What Type of Med's Work for You? & Can we become Addicted?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cinnveet, Feb 24, 2006.

1. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I have tried everything, I take Triamterene for the water retention. Synthroid for my under active Thyroid, Lexpro, for being down in the dumps. Lidoderm patches for pain, and tried darvecet, & norco for the pain. the narcotics only work for a few hours and then i am back in pain. My pain mgt Dr. is currently doing the steriod injections in my neck and lwr back, I am so afraid that I will become addicted to the narcotics. My pain is everyday. Some days are better than other's and forget it when i get a flare. I dont get a feeling like im "high or extra energy" when i take my pain med's, but i do need to take them everyday to be able to function at work. And the pain med's only take the edge of the pain, but never takes the pain away. When i am in a flare up, the pain med's dont help at all.
    I need to know how others feel about this subject of pain med's so I know I am not alone with my feelings, as I only have you guys here to talk to. I cant talk with my husband or family as they worry enough about me.
    Thanks and God Bless. Cindy
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I have found that heat such as the microwavable heating pads and massage are by far the best things for my pain. Hydrocodone is the only med that really helps me and docs won't prescribe it for daily use due to fear of addiction.

Linda
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Daily for pain meds I take Ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours and a new pill called Avinza 30 mg every 12 hours. The Avinza is time released and has done wonderful things for me because of that. In the past I have tried Vicodine, Darvocet, Tylenol with Codiene, and Ultram and none of these gave the relief I was looking for. The Avinza has really made a change. I also usually take a muscle relaxer, Norflex, but for the time being... I'm out of that and I'm still mostly stable without it for the time being and I believe this is because of the Avinza.

It was a hard choice for me to begin taking all the pain meds but for me I no longer had a choice otherwise I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning. I am unable to work full time but after 2 years of not working at all, once I started the Avinza, I could go back to work part time. I still don't work much but it has helped emmencly.

Hope this helps
    Hugs,
    Shananegans
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

In other words, the pain meds help you function. By taking the edge off your pain you can continue working, and have a better quality of life.

It is hard to accept that we must deal with our illness. We wish we could just make it go away, and be like everyone else. It just does not happen sometimes.

You can develop a tolerance to your pain meds and probably will at some point. A good doctor knows how to deal with that and will adjust or change your meds accordingly.

If you were ever to the point you wanted to stop taking opiates, there is a drug call Subutex you can take to prevent any withdrawals.

The key it to have a good doctor to manage your pain treatment, and deal with whatever comes along.

5. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I love this site. I am so afraid to discuss my problems w/family and friends. I have felt so alone all these years. And I truly appreciate the advice you all give.
    My Thank you comes from the my heart.
    Cindy
  6. mariee

mariee Member

hi Cinnveet,
    This is a question I have dealt w. for the past 5 years. Here is how my neuro helped me understand.
    (I did take pain meds for 4 years...now I am off all opiates)

I may become "dependent" on my pain meds. If I am on a certain dose, and stop taking it, I will go through withdrawal symptoms....

Addiction happens when a patient does not follow the docs directions and either increases or decreases dosing to attain a different experience (high). I never felt "high" on my meds. I did follow my docs orders, and discussed w/ him how to come off pain meds when it was time.

I hope that helps. Hey, I am dependent on my cup of coffee in the afternoon in order to avoid a headache and crash!

I hope you have a doc like I did - one that can help you in this decision. Make sure your doc can get you off meds as easily as s/he can get you started!

Mariee
  7. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

So far he is open to many ideas to make me as comfy as possible. He just perscribed me aqua physical therapy to help with the muscle spasm i get in my back. I call them charlie horses. and to help circulation in my legs because they burn, pain shoots down them and they fall asleep (pins and needles feeling) I am looking foward to it and will let you know how it works out.
    Cindy
  8. elsa

elsa New Member

We have a chronic illness that creates non-stop pain. We take pain medications in order to have a shot at living life. We don't take these meds to get high or to hide from life. There is a difference.

I good guideline ... when I take my tramadol ... I don't feel larger then life ... I don't feel like all's right with the world and life is a bed of roses ... I don't walk around with a goofy grin and think how much I love this feeling and start planning on how soon I can feel this way again.

I just feel alittle more like I used to before fibro came along ... not exactly the same, but more like the same then without medication.

We can become physically dependent though ... This is not something to feel shame over ... people on AD's or nasal spray allergy medicine become physically dependent ... just means the dose needs to be lowered slowly over time if one wants to stop taking it. It is a "physical phenomenon" ... not a psychological need to regain that "feeling" again at any cost.

By not taking pain medication out of fear after a doctor has rx'ed it, you are actually doing damage to the nerves affected by the pain area ... over time, untreated chronic pain can make that nerve damage permanent.

I have posted exerpts from a pain conference attended by several medical associations ... You can put my name in the search and my posts will come up. You'll recognize it from the title ... has the associations listed across the top.

Hope this helps ....

Elsa
  9. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

You are so right with what you just said.
    And no i dont get any high from the med's i take, or feel goofy or any of that.
    From my understanding, when you take pain med's and your not in pain then you will get a high from it. But when you are in pain and take pain med's, the medicine does what it is suppose to do, and you dont get high.
    But you read all these articles about addiction, and hear it on the news about drug busts, it gets scary. I dont dare tell my family (besides my husband) what type of meds i take.
    Thanks
    Cindy
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

I don't fill anyone in on my treatment meds either. It just isn't worth the possible unpleasantness ... plus, I'm just a private person to begin with.

You have it exactly right ... you, we, take our medications so we can have a fighting chance at a better life with CFS/FMS ... not to have a large time.

The day we start meeting each other out in the alley counting our tramadol, well then, we might be heading for trouble,LOl! Until then, keep doing what you have to so you can live a productive life ... on your own terms.

I am afraid the big war on drugs have made every legit patient scared to take their rx'ed medications ...Then the news media love to hype those type of stories ... gets more ratings. Sorry it has made you uncomfortable.

Keep in mind you always have us ... and we all understand and stand with you 100%.

Take it easy and take your meds if that is what is the BEST treatment plan for you .... everyone else can take a leap!

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2006]
  11. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

is the muscle relaxer robaxin. it has reduced my need for vicodin, not totally eliminated it, but on my better days i can get away with just taking the robaxin. it works for me. the other thing i'm seeing here is that no one tells people what meds they are on. i don't either. it isn't worth trying to explain them to people who just don't get it. the only one who knows my meds are my myself, my dr., & my husband.
    rachel
  12. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Thanks so much for all the advice. Now I know I am not alone out there. Today I woke up in so much pain in my legs and back with a heck of a headache, and I thought of all of you. I didnt feel guilty when I went to reach for my pain med.'s. I printed everyones advice and gave it to my husband to read. He said that I have to do what I have to do to feel normal and he also said you found a great site and should stick with this site. He also agree's its nobodys business what med's I take when it comes to my family and friends because they proably wont understand.
    Cindy