What weird things does your cat or dog do?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, Feb 19, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

We have found out that our 11 month old cat (his name is Bob) has an affinity for watching the Olympics! His favorites are ice skating and downhill skiing!

He does LOTS of other weird things, but I'll just start with the television watching!
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

they all have their own personalities, don't they?

I'll start with one of our 4, Chloe, who is I believe a cross between a shar-pei (because she has such thick, rolling skin AND a purple/lavender mouth) and maybe golden retriever and/or several other somethings...

Since puppyhood (she's now almost 10) she has taken it upon herself to 'advocate' for any other dog in the family.

So, if any of our other 3 dogs want to go out or come in or dinner, she gets in our face as much as she can (literally), whines (squeaks actually) and pokes her cold wet nose against our legs until we do whatever it is the other dog wants.

I think I'm glad she wasn't around when our kids were little and wanting a lot more things, LOL...

3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Oh yes....computer use. If Bob was old enough to spell I think he would want his own computer. He loves watching the cursor move around!

Victoria.....shar-pei and labrador retreiver........that must have been an interesting, um...you know (wink, wink, nudge nudge!!). Was she your first animal? I mean, did the other kids come after her? I'm asking because there's usually some sort of rivalry or territorial thing that happens and it's interesting that she would consider herself the spokesdog.

Confused - We currently have 1 dog (9 & 1/2 years old, Australian shepherd mix, came from a shalter) and goold ol' Bob, who also came from a shelter. At one point we had the dog and 3 cats. @ of the cats were sisters. One (Butterscotch) had to be put to sleep at age 18. Her sister (Mosey) died of "natural causes" last year at age 19. The 3rd kitty - Felix - adopted us about 14 years ago. We never were sure how old he was. He died of kidney failure a little over 4 years ago. When Mosey died last summer, I said to my husband that I wanted to wait a while before getting another cat. Three days later we were at the shelter picking up another kitty. Thank goodness, the dog and cat get along great. Murphy "mothered" Bob for quite a while. It was so cute!
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

She and one of our other 'current' dogs came at the same time while there were 3 elderly dogs (Gr. Pyrenees, Rottie, & lab). A friend found her on the side of the road at barely 6 weeks of age, her bro had been squished, so she has a bit of PTSD which translates into being a great house dog. She will NOT stay outside unless one of us, preferably me, is out as well.

As a puppy she had this habit of 'touching' the other dogs with her nose if she walked by them. Not sure why. But she only did it one time with the Gr. Pyrenees, who glared at her. Picture you as a tiny puppy with a 135# Gr. Pyrenees glaring at you... lol she never did 'touched' her again.

She still does this to us as well. Imagine wearing shorts, standing in the kitchen concentrating on something, and without any warning (because she's so quiet) you feel this ice-cold wet 'thing' running up the back of your knee/thigh. She doesn't just 'touch', she does an upwards 'stroke'! Can't tell you how many times she's freaked me out.

She has so many little weird habits, she'll be the one I talk about the most, LOL. She has really stolen my heart tho I love all my babies. 99% have been rescues over the years, we've had up to 7 at 1X, have even had 2 mostly wolf-dogs!

No cats, tho, I'm very allergic to them. Weird stuff happens, like suddenly losing my voice for 24 hours... or maybe nothing. I never know, so I'm careful.

5. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

it was a weird turkey. Years back that ole think would chase me around the farm yard, pecking at my feet. Use to get me so darn discussed. I'd laugh after i'd jump up on a picnic table where it would not go. I've had alot of pets in my days and this has to be one of the funniest i can now remember of.

Love these pet memories.
    Cats, dogs, goats, even turkeys always considered a part of our family.
  6. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I've always had kitties.One of the wierdest things I can remember about a pair of kitties we had(both are now gone)is when they were really tiny,one of them used to suckle on the teats of the other,she did this for quite awhile,THEN the one who was being suckled started suckling on her own teats! Very funny to watch. I likened it to a child sucking their thumb as it seemed to have a very calming effect on her! My current kittie a grey tabbie,is what I call my personal assisstant,she likes to help me "read" the paper(sits right on top of it)also likes to be right by me when I'm on the computer. She will also play hide n' seek,which is adorable! Ohhh, little pets,what would we do without them?~~~Jeanne
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I used to have a toy terrier/peke mix who loved to sit in front of a mirror I had on the floor and stare into it, utterly fascinated. I think she understood it & was self-aware. She would actually turn around if she saw me in the background reflected in the mirror...

I also had a fox terrier that would catch sight of her reflection at night in my parents' picture windows, and start growling at it. Obviously she didn't 'get it', LOL.

Hope Bob is keeping you company, Jan!

8. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Found out recently that Bob has been dropping twistie ties into the toilet in our small bathroom. He can make a 2 hour game of playing with a twistie tie and apparently he has now decided to "bury" them there after he kills them!

He is SOOOO strange!
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

Hope he doesn't clog the toilet that way. In any case, don't ever let him observe you flushing the toilet! It might give him ideas!

-- I have seen videos on youtube of cats flushing the toilet repeatedly just to watch the water go down, utterly fascinated. Think a dog or 2 did it too.

another pet story...
    we had a springer spaniel that would chase anything... Including the shadows of butterflies across the patio, LOL.

He also used to catch carpenter bees, because they literally hang in the air in front of your face. Only the females stung, and it's usually the males that are the ones hanging around... but they obviously didn't taste good or he occasionally got stung, as he usually was shaking his head after catching one. They were just too enticing and annoying I guess.

He did get over going after the toads quite quickly tho!

10. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Our 9 year old dog is a mix, but mostly Australian Shepherd. She is VERY territorial, even if it's not her territory! When I take her for a walk, she barks at every other dog we see, no matter what the size. Fearless, yes?

Well one evening 2 summers ago we were taking a walk and she all of a sudden wanted to double back to look and/or sniff at something. It was just after dusk and I couldn't see very well what she was looking at. I saw her sniffing and all of a sudden she jumped backwards. There had been a frog/toad (?) and when she went to sniff at it, it jumped at her and scared the bejeezus out of her. I couldn't stop laughing. She's so goofy!
  11. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

we have two black cats that are brothers.....one of them will reach out and pat my face when he wants affection....it is very sweet.....

the funniest thing that our pets do is our little white chihuahua will climb on the back of one of the cats and hump that cat furiously.....the funny part is the chihuahua is a girl and the cat is a boy...the cat is bigger than the chihuahua....the cat just sits there with a scowl on his face but he lets her do it...she is clearly the alpha in the house....we also have an 85 lb golden retreiver/yellow lab mix and he lets her boss him around too but she has never attempted to hump him! he is way to big!!!

another odd thing is the big dog has a ball that holds dog food and if he pushes it around the food will drop out of a small hole piece by piece.....he will roll and roll it around if he can hear a piece of food left in it but the last piece never wants to come out! he has rubbed the fur off his nose because he will roll that ball all over the house with his nose!!! it is funny to watch...if the ball gets into a corner he will pick it up in his mouth and carry it over to the rug and start over...the rug is where i taught him how the ball worked when i first got it for him!!
  12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

We babysit my sister's dog a lot.

He has quite the unique personality. SO loving and affectionate - he HAS to be touching me somewhere all the time. Can be a bit of a pain when you're trying to read the newspaper and he's sitting on it!!

When he's done eating from his bowl, he backs up. I mean he will back up for 15 feet until he gets back to you- he'll weave his way under the table, through the chairs. We always say 'beep beep beep', like he's a big work truck. For some reason he doesn't know to turn around. It's so funny!

Our little Llasa Also will try to bury (cover) her little dog cookies. The problem is that she is trying to cover them in the open on the carpet. She will move her nose on the carpet like she is trying to cover them up. We think she's throwing up sometimes cause her body makes that movement like she's wretching. She'll also take them to corners in the house and hide them. We've found 'cookies' behind plants, behind the armoire, under rugs...

Oh - also she is supposed to take medicine that she often refuses to take even hidden in her favorite food. The only way she will take it if is I pretend to give it to her 'baby'. I gave her a tiny baby dog that she ADORES, totally mothers it, licks it, carries it etc. She puts her in her favorite chair which is a big bean bag chair. If I hold it, she'll take it out of my hands.

Gotta love our littlest family members! I think I could write a whole page of 'cute' things our babies do.
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

flushes the toilet

turns on the heat by moving the thermostat

plays fetch

pulls out all the toilet paper

when I have my bunny out, my cat knows he is supposed to leave the bunny alone and he is usually good (although it is very obvious he wants to play with the bunny - his body language is funny), however, if he does not leave the bunny alone, he gets put in the bathroom until he can behave - well he no longer needs me to put him there - if he bugs Peyton, all I have to do is say, "Scout, no" & he will go put himself in the bathroom

when I am on the couch, he will lay on his back next to me with each paw going in a different direction
  14. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I love your cat! What a character. They're fun, aren't they?

Our Bob likes to "help" us when we are using the printer! He'll run from anywhere in the house when he hears the printer start. He's fascinated by it. And of course, we really appreciate his assistance!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2010]
  15. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

they certainly are fun...yours sound pretty neat, too

my bunny also used to be quite a character, but he is over 10 1/2 yrs old now, so he's a bit more mellow....still very cute and cuddly and still does funny little bunny races and bunny hops once in awhile, though (he can be lying down and suddenly jump straight into the air and go racing across the room, jump up again and turn in mid air and go in the opposite direction)
  16. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

We also had a cat that we said was part dog!

Our black cat Panther loved to play fetch -- his favorite toy was a 1 inch ball of aluminum foil, and he'd run after it and bring it back then drop it at our feet and wait for us to throw it again. If we didn't play again quickly enough to suit him, he'd nudge it closer to our feet, and then pat our leg with his paw, as if he was saying, "Hey, I'm down here. Throw the darned ball again!"

Sometimes instead of fetch he played soccer with his aluminum foil ball. He'd bat it along with his front paws as he'd gallop all over the house. And he was fast!