What type of shoes do you wear/recommend for hurting feet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Sep 27, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Those of you that have foot pain, what kind of shoes do you wear or do you recommend a certain brand?

I just heard on the news the other night that the croc shoes were sending children that were wearing them to the hospital, but I did not catch the reason.

Did anyone happen to hear of this and if so, could you please share what it was about the croc shoes that was sending them to the hospital. I have been wearing them and I have noticed significant pain increase in my joints. I'm not really sure that these shoes are very supportive. Anyone else?

I have stopped wearing them for awhile to see if it was just me thinking this, but my joints are feeling better now that I have quit wearing them the last few days.

kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  2. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I can't seem to get a post to stay on here. This is my first post. I always wear sas in tie up or velcro fastener. They even have cute sandles. But for walking and safety, the lace up. Sooo comfy. Hope this helps. I had a crushed leg and ankle, and this is the only one I can wear comfortably. Different colors, too.

Good luck! Any question, just ask.
    ~~~Lew
  3. lascot

lascot New Member

dear kriket,

i have found that the wrong shoes can put me into spasms that last for weeks and i have yet to find a pair that really helps me now that i have myself in this predicament...i have achilles tendonitis in BOTH ankles now and will be laid up for 3-9 months...now that is not all due to shoes but i know that by not wearing the right ones aggravated my ankles and the balls of my feet.

i am wearing uggs right now[well, on one foot] with lifts in them to lessen the stretch on the achilles. i have to find something with alot of support and comfort and forget fashion....although i love my uggs and have a dozen....have you tried haflinger shoes? or another type of clog preferably with something that keeps your foot in there like a strap, maryjane style...not the most stylish but seems to be the most supportive and never go barefoot on a hard floor.
    hope this helps and doesn't confuse, linda
  4. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Kriket. Guess to learn how to post, you have to just jump right in there and do it (and make a mistake like I did). Hope this one turns out better. My Rheumy was delighted with my choice of shoes, I might add. They are so supportive.

~~~Lew
  5. FlowerMD

FlowerMD New Member

Hi

I wear new balance with a roll bar. I worked for a podiatist as her assistant and She recommended these shoes for me due to fibro, bad knees and back. I must say that these shoes are expensive but they are soooooooo worth it.
  6. FlowerMD

FlowerMD New Member

Opps lol forgot to sign my name again lol

FlowerMD
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I wear Fly Flots because the soles of my feet really hurt. They are available on line & the manufacturers make slippers, sandals & shoes with very cushioned shock absorbant soles, all in soft Italian leather.
  8. ladykew

ladykew New Member

do you have? My sister has problems with the nerves in the bottom of her feet...I don't know what they call it, but she has a form made from her feet that fits right into the shoe. She never has a problem as long as she wears these. And she also wears SAS shoes. They have a large toe box, so they don't squeeze your toes all together and
    cause more pain. I believe they are in the $75 to $100
    range. In my opinion, they are the best. They were
    recommended both by my foot doctor and my Rheumy. AND by my sister. LOL. There are other good brands out there, and I've tried some....I always go back. It's just how your feet are made. You get a really well-made shoe, and try it on..if it doesn't feel WONDERFUL..don't buy it and go to the next one..right..?? .........Lew
  9. BIRENSTOCKS! They are the only thing that my feet like.
    However my podiatrist recommends New balance also.
  10. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I found that if you have sore feet you can never wear cheap shoes. Found out the hard way. I wear expensive shoes and cheap clothes!

I have had New Balance, Birkenstocks and other expensive types. I have very wide feet and even in so-called specialty store only one or two styles will ever fit me.

One store treated me so bad and make me feel like a freak, horrible condescending staff. I'll never go there again. I found that the really small companies (with only *one* store as opposed to a chain, even a small chain) are better. But make sure you have lots of time, because if there are other customers also getting personal attention you may have to wait.

One of the best stores here is located in a hospital.

I also wear custom orthotics. I can't go without them at all.

And lace-up shoes, definitely give more support but a bit inconvenient at times. I would love to be able to just slip shoes on, because I huff and puff when I bend to tie shoes.

My feet still hurt but they would hurt more if I didn't pay attention to all this stuff.

11. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

that I buy a good support type shoe. I went to a lot of shoe stores but ended up buying Ecco. I've had 4 additional pairs since that time, always the same shoe.....a black leather lace up. By the way, I walk about l0-l5 miles a week so I put on a lot of mileage and they last me at least a year.
  12. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

Not too practical in winter here in New England, but as long as I can I wear my Tiva sandals. THey have velro so I can adjust the straps as the swelling comes and goes and the support they provide is great for me.

The problem with the Crocs I believe is they really provide NO support at all, they are relatively wide and so the foot doesn't necessarily fit "snuggly" in them...
  13. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

Skechers and Clarks are about the only shoe that I feel comfortable in. I am so clumsey and fall alot so I have to be really careful. They are both kind of expensive both last for ever. I just had to buy a new pair of skechers last week and the other pair I had for 6 years and wore alot. Brenda
  14. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Kriket,
    I have pain in my feet from Fibro, Osteo Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis, and well as Diabetes.

I have been wearing Land's End clogs (I also have a big spurr behind my heel), for the past several years. I find that the foot bed is perfect for me. I don't even know I'm wearing shoes. They have lots of toe room, and the heel is lifted just enough so that I don't notice it. My first pair was bought over 3 years ago, and is still going strong. They have the same shoes available as mocs, also. Oh, yes, they come in cool colors. They are also under $50.00.

Aboaut the Crocs. I was going to get some, but then I read that they are bacteria and mold resistant. Being plastic, I knew that they must have something added to them to make them that way, and so I didn't buy them. I don't know if that's why children are getting sick, but I wouldn't be surprised..

Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2006]
  15. mezombie

mezombie Member

They make a great pair of leather loafers. They're the most comfortable shoes! Good arch support, padding, and support. I ordered them online several years ago, can't remember from whom. If you do a google search on "hush puppies", you should be able to find a place.
  16. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I had a job where I had to stand eight hours a day on concrete floors. These were the only shoes that worked for me. I've tried on shoes which initially felt more cushioned, but Clarks had the support which lasted all day.

For summer sandals I like the Tiva brand.
  17. kriket

kriket New Member

Well it looks like I have a lot of choices here for shoes to wear that may help.

ladykew- I have knee and back problems plus I stand on my feet for 8-10 hrs. at a time on the weekends at work.(on concrete floor)

Shootingstar- I haven't ever heard of Clarks shoes.

Ad123- Where could I find more info. on the Land's End clogs?

Smiffy-I have not ever heard of fly flots either. Cute name for shoes. LOL

FlowerMd- I am very curious about the new balance w/ rollerbar. What is the roller bar? I have worn new balace shoes, but they just don't last too long with me, but I have not ever tried the ones with the rollerbar. What does the rollerbar do?

Prickles- Did you buy the foot support insert for your shoes at a reg. store or through a doctor?

I also have a pair of the z-coil clogs with the shock/spring in the heel, but they seem so heavy and I don't really like them all that much.

I have to do something quick, cause the concrete floor for several hrs. at a time is killing my knees, feet, and back.

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions. I will look into each one of them.

Thanks again-

kriket
  18. starduzt24_07

starduzt24_07 New Member

have you tried something like z-coils? they have a coil in the bottom of the heel that acts like a shock (like in your car) to relieve the pressure when walking i have noticed a major difference in the ankles, knees and lower back since i got them. They are expensive but well worth it!! you can go to their web site.... www.zcoils.com i hope you like them.
    esther

oh yeah they are not the best looking shoes but they work!!
  19. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Ecco tennies are the best shoes I have and I have really painful feet. They have very soft soles.

I also like Merrel for other types of shoes.

Sofi
  20. MsE

MsE New Member

I lived in SAS. They were the basic oxford with ties and not a bit attractive, but I didn't care 'cause they helped. I wore those darned things for a couple of years! Called them my Sister Mary Comfort shoes because they were black and looked like something one of my grade school teaching sisters would have worn with their black and white habits.