What was your favorite Christmas present as a child?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Dec 19, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

When I was six years old, I was the biggest hockey fan in the world. Once Christmas morning, I got up early and discovered, next to the Christmas tree, a floor hockey set with goal, sticks, and plastic red pucks that my parents had gotten for me.

I was in heaven. I put the goal in the basement and with my best friend, played floor hockey off and on for years after that. I probably wore out dozens of pairs of socks, sliding around on the basement floor and pretending I was a Minnesota North Star.

What was your favorite Christmas present that you received as a child?
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Wow, that got me thinking!

I think mine would have to be the huge orange stuffed cat I got when I was about 9. It had long fur and was about 3 feet tall.

I think the reason I loved it so much and remember it so well is because it was the biggest gift under the tree.

There are 10 kids in my family and we usually got one "nice" gift and then little things and of course the usual sox and underwear (which, by-the-way, I never gave my kids for Christmas!!).

So to have my name on the BIGGEST present under the tree was really exciting. I felt so special,you know, Mom loves me best!!

I don't think it would have mattered what was in that box. It was the biggest and that's what I remember.

My younger DD must be just like her mom. One year her older sister got a guitar for Christmas. The next year she said she didn't care what she got as long as it was bigger than her sister's gift (she was about 8 and her sister was 15)! I bought her two kingsize pillows and wrapped them in seperate boxes. They were huge! She was really excited that not only was it bigger, but there were two!

Good thread to bring back good memories!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

One year I got 3 horse books and knew that I was within sight of actually getting a horse. We were extremely poor but luckily lived on a ranch and the next spring my dad bought me my horse. He paid $35.00 for the horse and $2.50 for his bridle and I was in seventh heaven.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

but when I was 14, I wanted the record album, "The Best of the Kingston Trio." I got it.

I think I played it until the grooves were worn smooth. Funny how something that small is such a lasting memory.

Good post. Thanks for sharing.

5. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Oh several came to mind but it has to be when I was 12 and got my first electric sewing machine. Before that I had to use a treadle that Dad had gotten from a friend. That machine even went to college with me.We were a large family and sewing was an awesome way to have wonderful clothes. Maineweezie
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

When I was in seventh grade my Mom bought me some go-go boots for Christmas! They were white with big chunky heels-it was the early 70's! I was so cool!

Ken, your hockey story sounds like my hubby. He was (is) a huge hockey fan too. He played his whole life, until about five years ago when his knees just couldn't handle it anymore, even on the over 40 league!

When he was little he played at Gordy Howe's hockey school. His mom took a pic of him and his Big bro sitting next to Gordy in the locker room. I had it blown up for him and put in a nice frame. I can see it right now from where I am sitting typing. I think that may be one of his favorite Christmas gifts!
  7. Callum

Callum New Member

I was in fourth grade. It's what I'd been asking for for 3 years.

I was a bit of a geek.

8. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Mine has to be the 'life size' doll I got one Hanukkah. She wasn't exactly life size - she was a little smaller than I was - so I named her Tina after my best friend because she was really tiny too! Don't have the doll anymore but still have the best friend which is better!

Wow - I just read about the other's gifts - this is a great thread. Just wondering how old the other ladies who got a life sized doll - I got mine in 1967 or 1968.[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

It's so nice to hear about your favourite presents.

Mine was a Pelham skeleton string puppet - it's head, legs & arms all separated from it's body. On Christmas eve I had changed my mind about what I wanted from santa, & my poor father had to dash into Hamleys toy shop in London form where we lived in the suburbs, & change my present just before they closed for the holidays.
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

I Remember askig for a new Bike for about a year! Finaly my Mom and Dad Got me one when i was about 8 or 9! It was Blue with a white seat! Just a 2 wheeler, but it was the best present !,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Also i remember Getting a Chatty-Cathy doll when i was about 6 she had a pull string in the back and would say "Hi I'm Chatty -Cathy" and also would cry ! Oh the good old days!,,,,,,,,Great post!,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

was a big 'African British' doll, she was beautiful and I called her Topsy - I know it's very politically INcorrect but it was 53 years ago.

Anyway I had her til I was grown then I went to Canada for 5 years and when I came home I asked where she was and my Mum had given her to my small niece who had completely ruined her.

Wow havent thought of that for years.

12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Dolls! I loved my dolls.

13. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I was an avid reader by the age of l0. Oh how I loved a new Nancy Drew book. We were pretty poor so a book meant a lot to me. It's something that just keeps on giving back.

Then when I was around 20 my Mom gave me a book about the travels of a single woman traveling the world. I started saving my money and told myself I could do it too. I went to Europe on a tour for three weeks the following year and it was the highlight of my life.
  14. monet61

monet61 New Member

I remember when I was about 4 I got a Susie Homemaker Oven. I absolutely loved putting on my little apron and baking cakes.

I also remember a series of "Trixie Belden" books that I enjoyed.

Nice memories :)

15. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

That's really cruel - no child deserves such treatment.
  16. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

that was cruel of your mother. no excuses for her. she is/was very abusive emotionally i can see that.

beautiful family. i feel your depression. i have tried that helps me a bit is vavactil and i do not get any weight gain.

tried everything i think you have been on and more.

so for my favorite xmas gift. i can't remember. xmas has always been a said time for me. dad was a drunk. my b-day is on xmas day.

my best b-day was one i was 35 and i told my then hb that i was going to reno. i didn't care if he came or not. his choice. well he came. and so did our son.

17. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

My Aunt gave my brother and me a set of fencing foils-swords. I never cared much for the formal style fencing but we had 40 pine trees around house and had great time with "freestyle". Until we found some gloves, our knucles and hands got a bit banged up.
  18. I got a big walking doll, I wish I still had her, she was almost as tall as I was and beautiful.
  19. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

wow, that sounds like something out of psychological horror movie, you lost a shoe and your mum treated you like that.

It's a wonder you still speak to her.

20. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

when I was little there was a toni doll,and you gave her a perm,and made her hair curly.well I got one and our neighbor girl also got one we just thought we where the coolest kids on the block.
    and then one year when our kids where little and money was tight,we had seven kids.my husband brought in this huge box with a snowblower on the front and I thought thats what I got was a snow blower,I opened it and it was a new dishwasher,I don"t know who was the happiest me or the kids,because they all had to take turns doing the dishes.