what type of jobs to you all hold

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariedazz, May 4, 2003.

1. mariedazz

mariedazz New Member

This is an inquiry from a CFS/FM sufferer. I'm wondering what type of jobs some of you are able to hold to support yourselves. I have been working as a counselor 10 hours a week and now must stop doing that because I can not be reliable to my clients. I'm wondering if any of you work at home and what type of work is available to us that are so limited in what we can do.
    Any ideas or resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks mariedazz
  2. LadyCaskey

LadyCaskey New Member

I am so sorry to hear that you are becoming more retricted by this DD.

I know that it becomes so overwhelming physically and emotionally, but when financially makes it's way in the door, the rest seem to become even more overwhelming. Sometimes you just wanted to scream! (SOmetimes I do....It seems to help!)

I have CFIDS. I have had it for four years. I have had 4 jobs in the last three years, and had to quite all of them. I get one when I am feeling better, and then have to quite 3 or 4 months later.

I now work from home in a independant business. I absolutely love it because it is bringing me an average of $800 - $1200 a month, and keeps growing. I don't have to work if I don't feel like it. I also have a working spouse which aides my financial worries alot.

I suggest if you are not able to get on disibility, to look into some type of home based business.........BUT BE CAUTIOUS!!!! THERE ARE MANY SCAMS!!!

Good Luck,
    Stacie
  3. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I am in school full time for Communications/photography, I just started my own photography business, I am the Public Accounts Officer for my Civil Air Patrol Group and My church. I do alot of fundraisers and I also sell Avon, but not sure how long that will last.
    I guess I don't hurt as bad as the rest of you do, but it sure feels like hell. I hurt pretty bad, but force myself to get up and move around and go somewhere.
    I don't think the stiffness and pain ever go away during the day and night, but I am afraid to stay still too long. I just deal with it.
    Somedays, I can't get out of bed though and have to soak in a super hot tub before I am able to move any and then it is at a crawl.
    I hope and pray that the day that I have to file for disability will be forever from now.
    God bless you and I remember someone saying that Grant writing is a great way to make money.
  4. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

Hi, I'm a cashier in a truck stop. I work full time. It can be very painful sometimes. I have been having problems with my feet lately.

There are days when I have to move large packages around and those days are extremely hard on me. Will I stop? Probably not, I love my job and won't quit until forced to.

I hope you find something you can do without too much stress. Bye for now, Valerie.
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I fortunately have a "desk" job. I work in accounting and do computer system maintenance, test programs and implement upgrades. I use to love to work because it took my mind off my pain but that is getting harder and harder to do. I have already missed 4 days this year and that probably is as many as I have missed in the last 12 years! I'm praying I can keep going. I am 51 and want to continue to work so I can get more money in my 401k otherwise I doubt if I can afford the medications I may need in retirement. What a weird thing to have to plan for - medication!

I would love to work from home, I just can't seem to think and follow through on a plan that will get me there. I too am afraid of the "scams".

Hope some good "work at home ideas" come up on this subject. Maybe it will give my fibrofogged brain a boost.
  6. vinetti23

vinetti23 New Member

I thought this was a really good question bc I am switching careers and want to hopefully go into something less demanding. My job actually caused the FMS in part... I'll give you a brief description of it and you can probably see why. I work as a consultant for a global managment consulting firm. I travel about twice a week... usually my week looks like this:

Monday: Wake up at 5:30, get on an 8 AM flight for 2 hours. Work until 8 PM, go back to the hotel, find dinner somewhere.
    Tues- Wed: work starts at 8, ends around 7-9 PM
    Thurs: 8 - 5... then get flight home. get home around 9-11 PM.
    Fri: Luckily I can usually work from home here, but sometimes I have to go into our office. There have been projects where I had to work M-F out of town and fly home friday night. Sometimes I even have to fly out sunday night.

Now, repeat this for 2 years and you get FMS...Luckily some hotels (i.e. Westin) have beds that are SO comfortable I can forget about the pain, but most nights I have to take neurontin, klonopin, and/or vicodan. I probably would need 1/2 the amount (or none at all) if I had a normal job.

Why did I take such an insane job? Well, I didn't have FMS in the beginning, and it paid better than any job out of school.

The reason I say all this is because in some ways it IS possible to push yourself and acheive what you want. However, the bottom line is that I am miserable

I am quitting very soon, not just because of the FMS but bc I just hate the company & the work. So I am curious too what kinds of jobs you all hold too. I am hoping to start my own thing w/ some of the knowledge I gained... wish me luck! :)
  7. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Usually I just do secretarial jobs so I can sit at a desk most of the time. However, I was laid off cause company had to cut back and so I worked for a little while at a grocery store as cashier, but ended up having to quit that because it hurt too much standing up all day, lifting things, etc. So, I'm job-hunting at the moment, and trying to find another desk job.
  8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My husband said he can stuff envelopes for extra money but I dont know how to find out which ones are scams. Anyone know of any or other jobs at home??
    Carlacat

Maybe we should start a thread on this for everyone to see
  9. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

My darling partner (who has the patience of a saint with me and is more loving than anyone I have ever known) is a Quarry Manager.
    We rent a lovely house which is just on the edge of the Quarry, so we are miles from anywhere. There are Offices on the site, which I go and clean Monday - Thursday evenings and once over the weekend. It is only very light, washing cups, emptying bins and putting the hoover round when needed and most of the time it is ok (although I need to rest most afternoons to be able to go and do it).
    But sometimes (like last night) it completely wipes me out.
    But it pays for my car and I feel good knowing that I am contributing in some small way.

I am also going down the 'home-working' route though - I am in the process of starting my own Cross Stitch Chart business on the net. Have almost finished my website, although it seems to be taking forever.
    I am really happy about it though, as it is something that I have done completely by myself (even though it is taking five times longer than I had imagined it would).

As far as scams go - be careful of the ones that offer you to make-up crafty items at home for selling. You usually have to pay for a first kit, which is what I did. Spent days making a marquetry cat (pretty well even if I say so myself) and they said it wasn't good enough and I was off the scheme. Some weeks later, I discovered that a friend had been caught just the same way. These people are rotten.
    Having said that, I did have a friend who used to make quite a lot, putting together packs of notelets and envelopes etc.
    Hope you find something - let us know! Good luck
    hugs
    Mary x
  10. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I currently work as a victim advocate and volunteer coordinator for a prosecuting attorney's office. I also teach college in the evenings. By the end of the year, I hope to be a managerial analyst for the office.
  11. sunnysideliving

sunnysideliving New Member

Altough, I am not a BC, but IT Cons.
    I think it is quite OK when I do not have fog. However, it is quite rare. :(

Cheers,
    Ban
  12. rainstorm

rainstorm New Member

...'cause I'm hoping to eventually transition to my moonlighting job FT. I currently work FT, 40 hours a week as a mental health counselor. I'm also moonlighting about 5-15 hours a week as an SSI advocate. My FT job has a fairly flexible schedule, otherwise I wouldn't be able to manage. My symptoms seem to be progressive, and I want to keep working as long as I can, so I'm building the SSI advocacy business in order to eventually do that on more of a full time basis. Seems like self employment is really the way to go with our illness. Maybe we could put our heads together on this board and come up with lists of jobs that we could successfully do from home, that aren't scams, and that would actually bring in enough money to live on!
  13. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Very hard job and my brain is not as fast as it used to be..LOL
  14. gottalottalove

gottalottalove New Member

I was well on my way to a successful law enforcement career when the stress put me into a fibro flare where I couldnt get out of bed for 3 months. Needless to say my husband and 2 boys where very supportive and encouraged me to go back to college. We sacrafice and I can only go part time at this point. The funny thing is Im going back to be a counselor/therapist, what you just had to quit! I thought I was on the right track, finding a career that would work with my fibro. LOL oh well, I wonder if I can save the world when I find it hard to make it to the mail box some days LOL Tina
  15. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

Hi All, I have been a medical transcriptionist for 22 years in our local hospital. All in all it has been okay doing this but I fear sitting and typing all that time is partly what contributed to my FM. Also familial tendency toward FM and a major accident 16 years ago. I work 40 hours a week. The only thing that keeps me able to work is pure stubborness, (I was born with it-stubborn I mean) and an intermittent family leave at work. That means I can report off due to the FM or OA that I have and it doesn't count against me. Hopefully, I can make it 9 more years to retirement, I'm almost 53 now.

Judy
  16. POSIE

POSIE New Member

MARIEDAZZ,
    I DO ALL KINDS OF THINGS! I WORK P/T FOR A HAIR SALON: I SET APPTS IN THE MORN AND DO PAYROLL AND ACCOUNTING LATER (I CAN TAKE HOME MOST OF THE PAPER WORK). I ALSO AM A STAINGLASS ARTIST AND DO CUSTOM ORDERS ONLY. I MAKE BIRD TOYS FOR LOCAL PET STORES. I ALSO MAKE BEADED BRACELETS AND EARRINGS. THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF CRAFTS THAT YOU CAN MAKE AND SELL ON CONSIGNMENT AT STORES. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO CARES FOR PEOPLES PETS WHILE THEY ARE ON VACATION. SHE EITHER KEEPS THEM AT THEIR HOME OR HERS( DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF PETS). OTHER IDEAS TO WORK FROM YOUR HOME: SEWING, LEATHER WORK, CANDLE MAKING, STUFFING ENVELOPES FOR MAILERS FOR LOCAL BUSINESSES, DRIED HERBS AND FLOWERS, BREEDING SMALL PETS (BIRDS, KITTENS, PUPPPIES),TYPING, LAUNDRY, BAKING.....THERE'S ALL KINDS OF THINGS. I WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL RESPONDING TO ANY OF THE ADS IN NEWSPAPERS FOR WORK AT HOME. MOST OF THE ADS THAT I RESEARCH TURNED OUT TO BE SCAMS. GOOD LUCK! I HOPE YU FIND SOMETHING YOU ENJOY! POSIE
  17. AC77

AC77 New Member

Medical Resident and Part-Time Paramedic.
  18. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I do freelance writing and editing at home for a couple publishers.
    Tania
  19. LJ

LJ New Member

When I was at my worst 4 years ago(crying evey day on the way to work because I was in so much pain) I quit my very stressful job, took a pay cut, and went back to my old job as an admin. asst. at a construction office. Not working was not an option since I am a single mom. My boss was very supportive. I started out typing proposals and that was it and some days that was even more than I could handle. It hurt to sit for very long and it hurt to walk but I knew that I needed to move my body. Instead of calling people in the office on the phone I would walk to their desks instead and then go back to my desk and take vicodin but at least I was walking. After 1 year of just walking in the office I was able to start working out.

My job has now evolved to working for the corporate office as a computer trainer/application support. I travel a few weeks a month which is great because I get a lot of rest - usually in bed by 8:00 and when I am not traveling I work at home as support for computer program issues and testing new programs.

LJ
  20. Susan07

Susan07 New Member