What was the best/worst gift received today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bevy2most, Dec 25, 2007.

1. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I got 2 favorites, a handmade table runner from mil, and a hand painted bowl from my sis.
    Hope your day was great,
  2. petstoregirl

petstoregirl New Member

lets see, best is easy. My dad is the one who first got me into music and he made me a cd of old tape recordings of himself playing guitar from as far back as just before i was born up until about 4 years ago. There's tons of mistakes, and even a couple tracks with me (around age 7) playing! He included his own typed track list with a bit about what was going on around each recording or about the piece itself. I
    I'm not a cryer, but I cried!

Worst gift was actually given to my husband from my mother (who usually is a great gift giver). It's the most hideous shirt I think I've ever seen in my entire life. It's not quite plaid, but in pink and puke green and is almost shinny. It kind of looks like a clown puked on it. Terrible!
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

My favorite gift came from my dear hubby. It is a nice long rice pad that you can freeze or heat and wrap around your neck.

Unfortunately it was also my worse gift because it made me realize how old and sick I am to be excited about this gift!

What happened to the sexy outfits...or purfumes....I swear I got that rice wrap and a clapper to turn on my bedside light without all the painful reaching. Sexy huh?

Dont listen to me, I am just crabby because my birthday is this week too. Feeling older than the 53 I will be.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/25/2007]
  4. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

My best gift was not anything I received, but something my 9 year old son said.

We were halfway through opening gifts (he received several very nice gifts) and my husband asked if they had had a good Christmas so far, and even if we had to stop right now, would it have been good to them.

My son said, "Even if we didn't have any gifts to open, this would be a good Christmas, because I have love, a family, good food, and a home to live in. I have everything I need already."

Wow! This coming from a 9 year old. Most adults don't even think this way. He gets it. He gets what is important in life, and that is the best thing for me.
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I needed a new laptop bag that looked more professional than the tote thing I have been using.

I found a beautful black leather laptop bag with multi pockets for pens and such for $17 at Big Lots- I love Big Lots.

Linda what a great gift from your daughter, that was was very thoughtful and I would have cried myself.

Glad everyone had a good day, well except for the neon pink/green shirt?? Thank goodness for returns-Carla
  6. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

...is MY department. I bought my own gifts. Just what I always wanted! LOL...

I DID get some things that are clutter spot fillers. Sigh...My husband already says I have too much stuff.
  7. budmickl

budmickl New Member

The best was having my mom and dad (76 and 81 yrs old) at my house for dinner at 5:00. My b/f and youngest daughter was here too.

The worst part is not knowing for sure if my mom lied to me about my oldest daughter. Daughter had called and wished them Merry Christmas. I asked my mom if she asked about me - my mom said she did.

Well, a little later I asked my mom if my ex-husband had been in touch with them for Christmas. (they are still great friends). She said yes, he was going to his kids in IA for Christmas day and then out to CA for a month with his dad. She didn't mention the problems with his legs that he has suffering through. My mom had told my younger daughter about the leg problem when she was over there on Monday.

I got to wondering if she didn't tell me about exh legs to protect me, if she told me daughter had asked about me to protect my feelings too.

I'd like to say my mom has always been one to make sure we were protected but she wasn't, never has been and never will be. I think she was just playing her games again.

But it's over, now to deal with all the 'happiness' that a new years is supposed to bring!

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Well, now, this is terribly materialistic, and we don't usually do this kind of thing, but my wife and I splurged on a new HDTV. I'm a huge film fan, and I spend A LOT of time in my recliner, so I'll be getting great pleasure from this. I felt like a little kid getting it today.

[This Message was Edited on 12/26/2007]
  9. budmickl

budmickl New Member

To me, it's materialistic if you bought it because the neighbor bought one.

When people spend so much time at house for whatever reason, I feel it's a gift.

Enjoy it! Hope you have surround sound too!

10. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

My father-in-law's wife re-gifted the perfume I gave her last year. I love the scent (that's why I gave it to her in the first place) and - if I consider she forgot where the perfume came from in the first place - I don't
    mind the practice of re-gifting.

But, I have a nagging fear that she gave it back to me to be mean, knowing full well where it came from.

Since I've decided not to confront her about it, I guess I'll never know the truth but, for the sake of goodness and peace, I'll assume she forgot it came from me in the first place.

A little lesson: If you're going to re-gift than you need to make sure you give the gift to a third party.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I had to laugh about the shirt....
    Years ago when we were first married some friends of ours made us a Christmas tree skirt. Oh my..it was awful...ugly..pinks, greens, yellows, prints, plaids, everything BUT Christmasy. It was terribly because everytime they'd say they were coming over we'd have to whip it out. What pressure.
    This year was perfect in every way. I had my whole family together for the first time in probably 20 years. I have an incredible family, so I feel really blessed.
    Haven't posted on this 'side' yet - just been on the FM board - this place looks like fun!
  12. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

Daugher got me 2 new pieces to go with my minton china
    tea cups , which I needed.

Son got me corinthian wind chimes that are tuned.
    SOmething I've been wanting since I first saw them a year ago.

Hubby got me gift cards to clothing stores which I desperately need since I've gained weight on the neutontin and prednisone and it seems everything I have is just enough to small to make me feel uncomfortable.

I am between sizes so will try on 2 sizes of anything I pick out.

Family were all here and I was a happy camper.

[This Message was Edited on 12/27/2007]
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

was something I bought for DH AND me...... a 22" lcd monitor -- the better to SEE!!! --as we both wear bifocals, but his eyes are particularly bad. And, now there's no flicker to bother him, trying to encourage him to use it more on his own, hehe.

It is a definite improvement over old monitor, don't think I can ever go back now!

There were no worsts for me, happily.
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The best was a pedometer, since I can now walk for very long distances. The worst was plastic storage bags. The fumes are horrible. Thank goodness I didn't get another throw.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2007]
  15. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

my most interesting, I got a watch from my sil that has a cuff bracelet that is almost as big as my fore arm, and the face the size of 2 dollar pieces, did I mention the thing weighs a ton. lol, I know it is the thought that counts, so I am much appreciative, that I am so well thought about.
  16. Juloo

Juloo Member

I had some very nice gifts from friends and family. The nicest non-gift was that my mother-in-law spent Christmas week with us and NONE OF US HAD COLDS!

Among my presents was a re-gifting from my husband. He had a beautiful, simple cherry box that he used as a humidor. He kept saying he was going to give it away. Now that he doesn't smoke even an occasional cigar any more (yay!), he de-smellified it instead and packed it full of boutique soaps for a Christmas present. Also, he really did his research and found miniatures of several tools and some furniture that I use for my profession and gave them to me...very unique! I can't help but keep taking them out and looking at them! I'm thinking I'd like to use a shadow box frame and make a diorama to display.

My biggest disappointment, although I'm sure this will sound strange, was Christmas Eve church service. I look forward to it all year, especially the end where all the lights are turned off and the congregation lights candles while singing 'Silent Night' acapella. It's very peaceful and calming, and really brings the spirit of Christmas into focus for me. Well, this time, things proceeded as normal until after the first verse. All of a sudden, the choir took off on some kind of descant combined with some weird arrangement with the organ going full blast, and it was so hard to figure out what we were supposed to do that most of the congregation stopped singing at all. The same thing happened for the final hymn. It was as far from peaceful and spiritual as it could get. It was like all of a sudden we were at some kind of choir production and instead of being congregants and participants had been relegated to the position of audience. It was then that I realized that I had really been looking forward to the 'old way'.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2007]
  17. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

My best gift was a angel statue from my grandbabies. I have one girl 4 going on 14 and one boy who turned 1 in Oct. I opened it and my granddaughter said "See Nana it is an angel and the heart on her dress stands for love". If someone offered me 100 million for it I would tell them they where crazy. They got my husband a flashlight to carry when he is on the road so he wouldn't be in the dark.

He said last night that it was the best flashlight he had ever had, it lit up his life without turning it on.

The worse thing was that I lost Daddy on July 20 and he was not with us.

Happy New Year to all.