What to expect with BIOFEEDBACK?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mnweb6, Feb 24, 2006.

1. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

Hi and good morning to everyone out there! Just an update, I am feeling much better (not throwing up now) today!! Still afraid to take meds though...Gonna start slowly...Thinking of just taking what I was taking before.

Ok, so I went to the pain clinic, and she is referring me to their Pain Team...I will begin Physical Therapy as well as a hand full of other things...One of them being Bio-feedback. Can anyone explain to me what this is? Did it work? I hope all of the stuff that I have to do is worth it! She is going to see me again in 3 weeks.

I have to meet with my exhusband today, and a parenting coordinator. We are supposed to figure out a parenting time schedule. If it can't be worked out we have to go before the judge. I do not have high expectations.

I will touch base this afternoon...I have a busy day...My 13 year old is going on a weekend retreat with his youth group. He is so excited he could barely sleep!!! I have to get everything together for him, and get him there. Glad I am not throwing up every other minute today!!!

Have a great day!!

Mindy
  2. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

Any experience with this???
  3. marw

marw New Member

YOu will like Biofeedback. It is not a magic cure, but helps many things, and helps control a lot of forms of pain. I was trained in it years ago....long before I got FMS....and recently had a refresher course.

There are different techniques for achieving it (a lot of therapists use deep breathing), but basiclly you learn to produce alpha waves with your brain....a very relaxed state, which leaves you feeling refreshed after about 15 minutes. You have to practice to learn it....use progressive relaxation or passive relaxation....your therapist will explalin these. Oh, and I learned to warm my hands by using my mind.

Personally, I find it helps at the dentist more than any other place. i used to be crying before I even went in there. My dentist told me I was scaring his other patients! But after I learned the Biofeedback, I could handle that fine.

In a way, I wonder sometimes how efective Bio is for FM because in the end you just learn to handle the pain in such a way that you actually are lying to yourself about just how much pain you are in. At least, that's what I did. I imagine I'm still using the Bio a lot because it became a kind of second nature for me to do so. It still doesn't keep me from needing pain meds.

But all in all, we can never have too many tools to fight this disease, so I think it is a good move for you. Just do not let anyone try to make it your ONLY pain technique. You need more than Bio, even though it does help.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but anyway it has been my experience. Another interesting thing to me: along with Bio, I have found certain Eastern music to have a very calming effect on FM. I woulder if anyone has ever reserached that?

I hope you post about how you like it and if it helps. I would be curious to know.
    Good luck to you!
    Margaret
  4. ljm527

ljm527 New Member

Had my first visit with a pain management psych doctor yesterday; he wants to start me on biofeedback. What will he do?

Thanks.......Linda