What vitamins can you take on Coumadin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Vitamins are so important to us - yet I find, almost anything I want to take has vitamin K in it.

Just wondering if anyone out there is on Coumadin (a blood thinner) and if so, what vitamins or supplements are you able to take.

Thanks
    Kim
  2. 1faith

1faith New Member

I'm not taking that, but I'm glad you're watching out for the Vit K thing. Be sure to avoid the green leafy veges that are high in Vit K too. Not that you'd want any right now with the e-coli crisis!
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks 1faith... I do need to watch out for that as I am on a diet right now and instantly think of salad!
    Thanks for the reminder - I tend to forget that part sometimes!
    Hugs
    Kim
  4. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

He was able to take Centrum Silver chewables. I don't know offhand the ratio of Vit. K that would cause a danger.

Maybe buy your Vitamins separately, as in a bottle of A, B, C, D, etc. and so on...and skip the K?

I'd maybe suggest checking with the doc and see what they say. You might be able to take a good multi-vitamin without hurting anything.

How much coumadin are you on?

My Dad was on alternating doses of it. Hard to tweak it just right sometimes, isn't it.

(He passed away 6 months ago today. I'd taken care of him for a year after surgery, strokes, many of them and many TIA's. Still miss him terribly, always will.)

Good luck to you.

Yes, DON'T eat that lettuce!! I was thinking no more fresh veggies or salad sold in bags. Then the lettuce scare. Doesn't it make you want to grow ALL your own food? EEKS.
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you for responding. Let me first say I am so sorry about your dad!! Makes me so sad :-(

I take 5 mg of coumadin a day. I will try the separate forms of vitamins as you mentioned. I just don't know what the most important ones are for us FM'ers.

Hugs to you :)
    Kim
  6. 1faith

1faith New Member

is a good idea-that's probably your best bet for safety!
  7. mary124

mary124 New Member

I am on Coumadin. I take a womens multivitamin. It has everything except the K in it. (you have to look at the brands-- this one I get at Walmart). Or I used to take the suggestion of someone else and take the vitamins seperate. (i used to do it that way.)

Pretty much stay away from the green stuff. Lettuce, spinach, brocolli(?), you can still eat it but you want to adjust your coumadin dosage, or just tell your nurses that you ate something if it gets too low. (I usually adjust my own dosage-- they told me I could)

Been on coumadin for 3 years due to a heart valve replacement. What are you on it for-- if I can ask? How long have you been on it? Good luck with it, as it is very hard to manage. I know it took the nurses 5 months to get me straightened out (right where I need to be) after I was sick in May, plus having a procedure, now I'm having another procedure done next week! so wonder how long its going to take this time? Hopefully not as long.
  8. suz45

suz45 New Member

Kim:

blood thinners are so difficult to regulate, I would certainly spend the time and talk to either your physician or the pharmacist. You defiantely want to avoid the Vit K, howvever there are also hebal supplements that are contraindicated with any blood thinner.

Be really careful. I think that most pharmacists will tell what not to take with Coumadin.

Take care,

Suz45