What Triggered Your Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pookieruth, Oct 6, 2006.

1. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

How many of you know what triggered your Fibro? I believe mine was caused by a recent major surgery. I've read that trauma, emotional upset and surgery can all be triggers.

What was yours?

Lee
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

my fm/cmp? I have no idea! Luck of the draw? Genetics? Wish I new!
    Mini
  3. gongee

gongee New Member

Unfortunatly, what triggered my fibromylagia was a bad car
    accident. Thank God I survived it, but from that point on it has been downhill.

Sheila
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2006]
  4. blueyegirl57

blueyegirl57 New Member

Hi, My fibro. was triggered by a slip and fall at my job. After that happened I was in so much pain.
    Nancy
  5. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

I had severe leg cramps while growing up. I think that was the beginning of worse things to come. But I think what really brought it on full swing was when my husband was murdered in 2004. We were separated at the time but yet still on good terms. Facing that loss was unexplainable. Then we went through the trial (after waiting for 2 years). The evil monster who murdered him is doing 118 years. It was actually a double murder meant for the other guy. My husband would've been a witness so he shot him 3 times. We have 3 children together. Then I had a hysterectomy in 2004 and that, I believe, played a role as well. Talk about emotional and physical trauma...I firmly believe that both play a strong role in triggering the full blown deal. Thanks for reading! Hugs to all...Karen
  6. llama

llama New Member

Hello........btw this is my first post to this wonderful
    and helpful board. My Fibro started the day that I was
    robbed, had a gun held to my head and beaten unconscious.

Looking back I had minor symptoms but this event changed
    my life physically and mentally. I was officially dx'd
    Fibro. about 3yrs. ago. My symptoms are now full blown
    and am currently seeking SSDI. (Finally got my nerve up to
    post a reply).

I also have chronic EBV. It appears genetic as my mother and both of my sisters have a lot of the symptoms. My sisters seem to be in denial. They don't want to talk about it or do any research on it....I think if their symptoms worsen they'll be forced to deal with it, just as I was.

Jill
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2006]
  7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I'm trying to understand this so bare with me. In trying to put a traumatic experience or a car wreck with causing an onset with this disease called fibromyalgia, help me connect the dots. I've heard this for years and I'm not doubting it, only trying to understand it which might help me to explain it to my family and friends..

What I'm not getting is why don't football players who crash into each other and injure each other not get fibromyalgia. They say some of their head on collisions that even cause paralysis in football are equal to car wrecks. It would seem that they would end up with fibromyalgia.

That's just one example but there's obviously many more where people have tramatic experiences or are injured and don't have fibromyalgia... So in trying to understand and figure things out, is there possibly more to it and if so then what?

Doesn't everybody one time or another in their life go thru trauma or get injured?? So why does this illness effect only us and not others? Please don't get me wrong because I'm just simply thinking out loud and searching for answers. I'm hoping for some feedback to help me think this through..
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hm...
    I think it was genetics (oh how fortunate -_- ), a rough childhood (schoolage kids are mean...), and *drumroll*

I'm my own worst critic. I'm way too hard on myself, and I adapted sleep habits to go along with this.

So, I believe I prematurely brought it upon myself, but I guess it's better now than later.
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I believe mine was from infection/virus many years ago. Also, allergies and just stress in general. I tested positive for Epstein Barr virus showing as a "old infection".

Just curious, have you been tested for viruses? My doctor told me any stress can cause it to activate again.

I have to have laparoscope surgery for gallbladder disease soon. I hope it does not make me sick afterwards.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2006]
  10. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I would like to say it was a virus or an accident, but I know my stress level was at an all time high when my husband was sick and during his care and subsequent death. I had been attending nursing school and working full time before his illness but even that wasn't as detrimental or stress provoking as a fatal illness to a close family member. It just seems I have been declining steadily since then. I went to doctor after doctor, had a cervical fusion and then it just rapidly deterirated. I guess I am just thankful I have known for a year what was happening to me. Like it or not, at least I know what I am dealing (sometimes) with.
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

My opinion of how mine came about was going through so much emotionally while growing up, then I was in a bad car accident and I got worse after that.

kriket
  12. charlenef

charlenef New Member

came from my mom but the fibro was a result of not being dx with cmp and i kept hurting my back until it kicked in. i use to over due it all the time i think if i would have known the end result i would have taken things slower.(in bed all the time) charlene
  13. caffey

caffey New Member

i was told it is one of ra's cousins.
  14. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

for me it was a virus, got very sick. and the fevers triggered my arm neck and shoulder pain. now it mostly back pain. hugs roll
  15. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Hi -

I think the loss of several close family members (the most recent my Mother) caused my CFS/FM.

I have, however, always been under stress on jobs, etc. It's really hard to know just what sets it off.

Kay
  16. rosepink

rosepink New Member

I think it was my C-section NO i know it was the operation she was a big bady,and i am tiny.I grew up in a all girl household all the hard (so called man job"s)i had to do,i had no ill health at all,i also enjoyed running.Now i am a shadow of what i was,the mind of a 37 year old women and now the ache"s and pain"s of an 90year old.I am from Ireland every one is claming FMS for sickness benifit"s and it make"s it harder for real FMS suffer"s to claim.
  17. jdkc

jdkc New Member

a combo of things. I had mono my senior year of highschool(23 years ago) and my health has never been the same. In 2000 I was in a car wreck and got severe whiplash.

But I think the main thing was having a total hysterectomy in 2002. It has brought on a whole bunch of problems.

Also this past year has been stressful so I have lots more flare ups.

Dana
  18. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

and I fit all three: Trauma (childhood abuse, whiplash injury), Viral (mono onset) and Genetic (sisters and cousins dx'd).

I was also in the health field and in the early 80's, it is believed there was an epidemic. A lot of healthcare workers were affected, too. I believe because we did not wear gloves all the time back then.

Patti
  19. TLI

TLI New Member

Mine started after I had mono, tested positive for epstiens (SP?) bar virus. That lasted 8 weeks,10 yrs ago, then I thought I was better. Soon after that the FM started. I do ok most of the time, but when something happens that brings on great stress, or I get a common virus or infection, like a cold or flu, then the FM comes alive. I hate it! It is like a monster that sometimes sleeps and then wakes up and makes my life miserable. This recent flair up is from our family business closing. The stress has been almost more than I can handle. We are not sure if we will lose our home... With 6 kids, that is a terrifying thing, as how do we explain to them? This flair has been bad for about three weeks now... I have faith it will go in to remission soon. God will take care of me and my family. Could you all please pray for us? I am not used to asking for prayer... as so many other people need it so much more than I do, and I feel selfish... but this time, I think it is ok to ask, so please, pray for my family? Thank you and God Bless you all!! ~Teddi
  20. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I am sending positive thoughts your way. Right now it is important that you stay connected to family and friends. Stay connected to this board, too, we are family and friends.

Gosh, don't be afraid to ask for prayer and support, you deserve it! God has enough Love for all of us to go around!

Take care and let us know how you are doing!

Patti