What triggers a flare for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MrsMarvls, Jul 12, 2008.

1. MrsMarvls

MrsMarvls New Member

I was diagnosed ion June 07 after a year of trying to figure out what was wrong with me (and learning during that process that I also have a lot of lung issues). Anyway, I have some days that are pretty 'good', where a 600 mg dose of ibuprophen taken mid-morning takes care of things and I can function 'normally'. But there are other days that I just want to crawl into bed and hide from the pain, when 800mgs ibuprophen AND Vicodin barely takes the edge off the pain.

Today is one of those days where nothing seems to help ... everything hurts from the roots of my hair to my little toenails. Combine flu-like aches with post-gym work-out muscle pain, and hot spots that hurt to look at ... I have felt that way three days in a row now which is unusual for me. I am wondering if this flare might have been triggered by air travel ... just a short trip on the airplane on Thursday and I have been feeling terrible ever since. Really much worse than usual.

I didn't have too much trouble when I went away on the 5th ... had one bad morning while gone but that was all ... but am wondering if changtes in altitude might be triggering something. I was at about 3500 feet while away but just slightly over sea-level at home.

All I know is that I am hurting sooooo bad today I just want to cry.
  2. CKater

CKater New Member

Air travel does it for me. You don't say what the weather is like by you, but here it's been humid and I have been in the same pain you describe, hair, toenails, you name it. I don't know how you get by on ibuprofen, and vicodin-well it never worked for me at all. Maybe try a warm bath, that tends to somewhat help me, and maybe a heating pad. I hope WE feel better. I want to cry right along with you kiddo.
  3. tangie

tangie New Member

Sometimes for me, its weather. When its going to rain, or its humid out, thats what triggers me. I have so much pain, its not even funny! If its extremely hot or cold out, im soooo sleepy and fatigued that I cant function! Only when the weather is perfect(right, im in Chicago) can I really function. Some days I have to take so many pain pills that I couldnt function if I wanted to, no matter how hard I try. If the weather is mild and nice, I dont have any pain whatsoever and I can get out and do all those things that I need to,like pay my bills, go shopping, do laundry, etc. If the weather sucks, then its basically over; I cant do anything! The weather has an awful lot to do with how I feel, it can trigger a bad day or make a good day into a bad day. Whatever the trigger, I find that two vicodin and maybe an 800m ibuprofen works wonders. Hope this helps and I hope you feel better real soon.
  4. canton2235

canton2235 New Member

I WAS DIAGNOSED IN NOVEMBER OF 07 WIHT FM. I LIVE IN THE GREAT STATE OF MAINE. THE WEATHER IS DIFFERENT EVERY DAY. WE HAVE A SAYING THAT IF YOU DONT LIKE THE WEATHER WAIT A LITTLE WHILE IT WILL CHANGE. TODAY IS A GREAT DAY SUNNY 64 AND NOT HUMID. HOWEVER WHEN ITS HUMID OR COLD, WHICH IN MAINE IS ABOUT 8 MONTHS OF THE YEAR, I DO NOT FEEL WELL. IT IS VERY HARD TO GET UP GET DRESSED AND GO TO WORK. I HAVE TRYED PAIN MEDS BUT THEY DONT SEEM TO WORK FOR ME AND THE SIDE EFFECTS JUST ADD TO THE PROBLEM. SO FAR WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IS THERE IS NO FIX TO THE PROBLEM AND YOU HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU ON THAT DAY. WISH I COULD HELP GOD BLESS EVERYONE.
  5. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I feel bad when it's cold and damp, even worse when it's hot and humid, and when the barometric pressure drops I ache ALL over, flu-like.

Other triggers... overdoing it. I'm learning not to push/crash, but it's hard not to take advantage of a good day and try to get a lot of things done.

Also not getting enough sleep for two or three nights in a row pretty much guarantees a few really bad days.
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Cold and damp weather (THE WORST!)

Hot and humid (our weather today)

Any exercise

Stress

Sitting at the computer too long

Sitting in a drafty place

Driving too long

7. luv2float

luv2float New Member

stress........my mother, my husband
    seems like whenever there is an argument i flare up!!

housework
    shopping

sometimes nothing..has a mind of its own
  8. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

driving

exercising

staying in one position to long

stress and worrying

repetitive motion

doing too much on a "supposed" good day

sometimes nothing ~ it just happens

sensitive to hot and cold ( I used to be able to walk outside in the summer without shoes and it didn't bother me now I can't take one step outside and my feet go nuts with pain! And we are having a really hot summer in texas!

Gentle hugs, Susan :)