What to do when you reach tolerance of a pain med

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ericdinbstn, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Hi everyone-

I was on Fentora and Fentanyl patches for pain. The two were working great. But I've been noticing that I need more and more of the fentora to make a difference. Doc said maybe I built up a tolerance to the med. He put me back on an old combination (that I had built up tolerance to) of Tramadol and Vicodin. The two aren't really working and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Doc suggested Oxycontin at my appointment, but I was concerned about getting on that drug. He also suggested many things I've taken before like dilaudid, darvocet. I guess what I'm looking for is any suggestions of meds and breakthrough pain meds that have been useful to anyone here. I know everyone's different, but I think I'm going to go back to the doctor tomorrow (he said if it wasn't working after 24 hours to see him again).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help. I've got fibro, and right now my rib pain is the worst.

Thanks again,

2. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

Hi Eric. I have RA and FM and see a pain doc. I have been on 20 mgs of Oxycontin 3 X a day and 15 mgs of percocet 4 X a day for breakthrough. I have been on this dose for over 3 years and yes, I am starting to build a tolerance also.

But I will say the Oxycontin has been a life saver for me and has allowed me to be able to still work full time and have some sort of a life.

You might want to just try it and see how it works for you. Good luck to a pain free life.

3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

It happens that we build up a tolerance to meds the more we take them and sometimes have to switch.

I just wanted to say that my mom has been on the Fentanyl patch for 5 years and hasn't built up a tolerance yet so maybe you can still take the Fentanyl.

Also, I have been taking Oxycontin 20mgs twice a day and it has been a lifesaver. I don't think you have any worse risks taking Oxy than you did taking the patches.
  4. btrekker

btrekker New Member

Eric, I am so sorry that you are at that spot in your life. That fear has always been in the back of my head. And I don't know the answer. It's terrible going through trial and error. One thing I can share with you that I was reading a study regarding pain meds and they stated that Darvocet gives a person just about the same relief as Ibprofen (sp?) I had a wonderful doctor ( a friend that trusted me and allowed us to work as a team since I knew how my body responded better than anyone. I was basically on Lortab 10/500 and could take up to 8 per day and Alprazaloam for my anxiety and help with insommnia. I have been having to have Demerol injections almost on a monthly basis for complicated migraines, as unable to take preventives. New place now, new doctor...Put me on the Oxycontim 160 mgs per day and wants to take me off the Lortab and has me down to 5/750 per day now. I actually was doing better without the Oxy and just the Lortab. But will most doctors listen to you? NO! I guess I have to keep telling myself that at least I have one that believes that we need pain meds for the pain. They are getting harder to come by. I hope that you ind something.
  5. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Went back to the doctor today. I took all of your success stories on Oxycontin to heart and asked the doctor to put me on. He gave me 40mg 3x day. I also asked him to put me back on the fentora losenges which I had good luck with, he just upped me from 4 a day to 6 (which is what I was up to anyway). I'm hoping that this combo will work.

Thank you for all of your advice. I think it was the number of you who said Oxycontin worked for you that made me say ok, I'm going to try this one.

Gentle hugs all. Feel good.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Good for you - I hope the Oxycontin works for you! It really helps me control the 'ups and downs' that the other shorter acting pain meds can't/don't do.
    I really can't ever tell that I've taken it, except for the fact that I don't feel the sudden drop when my other pain meds wear off. The only thing I've noticed is that it does not last as long as they say it does or should. Isn't that the way it is with all of them?? =)

Let us know how it goes for you!