What, Where, Why is This Famous?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elliespad, Jan 16, 2007.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

Check my profile. There is a VERY famous story about this image. What is it?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Altho this appears at first glance to be some sort of rock formation, it is actually a close up of an elephant.

The elephant was celebrating his birthday, having been born in 1901, the same day Queen Victoria died. The picture was taken in l960 at the London Zoo on the elephants birthday.

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

For once I can say, that there are ABSOLUTELY NO CLUES given, in Rocks' VERY creative guess for the VERY famous story surrounding this image. (At least I don't think there was)Well, now you got ME researching more, in case there WAS a clue in there.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

no clue yet. It looks like many of the countless sandstone slot canyons in southern Utah. Is that water in front? If so, it almost makes me believe it's on a coastline somewhere, i.e. in the Mediterranean. Maybe it's connected to Homer and the Odyssey somehow.
    Will have to wait for a clue.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

You WILL need a clue. The image itself is not at all famous. It is the STORY about the image that is so famous, VERY famous. More clues, after more guesses.
  6. rockgor

Now that I've studied the photo more I see I was mistaken. It's actually the famous Lost Dutchman's mine in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona.

Well, anybody could make a little mistake like that. Actually the "Dutchman" was a German named Heinz Gruber. He became rich and famous at the age of 57, disappeared, and no one has ever found his mine.

The photo is actually a sketch made by an army dr. during the Civil War.
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

Different view. For a HUGE hint, I will tell you that this location was made famous by a famous historical novel.
  8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

It's all "Dutch" to me,lol.
    Mean't to post on this one earlier.My first impression was that of an elephant as well.
    Elliespad,you're fast moving with the pics today,thats the third one I've seen today from you,my eyes are still spinning from the magenta circles,lol.
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Maybe the story is about when it got so cold in upstate New York that Niagara Falls froze over.
  10. rockgor

now that we have that crucial clue, I see that this is the setting for the famous story of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre by the mysterious writer B. Traven.

That's where we get the famous line, "Badges. We don't need no stickin' badges."

John Housten directed. His father Walter was in the picture and was accused of stealing the picture from Humphrey Bogart.

According to Bogart's biographer his idea of a good time was to get drunk and start a fight in a bar.

He also fought w/ his wife Mayo Methot, a small time actress and big time drinker. The neighbors say they used to yell and throw ash treys at each other.

Walter is also famous because he introduced September Song on Broadway in Kurt Weill's Knickerbocker Holiday. It was the only good song in the show.
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

You missed the clue that went with the picture changel. Same location. Different view. For a HUGE hint, I will tell you that this location was made famous by a famous historical novel. And then even MORE famous, by the movie.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock: Thanks for the tidbits on old Walter Huston? Did you know that Clint Eastwood plays John Huston, son of Walter Huston, in a film called "White Hunter, Black Heart?" It's about the making of "The African Queen." Katherine Hepburn also wrote a good book about the making of the film, called "How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall, and Huston, and almost lost my mind."

But you misquoted the famous line from Treasure of the Sierra Madre a bit. Here's a bit from Wikipedia:

The original quotation comes from the 1948 film, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, with Humphrey Bogart. In one of the scenes in the movie, a Mexican bandit leader (Gold Hat, played by Alfonso Bedoya) is trying to convince Fred C. Dobbs (played by Bogart) and company that they are the Federales.

Dobbs: "If you're the police, where are your badges?"
    Gold Hat: "Badges!? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!!"
    This in turn was adapted from B. Traven's 1927 novel upon which the movie was based:

13. elliespad

elliespad Member

Let's recap. What do we know thus far?

We know that we have seen 2 pictures for the same What, Where, Why.

We know that the pictures are NOT the famous recognition.

We know that the image is famous, because of a famous historical novel.

And we know that there was also a movie, which made it even more famous.

So, what other clues can I give, that won't totally give it away. Hmmmmmm

I'll be back in 5, gotta go check on dinner.
  14. elliespad

elliespad Member

Well, the film is set in upstate New York, but was shot in or near North Carolina's Great Smoky Mountains, which is why the pictures themselves are not familiar or famous.

Oh, and they were battling for control of the North American colonies.

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Though I've never actually read the book or seen the film.

My Navajo students, though, used to like it, and they would go around yelling Daniel Day Lewis's line, "I will FIND you!"

Just found out that there was a famous battle of a Fort William Henry in the story.
  16. elliespad

elliespad Member

But not the WHAT and the WHERE? Anyone?
  17. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Going off of Ken's clue,I have been researching Indian head rock formations, nothing that looks close to your picture. Although I have come across some other interesting ones. That is an Indian head, right? Or am I looking straight through it? Kim :)
  18. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Is this in Chimney Rock Park, North Carolina? Looks like they also filmed Dirty Dancing and Firestarter in this area. Kim :)
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

In The Last of the Mohicans, when Hawkeye yells "I will FIND you!"

Hawkeye, Cora and Alice escape with Heyward to a cave behind a nearby waterfall with Magua close behind. With all their gunpowder wet from their escape down the river, Hawkeye leaves after telling Cora that she’ll be taken north to Huron country. He also tells her to stay alive at all costs and that he will track and find her. Hawkeye makes a dramatic leap into the falling water.

The picture is from 1896. It looks like there are native dwellings--teepees?--on the rocks.

20. elliespad

elliespad Member

You got the WHERE. Only thing left is the WHAT? And I will give you the answer. It was Coopers Cave in Glens Falls/South Glens Falls. RIGHT WHERE I LIVE !!!!!!If my legs worked better I could LITERALLY walk there, about 2 miles from me.

James Fenimore Cooper, the novelist, visited this section of country, with a view to familiarize himself with the scenery and roadways and perfect the details of a plan he had framed for a novel.

All of the names, and locations are right in my back yard.

Mohican, is the name of one of ships on Lake George
    LAC du SAINT SACREMENT, another ship .
    Adirondack, anothr ship.

George Lake is mentioned. (Called Lake George)

Albany, Fort Edward, Queensbury.

Fort William Henry, as BIG Hotel and Conference Center, which burned years aho, and was rebuilt, to look like the original Fort.

Lake Champlain, lake further North of us.

Some of you may remember the boat that capsized a couple years ago, carrying a group of (mostly) Senior Citizens from Michigan and Ohio. This was the Ethan Allen. Sadly, 20 people died in that capsize. That was right here on Lake George.