What triggers FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by robbp2093, Oct 25, 2005.

1. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Does anyone have a clue as to WHAT TRIGGERS FM? Does it just decide to start up one day on it's own? I've been feeling flu-like (on and off) for almost 4 months now and it drives me crazy!

Thanks everyone.

- Rob
  2. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

You can obtain professional opinions on this on many of the Web sites for Fibromyalgia. Having said that, I have heard that it can be originally brought on by trauma or stress. I do not know for sure. I would check the webs out.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Rob:
    I have also heard that extreme stress on the body for a long period of time can break down the autonomic nervous system. Just a theory: but thought I would throw it out there.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

In my case, overwhelming stress brought it on. I do believe however it was always there. I had subtle symptoms since I was a teen. In addition, my Grandmother had it, so I believe there is a degree of heredity.

JMHO, Lisa
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

I think mine was brought on by extreme stress over a long period of time
  6. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Having said that, the problem came after the stress was no longer present. It was only after I got out of the stressful situation that I got sick. I always tell everyone that if it weren't for the stress I would just fall to pieces. lol. I'm thinking I may be on to something there. lol. At least for me. lol
  7. Starcat

Starcat New Member

I think plays a big part for me. My grandmother was labeled a hypocondriac..complained of pain all the time. Her and I understood each other very well when I was young. But even my mother shows signs...and now my kids too.

This may sound crazy...but I think fibromyalgia is like cancer cells. Everyone has them, but for some reason they become active in certain people under certain conditions.

If you think about it...many people in this world get faced with stresses, accidents, operations, etc. but not all of them end up becoming fibro patients because of it. So there's got to be more to it than just over working our muscles or facing difficulties. Well, thats just my 2cents anyway...lol

Hope someone figures it all out someday.
  8. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

That is a really interesting thought and I would love to someday know the answer to those ?'s. I have never really looked at this DD from that perspective.

From what I've heard either emotional or physical stress can bring FM on. In my case it was physical as I was in 2 car accidents in 1998. My FM went full blown after that.

Looking back I had symptoms of FM since my early teens which raises the heredity issue. My mother, my mother's sister, and my cousin all have FM. My Grandmother (mom's) was Dx'd w/ osteoarthritis, but so many years ago it may have actually been FM. I am only 27, but worried that one day when my husband and I decide to have kids, "Is this something I will give to them?".....God forbid! It makes me stop and wonder if the risk of possibly passing it on is worth it.

Anyway after all that I guess none of us really know. We just know what brought ours on.

I hope you can get more of the answers you're looking for.

Hugs,
    Jen
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2005]
  9. piebear

piebear New Member

I would say emotional trauma/stress played a major role in my getting Fibro. (Although I also have tested high for Epstein-Barr so that might be another factor as well.) For me I don't believe its genetic based because my parents didn't have it nor did my grandparents. As far as I know anyway.
    I've always been stressed since college but about a year after college things started to happen. For one I moved around a few times. I also got married, which isn't a bad stress because I adore my husband! =) Then shortly after getting married my husband went out to sea (he's in the Navy) for 6 months right before 9/11 so his ship was one of the ones sent over to the middle east after we were attacked! Theres more....my dad died suddenly of a heart attack a week after 9/11 and he was in a coma for a week before we had to turn off the life support. And they wouldn't let my husband come home at all. Thats a ton to deal with in just a short time. Thinking about it right now I don't know how I survived. And I was very close to my dad so it completely devastated me of course. And with his death brought many, many more things that were very tough to deal with. I had to be strong for my mom and so I could deal with stuff; so, I stuffed my emotions deep inside. A year ago my emotions finally started to surface. My body starting having little problems not long after my dad died but it was so little I didn't think about it. They got worse every year though right along with my emotions. A few months ago it got so bad that I saw a doctor. And here I am.
  10. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Thanks Jo, I'll do that. I hope this ends one day soon...
  11. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Thanks Nyro.

I hope nutrition and continued excercise will help...
  12. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Dafo,

Thanks. I never thought stress would effect me in this way, but I guess we're all human...
  13. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Power,

You might be right. Long periods of stress have to have some effect on our physical health. Thanks.
  14. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Fra,

Funny you mention it, after a recent VERY stressful situation I felt all the flu-like symptoms come on. Still feel them after 4 months...
  15. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Cat,

My father has physical complications from stress. You might have something there...
    Thanks.
  16. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

I've been thinking the same thing. I'd hate to pass this on. I keep praying these flu-like symptoms will one day go away. It really wears you out physically/mentally.

Thanks.
  17. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Jenn,

I know exactly where you are coming from. I hope this ends soon...

Thanks.
  18. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Bear,

Stress seems to be the one thing everyone can relate to regarding this illness. I hope to break through this eventually...

Thanks.
  19. robbp2093

robbp2093 New Member

Nature,

Interesting theory about the viral catalyst thing. At this point, I'm just desperate to get through this.

Thanks.
  20. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

In my case, I think I was predisposed to having FM and CFS.
    I was always so tired as a child, and never felt well, but for no apparent reason.

As an adult, my marriage, ( at 16) was very stressful. Still married, things got better but it took years.

My work stressed me out so much for so many years that I know that was the icing on the cake. I was unable to change jobs due to my husband's health problems, his early retirement due to his health ( with no pay, he was self employed, no retirement pay, could never get disability). I had to be the one to provide the insurance through my employement.

I stayed in a job that was so hard, and pushed me way beyond what I was able to do, and it went on so long that I finally wound up like I am today.

The job is better too, but he damage has been done.

Kinsie