What to expect with first pain management visit?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeljoe, Jan 1, 2006.

1. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have my first scheduled pain management visit on the 26th of Jan. I have no idea whatsoever to expect from this visit. My PCP referred me to this clinic. I'm a little nervous about it. Could some one please share their experience with me? I am looking forward to some kind of relief for my Fibromyalgia, but a little bit scared too.
    Thanks,
    Angela
  2. Remnant

Remnant New Member

Whatever you do, ACT IGNORANT. They love it when you do that. Seriously, don't ask for medication, explain/list all of the medication you have tried over the counter and RX'd and explain that they have been useless to you, and in some cases the symptoms are worse than any tiny bit of relief you get. As most of us have experienced.

Be sure to thoroughly articulate your pain, using a pointer or ruler to point out hot spots. I had to spend a day or two thinking of all my pains, please note on paper or you may forget once you get there, esp if you suffer The Brain Fog. I tend to clam up becasue I feel like I have a third eye everytime I go.

My Dr. gave me ultracet. It's just OK, but nothing like what some other fortunate patients get for true pain relief. Let the Dr lead the consultation, and don't be nervous. You are there becuse you need help, you deserve pain free days.