What to expect 1st appt with Physiatrist for possible FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by catmom50, Apr 5, 2006.

1. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

Just curious...My ortho is sending me to an MD/Physiatrist (for work up for possible FM), who specializes in FM and CFS. So I am wondering what will go on at appt, do I need to be prepared ahead of time? I am excited someone has finally maybe found out what is wrong with me. Hope I have some symptoms that day!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

My Lyme doc is a physiatrist. He also specializes in FM.
    On my first visit, he had me fill in a very detailed questionnaire that touched on every symptom you could ever imagine. He then did a physical exam and ordered up some blood work.

Interestingly, he started out as an endocrinologist, switched his specialty to FM, then when he began to figure out that many, many of his patients had Lyme, decided to try to fight that too.
  3. janana

janana New Member

When I was diagnosd in 03 w/FM the only doctor who really listened and was willing to try different things for the pain was my physiatrist. He was working closely with the pain mgnt doc at Kaiser with FM patients. They were trying to fin dout ewhat helped ,what different. To this day,3 yrs later we still have a close relationship. Good luck!