What were you like before the dropdead flu?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 16, 2006.

  1. Slayadragon

    Slayadragon New Member

    Most people know about what Time (or was it Newsweek) dubbed as the Yuppie Flu---where, they said, so-called Yuppies suddenly got sick with the flu and never were the same again.

    For those people here who did have that drop-dead flu experience (rather than having become sick slowly over a period of time or having always been sick), what were you like before you got sick?

    Also, how old were you?

    This list is not a representative sample of the population, but I'd be interested in hearing stories of just how much people who did have that "suddenly sick" experience changed compared to their former selves.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  2. mindbender

    mindbender New Member

    I put in garage doors for most of my working career If you can call it a career. I always worked my arse off. Late nights all the time. Always had to be perfect. weekends, so on. Because of my perfectionism I always got the most difficult jobs. Can you see the hole I'm digging?

    Short story my life came to an abrupt hault. I was working for a moving company when my legs gave out . With a dresser on my lap, on the stairs, with my helper looking at me like what's wrong with you dude? That's when it all started.
  3. pw7575

    pw7575 New Member

    Before I got sick I was just a regular person. I wasn't some crazy over achiever working 80 hours a week. I was 2 and a half years out of college and I was working at a job that I really liked. I worked one extra hour each day to have every other friday off. It was very nice. Every other weekend I would have a three day weekend. I got my work done but didn't over work myself and I always went out and did fun stuff on the weekends. I was never one to think work was something to kill yourself over. I always realized that living life and being happy and taking time to do the things that you like were most important in life.

    So I don't know what happened with me. I wasn't a work-a-holic like they say usually people with CFS were before the illness.

    In fact when I got sick I was on vacation. It was the first vacation that my boyfriend and I were able to take together. It was nice. We went and stayed at a cabin for a week in the fall (around now actually...it was October 19th or something). We had a great time and then the last night there I got horribly sick. I thought it was the worst case of the flu ever...only it wasn't the flu and it never went away. I was horribly sick for months and then was left with CFS.
  4. zion1971

    zion1971 New Member

    i was almost finished with my grad degree in school counseling. i was going to get my degree, work in a high school and eventually write books. i loved reading; for the first 3-4 years of the illness, i could not read one book. it took too much concentration. i had only been married 2 years. my husband and i went to the movies every friday night. we didn't have any money so traveling was out. but we had been in a business together and traveled for it extensively. i loved the holidays and being with my family. i had a totally different future in mind than this.

    i became ill on christmas morning. i thought i had a stomach virus, but 8 years later "the virus" is still here.
  5. shar6710

    shar6710 New Member

    When I became sick I was the receptionist at a veterinary clinic. But that didn't mean I sat in a chair all day. I was up and down a lot. Used to be able to carry large bags of food from the back storage room up front to clients. Since this practice saw large animals also we had an attached barn so this was a BIG facility. I also got to go out on farm calls, usually horses. Many owners do not work with their animals to prepare them for a vet visit so often times it can be a huge physical struggle to get the job done. Dogs and cats too.

    Since my husband travels on business I did 99% of the mowing and bushhogging. I did most of the fence maintnance. I was handy with power tools and did 90% of the work to convert a machine shed into a run-in shed with two stalls for my horses. DH had to help me with the doors.
    I walked down the hill 400 ft or so) to fetch the mail and papers.

    I planted over 50 trees and shrubs with little help from DH. I made raised beds for the veggie garden and built three flower beds. I moved rocks out of our pasture and my neighbors to line walks and beds.

    I would go get a load of hay and stack it by myself in our barn. I built a compost heap and cleaned up all the manure. I fed the horses twice a day and until we had water installed at the barn had to carry buckets of water from the house at least twice a day in winter.

    In between all this I would take walks in our woods, ride, go places with friends, cook, keep the house somewhat clean, run errands, shop and play with the dogs.

    In the year before I became sick, we had two dogs die, two of my friends moved, my only other real friend was laid off at the clinic, I suffered a concussion and then a few weeks later a very bad sinus infection, and then a bad cough. All that between May and November then the next spring I became sick and never got better.

    Now it is a struggle to do the bare minimum of feeding myself and the animals.

    Those were the days,
  6. Luxuria

    Luxuria New Member

    Wow, after reading the previous posts I dont think my fibro is nearly as bad as I think it is. My heart really goes out to all of you who have had to change so much about your lives. I applaud you for getting through all of this and still carrying on, you are all so strong and it is amazing to see!

    Before I started with all my pain I was your typical normal teenager. I went to school, I went to concerts and out with friends a ton. I was out every weekend.

    Now I am 22 and newly married. I have known my husband for 4 years. We would go out 4 and 5 nights a week, go on trips, etc. Lots of times things were very spur of the moment. I packed up and moved with him to a city 3 hours away when he went to teachers college and we had only been together for 9 months! It truly was love at first sight.

    I loved to cook (still do) and would clean the apartment top to bottom with no problem. We'd go on long walks, go camping, etc.

    The last year I have had to do more planning. I tire very easily. I refuse to let my pain interfere with my life so I still go to those concerts and out when I can and take care of our house and pets. It just takes me longer, I get tired a lot quicker and I need more time to rest up afterwards. So that for me is very frustrating. I want to still have my regular normal life so I try to maintain and do what I can. I do feel different though but I try to keep strong and not let it get in the way of me living my life.

  7. dononagin

    dononagin New Member

    I was Super-woman.. lol! OR at least I thought I was..

    I had a tough year, lost my Mom, Grandpa, Uncle, went through a divorce, a layoff, a relocation and new job.. Had just started a new relationship. I was a factory supervisor involved in opening a new plant. Working long hours, single Mom.. Loved to dance, life of the party.. very creative..
    I was 35.

    I got the flu. I had the chills so bad I couldn't even hold a thermometer in my mouth.. I never got better. It took 6 months before they diagnosed me with Mono. I was on bed rest for nearly a year.

    I climbed my way back up the ladder and am back in a management position in the hospitality field, but I'm no longer Super-woman.. I miss her.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]

[ advertisement ]