What was your.....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, Mar 16, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

....first job as a teenager and how much were you paid?

I worked in a pet store in a mall. I lasted 10 days. I couldn't stand the way the animals were treated and I used to get yelled at for spending "too much time" cleaning the cages!

I can't even remember what I was paid, but I'm guessing it was something like $1.15/hr.
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I was a sewing maniac in H.S. Only way I would have been able to have a lot of clothes. Pretty sure I spent most if not all of my wages in fabric!~~Jeanne
    Oh. I was paid $1.00 per hour(1969)![This Message was Edited on 03/16/2010]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

babysitting of course, at 50 cents/hour, and lucky to have that. Then got a job at a drugstore for minimum wage of $1/hour in 1968, went up to $1.10 in '69 - Jeanne/Gingareeree, you must've gotten hired just before it went up, LOL.

Today it doesn't sound like much, but, if you take inflation into account, it wasn't bad at all for being in HS. My $$ went for sewing too, and art supplies.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I had lots of jobs when I was a kid. I delivered papers; I shoveled walks; I sold greeting
    cards; I babysat.

But I considered my first real job was being a guide at Niagara Cave. This was back
    in the 50s. Got 75 cents an hour. I was shocked to find out about deductions.

Used to know how many steps there were in the cave. It was over 150. In those
    days I used to guide 3 or 4 tours a day; an hour per tour.

Now I couldn't even do one.

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I worked at the Stable where I kept my horse, got paid on a 'bonus' basis, meaning when they felt like it, so I guess it wasn't a real job.

First "real job" was AWFUL. I worked at Burger King for all of two weeks. Dining room duty. Awful polyester brown pants and a striped orange and brown top. It was right across from campus so all of the college kids would come in and I was mortified. The managers thought they were the coolest thing there and that was their life dream. I knew I wanted so much more.

My job when I get out of high school was working for Teledyne Water Pik on an assembly line making shower massages. I am NOT an assembly line kind of person, but I wanted to move out and get my first place. I'll never forget my Dad's advice - "Never pay more for rent than you make in a week". My rent was $75/week and I made $75/week. I only lasted one summer.

It was THE most boring work you can imagine. Some people had worked there for 20 years. I just couldn't imagine. I spent 8 hrs a day daydreaming because most of the other women spoke Spanish to each other all day. I couldn't understand a word they said, although they did speak English as well. Rude.

BTW- I still to this day, try to live by my Dad's advice and have passed it on to my kids.
  6. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

is what they called them back then. Refilling Ice water pitchers for patients at a hospital.

A candy striper was Volunteer work,, NO PAY.

7. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Oh yeah.....I forgot all about babysitting. I guess that was my first job - but I didn't have to worry about deductions! I remember that it was really hard for me when the parents said, "How much do you charge an hour." I never knew what to say. I was afraid they would never have me back again!

I remember that I also used to "pet sit." That was more fun than babysitting. Except one time, the family came home and their guinea pig had died! It was fine when I left it the day before. I went to school with the boy whose guinea pig it was and he wouldn't talk to me for weeks. I felt horrible.

Another job I thought I wanted was to volunteer at our local humane society. I went to apply but when I found out that they had to euthanize some of the cats and dogs I told my dad that I didn't want to work there and we drove home!

Interesting how I ended up being a hospice nurse - not that we euthanized our patients though! Don't want you to get the wrong idea!!

8. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Babysitting at 50 cents.
    I tried waitressing and they let me bus tables until I pocketed the tips thinking they were for me.I waited on one table and took their order three times,guess I had brainfog way back then.
    I worked in a ball factory where I had to fill them and the bad batches would explode in my face.I still can't stand balloons popping to this day.
  9. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I worked at a drive-in theater concession stand and it usually closed each night around 2:00 a.m. Then I walked home and had to be up and ready early the next day for school. And the Manager made all of us work really hard on our feet from 7:00 pm until closing without a break, except to use the rest rooms.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2010]
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Of course babysitting ,,,0.25 an hour!,,,lolol

The next paying job was working in a Christmas tree lot sorting trees by thier size and tying them in bundles so they could be loaded on the railroad cars to be shipped out,,,,2.75 / hour,,,,,back breaking labor just to start out with ,,,

My favourite job as a teen was working for a local restaurant doing dishes ,washing lettuce, peeling those huge potatoes to put through the french fry cutter,,,also some watressing on the side,,,,,,,

The owner was really nice and would always fix us a free meal after closing ,,,,,we always had to run to the market for him and get the tallest can of beer we could find ,,,,,lolol,,with a note from him and the money in our hand of course!,,,,good ole' days!
  11. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I babysat for 2.00/evening.
    I picked tomatoes for a farmer for .20 a basket.
    I was hired out as a mother's helper to families with small children for 15.00/week.

I saved my earnings for clothes, jewelry, and makeup, etc. My first "real job" was as a clerk typist in an automobile insurance office. I made about 64.00 a week.

12. spacee

spacee Member

Our mother worked so we worked at home. Cooking supper (since age 13), dishes. Sat morn was clean the entire house day. I think the only thing that mother did was laundry at 6am.
    The washing machine was near my bedroom...Sigh.

Also took care of our brother who was born when we were eleven.

I went to nursing school at age 18 and got to give bed baths for free! Those men's eyes would light up when they saw the nursing student coming to give the baths. I hated it!

13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My fist job was babysitting at 25 cents per hour. It cost 25 cents to go to a Saturday matinee at the movie theater. Previews to start, then a couple of cartoons,two movies, with a short in between which was a serial, followed by the second movie. If I remember correctly, the serial was usually a western. Also this was the theater Roger Ebert went to even though he is about five years older than I am. He graduated from my high school as well as George Will. Like the former but not the latter.

During the weekend and breaks in my last year of high school and college, I worked in a drugstore as a cashier. I think I started at $1.25/hour. I worked with a bunch of guys who I went to the same high school . Once, I was called back to the pharmacy and they asked me to do an inventory on how many items were in this big box. I then got sidetracked before even opening the box and brought it up to the checkout and put it on the counter in plain sight. In a few minutes one of the guys rushed to the check out counter, grabbed the box and high tailed it back to the pharmacy. I did not notice it was a box full of condoms, so the joke was on them!!

I would occasionally, deliver prescriptions, however, I was so short I had to sit on one of those rubber rings for hemorrhoid sufferers to see over the steering wheel!!

My most boring job, this will show my age, lasted ten days. It was collating pages for booklets. Each page was placed in a different spokes like a wheel on a big circular wooden table. I would spend eight hours walking around the wheel putting the pages together but my best friend was also doing the job so we could talk. We did not even have an electric stapler. I had to quit as I have issues with motion sickness, LOL!!

Wow, didn't know I could write so much on this subject.

Happy Trails to All.

14. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Your memories of going to the saturday afternoon matinee reminded me of my grandmother. She used to play the piano at movie theatres during the days of the silent movies. She used to play for us when we were kids. I used to love listening to her.

Thanks for provoking a nice memory! :)

15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

i worked in my dad's newspaper office---stuffing papers, stapling booklets, etc. Anything he wanted me to do, I did it.

That even continued after I was married and got the grandparents in on the "stuffing" booklets. Was fun. Like to go back to those days. instead of pay when I was a girl, I got an allowance. When i ran out of money, I would go in an ask dad if I cojuld"borrow next week's allowance!" Of course, being his daughter I got it----.25c!!

16. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

was from May thru August of 1976--I was a waitress behind the food counter in Woolworth's. It was just awful but I thought it was great at first. At $2.35 per hour and I was making over $100 per week, I was working lots of hours. In short order, I realized what I did not want to do with the rest of my life!!

One night, my mom picked me up from work, and as she was driving I pulled up my skirt to reveal all the blue slurpee syrup that had streaked my legs when the machine malfunctioned. I said, "Look ma, varicose veins from standing on my feet for so long!!" She got so scared, she almost lost control of the car!!

By the end of the summer, my parents made me quit that job. so it was on to bigger and better things--Alexander's Department Store!!