What was your first car?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jan 18, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

The first car i Had was this puck green plymoth! with shift on the column, It belonged to one of my uncles!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I must say though it got me where i was going! The first car i bought was a White Ford Pinto in 1977,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It Ran really good! Lasted me for about 6 years!,,,,,My Granpa used to drive Ford Thunderbirds for years! He would get a new one and have it for a year or 2 and then trade it in on another new one!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fun
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My first car was green too. It was a toy, made of metal, and big enought to ride in. If you peddled hard you could go about as fast as someone walking.

I suppose if I had it today I could take it on that Antique show and they'd tell me it was worth $2,000.

The first car I bought was green too. A five-year old green Plymouth! I was 20 years old, and the car cost $500.
    I paid for it in two payments.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

was a tan 1972 Ford Mustang that I bought in 1981 for $1000. It had an eight-track tape player and I would listen to Kiss's "Alive," smoke a cigarette and drink a cherry Slurpee from 7-Eleven as I drove around South St. Paul.

My first motorcycle was a 1976 Suzuki 550 that I paid $300 dollars for. I rode the bike out to Colorado, Yellowstone, and Sturgis, South Dakota one year. It broke down in western Wyoming, but luckily, a shop had the right part to get me back on the road.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

All Just old Hippies Huh! (at Least i am!lol) I think i paid 750$ for the Pinto! it was 72$ a month payment! I once owned a 89 Mustang (blue) Stick shift! It was a really fun car to drive!,,,,,,,,,,Love the Camero's and the Motor cycles too! Rode a few in my life but never learned to drive one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Green plymoth's Must have been popular RocK!lol
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

White with a little window.

No gas gague, just a spare tank with a gallon or so the you could flip on when the main tank was empty.

Windshield wiper only on the driver's side...no heater. Let, see...

So why did I love it? It was mine. It was small.

Wish I had it now.

By the way, three speed on the floor with reverse, of course.

Good memories I have of that car.

Bought it from my parents in 1966...sold it a couple years later to buy a new 1968 VW when married first husband.

Nice post.

6. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

My first car was a 1970 Chevy Camaro. I bought it in 1979 I believe during the summer before my high school senior year. I think I paid $800 for it but maybe less.

It was blue with a white vinyl landau top, a straight six automatic on the column. Pretty unusual for a sporty car which of course made mine decidedly un-sporty.

I had it repainted and replaced the upholstery and carpet myself. I almost blew up the engine trying to see how fast it would go in a quarter mile. Got home with steam pouring from the hood. Not sure what story I gave my mother. Probably just feigned ignorance. Girls can pull that off easier than guys of course.

Aaaah what fond memories.

7. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I paid $650 for it. Everyone else's Citations or Chevettes only lasted 6 to 9 months, but I got 4 years out of mine-------I'm easy on cars, though the last year was rough.
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Ya'll are just making My Day big time! Everyone has really Great memories of their first cars! I Had a friend in highschool who owned a VW Bug and we all used to pile in it and go "Cruzzun"!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I grew up in a very rural area which was 14 miles to town, It was paved though!
    But we used to see how fast we could Drive that 14 miles! I'm guessing 12 Minutes was our Best time in one of my Brothers cars a 69 Black Super Sport (Chevy),,,,,,,,,, It was a narrow windy road in spots, We were such Wild Kids!! Lol lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My Mom would call us "Wildies",,,, Jin thats so cool that you still Have your first car! Redone and Everything!,,,,,,,,,,,,
  9. emttoni

emttoni New Member

Parents got it for me for graduation for $300! It ran sooo good, had teh huge engine in it, looked pretty good too but I ran it into the ground. Dad's friend bought it from me and used it as a race car when it was decided the frame was coming apart from the body! (Or something like that - cant remember that far back). I Then bought a '78 Pinto - dark blue with a white pinstripping. Loved those 8 track players too!

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Can't remember the year the car was but I bought it in 1978. It was rusted all over.

When I was moving up to Lansing to go to MSU I blew the engine right on the expressway and had to be towed the rest of the way to school with all my worldly belongings in the car! The car burned oil bad and the oil light went out. The car run out of oil so the engine just seized up on me!! That was the end of my first car.
  11. mommygee

mommygee New Member

in 1986. It was a 2 seater. I was always putting way more than 2 people in there.

Sweet T - We had a Citation when I was growing up! Man..you don't see those anymore!
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Wer'e doing really good so far! we Have 3 Mustangs 1 Tan ,1 blue and 1 canary yellow~~~~~~The Chevy's are pileing up too! 2 Blue cameros, 1 Nova, 1 citation Oh Yeah and some VW.'s 3 ~~~~3 Ford pintos~~~ 2 Plymoths and one Duster! that means 3 plymoths!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1 Ford Galaxy 500,, 1 79 Datson 280Z,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wow alot of us went for the sport jobs! and also a motorcycle! suzuki 550! We Had a Kawasauki 650 for a few years!,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks ,,,S
  13. larryh

larryh New Member

My first car was a 1959 Studebaker Lark that got nearly 40 mpg if I drove it normally. Of course the only way I every drove it on the highway was foot to the floor. Top speed was about 85 mph.

The best has to be what I have now which is a 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the Hemi in it. All black and no chrome trim.

14. sisland

sisland New Member

Larry: Who made the studebakers? i'm trying to remember? wow going 85 miles an Hour must have been fun! lol! No problem for your new truck with the Hemi in it!,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

The very first car that I bought MYSELF was a 1965 Plymouth Valiant!!! LOL Before I bought this car, I was driving this little car that my father bought for my older brother and I to "share" (Ha!) so we wouldn't damage his car! It was some little car made my Oldsmobile, I think, that my father called an "eggbeater"! He said it was so little and cheap that the engine just sounded like one of those hand-type eggbeaters!! LOL My brother ended up wrecking it and later driving it when the engine "just blew up!" That's when I got my first part-time job and bought my own car, which my father co-signed for!

Edit: I remembered the name of the eggbeater! I think it was a Tempest, possibly made by Oldsmobile.

I drove it until I could afford to buy me a better car! (Even though gasoline was only 35 cents a gallon!)

Then I purchased a 1969 Chevy Camero when I got the job that I ended up working at for 30 years! You know I was young then because I just wanted it to show off with, etc., and never even thought that I would end up joining a carpool to get back and forth to work! I lived 30 miles away from the job then (when I got married, I had to move 70 miles away from my job!). The guys (all over 40) that ended up in the carpool which I joined just HATED my precious new car--they had an extremely hard time crawling into the little back seat! So .... I ended up trading it off in one year for a new Oldsmobile Cutlass which was sporty at that time and a lot bigger!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2007]
  16. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

It was an Old 48 Packard, huge, of course, but it ran, for the longest time.

It was first my Mom's, then she gave it to my Uncle, but I still drove it a lot, so they kidded me that it was mine, and I let them pay for the Ins. lol

The first car, that I bought on my own, was a Covair, white, had that shift lever on the dash. But if you went through a puddle, it would stall.

In between thoes two car's, I drove, my stepfathers 64 VW that they bought on their Honeymoon in Germany and had it shipped over.
    I had so many Fun TImes, and experience's in that car,

so thanks for bringing this subject up,
    fun to remember the good times,

Let The Good Times Roll, lol
  17. sisland

sisland New Member

Hey we got another plymoth to add to the group! and an eggbeater!lollol,,,,,,,,,,,Yea! Another Camero, Can't imagine car pooling in one of thoes!lol bet it was fun though!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sharonk: Hey, our first Packard! a 48 no less! I love how you got your mom and uncle to pay for the insurance for it! I've seen pictures of packards, wow were they popular! ,,,,,Another VW to add to the list too!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And also another Corvair! that makes 2 of them!,,,,,,,,,,,This is Fun!
  18. gnanny

gnanny New Member

My Dad tried to teach me how to drive in a 68 camaro super sport. I dont know if it was the muscle car being too much for a beginner or the teacher or most likely a stubborn student.
    I got married and then taught myself to drive in my husbands 68 vw bug. It was a small town and I stuck to back roads. I got my drivers license and sweetie bought me a 64 chevrolet chevelle 2 door wagon.
    I had seen a child fall out of a moving car in traffic when I was young. It made quite an impression on me and I wouldnt drive anything that had rear doors for fear of having my children fall out of the car.

My next car was also a twodoor, an American motors AMX.
    I think my kids were teen agers before I broke down and got a four door auto.
  19. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Gals!
    were still brining in the Cameros and the VW's lol and also a new one a Dodge Dart with a V-8 under the Hood no Less!lol The college days were alot of fun huh! We used to call that spotlighting with the light on the hood!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for posting!
  20. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

a BLACK CAMARO, think it was a 80 or 81.

Cool, but when someone would push the cigarette lighter the fuse would blow and I would be pulled over on the side of the road upside down,changing the fuse (skirt and all). Fun times though! Lots of memories.

lots of camaros on here, huh???
    We were the coolest LOL