What triggers people's flares?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ericdinbstn, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

My doctor asked me the other day (as I was having a major flare) if I could tell any triggering event that started this flare. I couldn't pinpoint anything. Does anyone sense any rhyme or reason to flares or do they just occur randomly?

Eric
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I can only tell you what I know will cause a major flare for me. Going to 2-3 stores in the same day. Keeping our grandchild overnight and picking her up when she says"HOLD ME MAMAW. Rain and cold weather also makes it worse. Trying to clean house,etc. Or going out when I already am not feeling well.

Suzette
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

If you are under stress
    If you try to do too much
    Cleaning house
    Financial Problems
  4. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

When I saw your post the first word that came to my mind was. "LIFE". (lol)

There are so many things that put me in a flare.
    Constant Infections
    Stress
    Work
    Over doing it. example, housework, excerise, etc...
    Spouse
    Kids
    Money & bills

That pretty much my "LIFE".

Cindy
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Eric:
    In general, what makes me flare up is too much movement.
    I can not push, pull or carry. I can not go out and do too much. Whenever I go above and beyond: I flare.

N.F.
  6. msSusan

msSusan Member

I have noticed certain foods aggrevate aches/pains. Food intolerences (not same as allery) can cause issues. I have been keeping diary of food eaten and how I feel later.

Some of my culprits seem to be most types of sugar (like table sugar, fruits, corn syrup), grains/carbs (like wheat, oats, barley, spelt but non-white rice products seem o.k.), chocolate, caffeine and all coffee, any type of wine/alcohol.

Eliminating things has been VERY hard but worth not having pain. I still eat some of these things but try to rotate foods. I still get aches/pains but less severe.
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am not sure if it is part of the flare or the start but when my allergies/sinus start then to bed I go for days of crashing..

This has been my pattern for almost 6 years about 3 good days, then 4 bad ones that are spent in bed..I have never had one good week..But on the good days I try to do housework, grocries, some cooking and all the stress with my family and doing for them then it hits..I awake with a headache, then the flu fleeings, horrible fatigue and on and on..

I just wish we could be really sick for a year or so then have hope of recovery..I just don't like this life but again who does just try to make the best of it but it sure gets hard..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  8. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

All of these answers sound SO very familiar. My usual response is "there' seems to be no rhyme or reason" - just happens, but I know there are triggers.

I was going to just answer: breathing, but I won't.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki

9. cmcd1070

cmcd1070 New Member

I find that when my hormones start changing when I should be on my cycle, I have terrible flare ups :( It puts me completely down-bedridden.

Also unmanaged STRESS kills me physically.

Flare ups happen when my body is trying to fight an infection, flu\cold, etc too.
  10. ChrisNewton

ChrisNewton New Member

Hi all

Any rain, worse with a big low.
    Winter
    Physical exercise

Chris
  11. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

the weather is my biggest culprit for flare ups.

winter makes my skin and body so very sensitive to the cold.

summer makes exhaustion my motto and last summer i had aches and pains shooting around my body for 7 or 8 days in a month and a half.

i have to protect myself from the winter's cold & wind.

stay out of the summer's heat and humidity.

also, i've noticed that lifting anything over 5 pounds sends me directly to muscle spasms all up and down my back which is often accompanied by a flare up the next day.