What type of doctor for FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweeeeet, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. sweeeeet

    sweeeeet New Member

    When you first had symptoms of FMS, what type of doctor did you first go to, what other kinds of doctors have you been to, and what doctor are you seeing now, if any.
    Which type of doctor had the best care for your FMS?

    I've been to three neurologists in the past ten years and none of them knew how to help me really. I was prescribed tried many different things by the neurologists, like Flexeril, Elavil, Diazepam, etc. but nothing really helped. They aslo told me to take magnesium supplements, calcium supplements, iron supplements, etc. etc. etc.

    Forget the GP, he just told me to take it easy, but he does ask me how things are.

    Right now I've been seeing a chiropractor who specializes in treating Fibromyalgia patients. He's the one who got me started on these vitamin packs called Fibro packs about two weeks ago. I've also been getting deep tissue massage from him. But the symptoms always come back--I'll have a great week and then go haywire again. I'm thinking of going to another neurologist but not sure.

    Anyways, back to the question. What type of doctor do you primarily see now for specific FMS symtpoms and what has the doctor diagnosed/prescribed for you?
  2. CAAnnieB

    CAAnnieB New Member

    Hi there,

    Well, I really think that people will respond to your question with all kinds of answers! Just as this FM manifests itself with different symptoms from person to person...So it goes with the Dr's who treat us! I think the most important thing is to find a Dr. (really doesn't matter too much what type!) who is knowledgeable about our illness and who is willing to keep trying all different types of treatments.

    I have seen the following medical providers since the beginning of my journey with FM:

    Pain Specialists
    Family Dr.
    Orthopedic Dr.
    Pain Psychologist
    Physical Therapists
    Internal Medicine/ Natural Medicine/ Herbalist/ Holistic Dr.
    Massage Therapist

    Hmmm...Seems I'm forgetting some! But as you can see, I've seen a variety of folks!

    Currently, my "team" consists of my Family Dr. (He is a jem...Oversees my general health care & refers me as needed to specialists), a Neurologist/ Pain Specialist, an Internal Medicine/ Holistic Dr. who specializes in FM & CFS, and a Gastro Dr. when my chronic Gastritis gets nasty & out of control. I just finished 24 sessions with a Physical Therapist & honestly feel no better for it! I have seen VERY nice P.T.'s over the years...They have been wonderful, but it really didn't improve the FM much at all.

    My Neurologist/ Pain Specialist has prescribed Baclofen & Zanaflex for me. I am so medication-sensitive that I'm unable to take other options.I'm also very limited in my meds due to my sensitive, irritated stomach. We tried Botox Trigger Point injections, but I did not receive benefit from them, so I've stopped those. He's wonderful...He has also prescribed a topical muscle relaxant ointment through a compounding pharmacy. (To spare my stomach) He is knowledgeable about supplements & herbs.

    My Holistic Dr. has helped me with recommending natural & herbal supplements to help with various FM symptoms. She has her own Herbal Pharmacy. They are very good. I buy some things through her & some elsewhere.

    My Family Dr. agreed to prescribe Klonopin for me at bedtime. (I heard about it here.) He also prescribes Prevacid for my tummy.

    My GI Dr. has done 3 Endoscopies on my stomach & recommended the Prevacid. I'm going to see him again soon because this stomach of mine is not behaving!...

    Personally, I have found that a team works better for me than one Dr. Of course, I let them all know what the other is doing with me. When I have lab work done, I have copies sent to the others. They all are aware of the Rx's and supplements I'm on. Each one brings their unique perspective to my health care & I feel fortunate to have them all "on my side". They don't claim to have all the answers. They all encourage me to keep fighting the battle & to not give up!

    I had to go through some icky Dr's along the way that I just couldn't work with! It can take some time & effort to finally get a Dr or Dr's that you feel confident in & comfortable with.

    Good Luck!


    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2005]
  3. tejanya

    tejanya New Member

    look for one that understands fms and believes in it. they do not always stay current with the new meds and such, that is where we can help. i find in understanding why aches and pains are happening helps me not stress so bad about the pain. my doctor is a family doctor. he did the blood work up and the points on the bod, but he also listened to all the things i thought was wrong. he just kept looking for the prob. we sometimes discuss diff techniques but he is never unpleasant.i trust in God and let Him lead. may sound strange, but i wake up everyday and find myself breathing.
  4. ckm

    ckm New Member

    I would suggest you go to a rheumatologist. I started with my GP and got nowhere except lots of tests which came back normal (according to him), I no longer see him. I've seen a pain specialist, neurologist, and a different GP. The pain specialist is the one that told me to go to a rheumatologist. The rheumy is the one that diagnosed me. I am just starting to see a chiropractor that specializes in FMS so we'll see. Have the supplements helped with your sleep or pain or energy level?

    Good Luck,
  5. tngirl

    tngirl New Member

    I was dianosed by a physiatrist. A physiatrist is a physical medicine specialist and pain management doctor.
  6. JLH

    JLH New Member

    Fibro falls under the specialty of a Rheumatologist.

    A rheumy treats arthritis, lupus, fibro, etc.
  7. Leenerbups

    Leenerbups New Member

    Hi Joann, may I asl who your doc is and where in NJ? I am in central NJ and looking for a good one.
  8. jake123

    jake123 New Member

    Joanne, Let us know how you get on with the guai treatment. I have been contemplating going to a doctor who does this treatment. I know there are lots of people on this board who would appreciate hearing how you feel while you are doing the treatment.
  9. TexasFaith

    TexasFaith New Member

    I started with a Rheumatologist. She does not know what to for me. But she does help me with the pain and refers me to other Dr.s.
    Urologist-for Interstitial Cystitis
    Gastroenterologist-for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Neurologist-for "there is nothing wrong with me"
    GP-for "it is all in your head"
    Basically you are going to have to do, like so many of us. Keep going to the ones that are helping and keep looking for the right one to help with other problems........sooner or later they have to take this illness to the forefront of research. Millions of people have this and there has to be a cause.!!!!!
    Keep fighting "The truth is out there"

[ advertisement ]