What to take for a headache?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cindyvr, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Hi Everybody,
    I take Neurontin ( since June of last year) and for the last week now I have waken up with a headache that just doesnt seem to go away. Some days it messes with my eyes like it's getting ready to turn into a migraine other days it just a dull throb in the back base of my skull. Does anyone know what to take? I'vetried resting and sleeping and nothing seems to help.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
    Cindy
  2. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Thanks for your idea. Gonna try the Gatorade. I can't drink coke because it hurts my stomache. Hubby on his way home so he's picking it up now!!
    Cindy
  3. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Thanks for your idea. Gonna try the Gatorade. I can't drink coke because it hurts my stomache. Hubby on his way home so he's picking it up now!!
    Cindy
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Headaches that originate from the back of your head are normally "tension" headaches.

But, if the pains are coming through your eyes, maybe you should get them checked out.

When I get tension headaches, I will put an ice pack, or bag of frozen peas or other veggies, at the base of my neck and that will help relieve the pain.

I've also used ice packs on the top of my head, on my forehead, but are best placed at base of neck, or between your shoulder blades.

A gentle massage to your shoulders and base of neck may also help. That is, if you can get anyone to give you one!! LOL I could never get my hubby to massage my neck.

Like someone else said, if you drink a soft drink WITH CAFFEINE in it, the caffeine will open up the blood vessels in your head and help the pain. So, I don't know if Gaterade has caffeine in it or not.

Hope you get to feeling better.

You might also try 600 mg. of ibuprofen, and rotate with Tylenol. Rotate means take your ibuprofen and then 2 hrs later take the Tylenol, then your ibuprofen when next scheduled followed by the Tylenol 2 hrs after that, etc.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Excuse spelling. After getting this at hospital as part of a test last week and realising it actually cleared my headache(I have whole head pain that lasts for days and weeks) I intend to ask for this. I don't usually take pills, but I tell you, I understand this comes in patches and also as a lollipop.

It really worked, and I was thinking the lollipop would. Also my FM pain is like 70% reduced. And this is from having one drip tube full last Wednesday.

I also think that when they where down the esophagus, they pushed back some neckbones and nerves as my neck feels better and I can swallow. I have upper endos quite a lot for stomach(this was for heart this time)and I notice they always help my headaches.

Love Anne C
  6. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Gatorade does work... strange but it does. Also the only pain killer that works for me for regular headaches is Ibuprofen 600 mg. I take one of those and within 10 minutes the headache is gone and it works for tension headaches for me.

Hope you feel better soon. I have a headache literally everyday and I know that even the little ones aren't any fun.

hugs,
    Shananegans
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Do you have a humidifyer in your house? I get very few migraines since my hysterectomy but when I do now, it's usually because the air is dry in the house.

I've even set a bucket of water next to the heater to add some moisture. (Can't see it because of the furniture)

When I do get one, Excedrin for Migraines helps too if I take it right away.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  8. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i take topamax daily to reduce the frequency and severity of my headaches. but when i get a really bad one i take hydrocodone. i hope this helps.
    rachel
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and then some motrin...and just go lay down in a nice black room...

and wrap you neck in ice pack....

jodie
  10. CinCA

CinCA New Member

And they are always in the exact same place...almost just under my eyebrow, in my left eye socket area. They hurt so badly, and I get the full extra sensitivity to lights, sound, everything, and occasionally bad nausea/motion sickness. Mine used to be distinctly hormonal; now they seem to be tied to toxin dumps/detox (basically when my body tries to expel toxins, like if I'm doing gentle detox or exercise vigorously, whatever, it does it all at once and it's too much). And my old migraine meds (Imitrex, Maxalt) stopped helping. Like other posters said, sometimes downing a quick Coke will help (although never eliminate it), esp. if it's related to low blood sugar. Haven't tried Gatorade for migraines, but it does work great if you have low blood sugar or are dehydrated (which both in and of themselves can trigger headaches).

It also could be weather related (was there a recent change), due to stress, sleeping less, what you ate, anything. Was there something that has been different over the past week or so?

Lately for me, I've found with the migraines large doses of magnesium will temper the pain...sometimes...but I usually have to bear with it and wait 'til it goes away on its own. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you or at least be able to identify a trigger.

'Til then, I hope you at least can get some decent sleep. Headaches are so disruptive...I know!

Hang in there!
    C.
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Try two Alka Seltzer, it works for me.
  12. fpicklebaby

fpicklebaby New Member

Hi Cindy,

I suffer from FMS/CFIDS and used to suffer from Migranes to the point where I'd have to go to the ER to get knocked out...NOTHING WORKED and I've been on all of it. A friend of mine suggested I take a cotton cloth, soak it in Alcohol and tie it around my head tight enough to create a light pressure. Of course, I thought she was crazy. This one particular time the headache woke me up from my sleep. I was in tears and damn near wanted to kill myself. Those migranes when they come on make you pray for death when the pain is unrelenting. Trust me, I know. Cindy, I am telling you, RUN, don't walk and get yourself some Alcohol and a rag and some extra strength tylenol and lay down. I'll put my hands on fire if the headache isn't gone within the hour. If you can, try to sleep. I find that when I wake up, I'm good as new. Of course, my son laughs at me with my pseudo Karate Kid Head wrap...but hey, I'm feelin no pain. Good luck. Please give it a try. Just make sure not to saturate it to the point where the thing is soaking in alcohol as then it will drip in your eye and cause other problems. You want it damp but not soaked.

Regards.
  13. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Thanks everybody for answering my post. I tried the gatorade and it did seem to go away for a couple hours. Gonna try the other ideas too. I cant take Ibuprofen anymore Doc said I over did it with all that stuff before I was dx'd.
    I have had migraines since I was in elementary school! The only thing that would help then was sleep and that doesnt seem to help anymore.
    Thanks again!!! I really do appreciate it!!
    Cindy