What to do??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spiro, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Spiro

Spiro New Member

I was dx with FM a year ago and my fam. dr put me on a muscle relaxant, an anti-depressant and an anti-inflammatory. Those were helping with taking away the edge of the pain, but now I'm off of all because I quit my job in Sept and have no health ins. Just started a pt job in town, (no more driving and cheaper daycare) and the pain is unbearable.
    I want to exercise because I've gained so much weight since being diagnosed but everywhere hurts..even to stretch. My knee caps are off track(I did PT to help strengthen them)but sluffed after the therapy stopped. I fell a month ago and my left knee is really bad..not sure what I did to it. Besides having the FM and arthritis, I have a herniated disc in my lower back.
    Sorry this is so long and hate to whine, but can anyone give me suggestions as to what I can take (that I can afford without needing a prescription) and where to start as far as exercising goes so I don't hurt myself by doing it wrong?
    This board has been very helpful so far.
    Thanks!!!!
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Oh my goodness, you deserve much better than this. It's just so wrong that we don't have universal health care in this country.

I wish I had some great answers. The only thing I can think of is, does your state offer something like Basic Health Ins. for low-income people? In Washington State we have this, and it's a sliding scale depending on income.

Or is it possible to find a short-term health care plan until you may find it through employment?

Your knee and herniated disc are not something to take lightly, I'm not qualified to recommend anything other than be careful with what you decide to do.

I have heard of different pharmaceutical companies offering free medication to those unable to pay for it. Maybe someone else here knows how to connect you with that.

You're in my prayers,
    Hopeful4
  3. Spiro

Spiro New Member

Thank you for your prayers..
    I will search to see what affordable health care I can find. I just worry that I won't be covered now that I have all of these "problems".
  4. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

It's so hard to exercise when in pain. I had an ankle and knee injuriy over a year ago and maintained an exercise program since that time and lost 60 pounds, so hopefully I wouldn't continue to have problems. They do still hurt, but I'm sure it would be worse if the weight was still on. I still have more weight to lose as well. You will get there to. Where there is a will there is a way.

Did you keep the instructions from your previous PT knee exercises? That would be a good place to start is back at the beginning with those exercises. Did your PT have you use a stationary bike to warm up and do you have access to one now? If not try walking a little every day. On TV I've seen an exercise program done while sitting in a chair. This might be a good place to start. In my area it's on around 10 or 11am. If you're working maybe you could tape it.

Check at your local hospital womens health center, community college, arthritis foundation, or Sr. center for exercise classes. Many times you'll find classes through the hospitals are taught by PT's. Sometimes the Sr. classes will let others join in who have injuries.

Maybe you can ask a family member to pay for a class or gym membership for you for a Christmas present. With a gym you have access to a lot of equipment and a variety of classes at different levels. I take Yoga and have learned how to stretch safely and every instructor has always emphasized only doing what your body is comfortable doing and don't do it if it hurts. They ask if you have any injuries and help you make adaptions for them. The gym I belong to has a womens only workout area too, which is nice.

My favorite exercise class it a water exercise class approved by the Arthritis Foundation in a 92 degree heated pool. You can locate approved classes in your area at their website arthritis.org. The warm water soothes my pain and helps me feel better. If you haven't exercised for awhile you might feel sore at first, but after time you'll feel better.

The PT I've been working with who treats fibro patients wants me to get cardio exercise 5 - 7 days a week plus stretching everyday. That's a tough goal for me to meet.

As far as meds the only one I can think of is Ibuprofin at 800mg which will help me for a migraine and only takes the edge off the fibro pain, but it's better than nothing. It might help reduce any inflamation in your knee.

I hope this gives you some ideas and gets you started. In the long run exercise will help. I too had a lot of pain when I first started exercising. You'll get through it.

Good Luck to Better Health!!!

Jeanette
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

As part of my doctor's treatment plan, he suggests hydrotherapy. I live in a rural area and hydrotherapy tubs are not close to me and that would be an expense. I get the same results by getting in my garden tub. There are many products that you can buy to put in the tub to help with pain and soreness but that can get expensive. If you are on a budget buy Epsom Salt and warm (not hot) water and lay in the tub for 20 minutes. If you have time light a candle, add some aromatherapy, and do deep breathing exercises. I find that sometimes this helps more than a pain pill. It's also giving you some quite time for yourself.If funds are available the purchase of a Therabath Professional wax machine is great for pain in your feet, hands, elbows and knees. Try this and I feel that you will get some relief.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2005]