What to expect when undergoing treatment?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by sorekitty, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I will hopefully start with an LLMD within the next month or two. I have been focused on getting my gut dysbiosis healed and ready for Lyme treatment.

I am very concerned about how I will manage while I am on treatment. Will I be bedridden?

Right now I have to sleep for 2 hours in the afternoons plus a full night sleep. It is very difficult for me to get a lot of my tasks done.

I am most worried about my 6 yo son. He is quite a handful. He is on the Autism Spectrum (Asperger's Syndrome). He is very active and intelligent. He will not allow me to sleep. My dh has to take him somewhere so I can sleep.

I already feel I cannot do so many of my normal expected jobs because of my illness and if it gets worse please tell me how it will be?

I saw the movie Under Our Skin and it scared the heck out of me. I feel I must get treatment ASAP but have been dragging my feet because I'm worried of how to take care of my family?

Thanks for any advice.
    Molly
  2. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

You can do it, and you have to do it, if you don't you will get worse. Every year, I get a little worse.

Thank god, I was diagnosed in Nov. 08. I didn't know anything about Lyme Disease, or I might have suggested it to the doctors sooner. I was put on doxy and amox. I did have a very strong herx for about a week. My herx reaction did take place immediately (one or two days) into my treatment.

My herx consisted of headache, dizziness, hot flashes, nausea, and the definite need to lay donw. After that week I was ok, with just a few minor aggravations. Then after 3 weeks I was sick again for a couple of days, but it wasn't near as bad as the first.

I don't expect to herx again until the end of this month (because it comes in monthly cycles) and it may be so mild that I don't even notice it.

Maybe you can plan to try to start it on the weekend, or when you have more family support around. But, I urge you to get treatment as soon as you can. Sometimes the Lyme has done so much damage to the nervous system, that you can't overcome it. Please hurry....
  3. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hi Shalome,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. it helps a lot to know what to expect. Your ideas to start when I have extra suport or on a weekend is good too.

We get respite care for our son and they may try to increase our hours for when I start treatment. That would be really helpful.

Thanks again!
    Molly