manager for them for 8 yrs.I know how they are and how they can be around the holiday season.

I took the FMLA route so I would have no problems till my Doctors could figure this FM and CFS out.

Using that guaranteed I would not loose my job for one year and my doctors took me completely out of work till they could figure out if I would be able to go back.

Well I was not able to go back and was terminated after the year was up.But at least in my file it was put down due to medical disability as the reason Wal-Mart terminated me.That way if I ever got well I could return to my position as an assistant.

Not with them mind you.I was treated to poorly and I also do not approve of how they treat some of there associates.

I would suggest if you have State short term disability to see if your doctors would give you a time out until they can find whats causing this.

Good luck.
    Sue