What work for sleep? Cant take meletonin.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by fmfriend, May 7, 2014.

1. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

Right now I'm just taking the ingredient found in the over the counter sleep aide. It's basically benadryl. But it's not working. I'm only getting at best 4 hrs a night. And that's broken up. I have used calms forte in the past but it doesn't work well either. Ambien worked the best but the Dr wont even write a RX for it. Any help would be appreciated!
  2. beccanrobg

beccanrobg Member

I am taking Nortriptyline to help with pain and it really helps with sleep. I was also prescribed Flexeril and take a Motrin 800 to keep the pain down for 8 hours. Good luck with getting sleep - lack of sleep is really aggravating for our conditions. Becca
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

I found that 500 mg of magnesium an hour before going to bed helped me sleep really well. The only downside for me was that I was so dopey the next day. :( A lot of people can tolerate this dose without any problems.
  4. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

I wish I could take melatonin because it works so well for so many. When I took it I had hallucinations into the next day. It was a very scary experience. My husband had to stay home from work to watch me, it was a terrifying experience. My daughter takes it and it works well for her with no side effects. I have no idea why I reacted to it as I did but I'm too afraid to try it again. Thank you all for your suggestions. Hopefully I will be able to get out today to go to the heath food store. ~ Blessings ~ Sally
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Niacin helps with sleep. It activates or stimulates the GABA receptors in the brain - GABA is a calming neurotransmitter. Since starting to take niacin some 3 or 4 weeks ago, I have been sleeping deeper and falling asleep more quickly. I also take l-theanine, an amino acid which helps the brain produce GABA. This seems to be a very good sleep combo.

I take 500 mg. of niacin twice a day. You may know that niacin typically causes the skin to flush red and feel warm - it's temporary and once you take niacin regularly, twice a day, the flushing pretty much stops. It has for me. But if you're going to try it, I'd suggest starting with 100 or 200 mg. twice a day. It has helped my sleep a lot.

I did a separate post on niacin and sleep which you might want to check out, which has more information:
    http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/...-sleep-arthritis-lower-bp-cholesterol.264353/

Also, I did a post about this on the Phoenix Rising board, and a member there tried niacin and was very happy to find that it helped her a lot with sleep.

Magnesium is good too, as Tigerlilea said.

Mary
  6. ninkinindy

ninkinindy Member

Seroquel. Now available generic. For me it's a no-brainer: without it I don't sleep. At all. With it, I sleep. I'm not claiming healthy sleep rhythm, but some sleep is a lot better than no sleep. I've tried various combinations of supplements, other meds, relaxation and meditation techniques. I don't sleep. Talk to your doctor, research on your own ...all the standard cautions.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  7. FibroJune

FibroJune Member

I didn't know that Seroquel was given for sleep. I was reading this page about it and never knew it had so many nicknames. One being Susie - Q http://www.pharmacydrugguide.com/Seroquel

I see you can check for assistance or coupons by searching in the up right box if anyone is interested.
  8. ninkinindy

ninkinindy Member

When my psychiatrist prescribed Seroquel I freaked out a little because one of its intended uses is for treatment of schizophrenia. However, like all other drugs it has off-label uses. I have bi-polar tendencies, so this was a good fit for me on several different problems. Let me make something clear: this medication was prescribed for me by a psychiatrist who has been seeing me for several years. She knows what other psychoactive drugs I have taken in the past, my response to them, and all my current meds. She made a clinical decision to prescribe Seroquel having all that information about me. It's not something to be prescribed or taken willy-nilly by someone who
    isn't skilled in psychopharmacology.It certainly isn't something that I would be comfortable being prescribed by a primary care physician. My reply to fmfriend was too off the cuff and I made taking Seroquel sound like no big deal. I think I wanted to put something in that thread that balanced out all the supplement talk. There is an appropriate time to use prescription medications, and this is, in my case, one of them. I 've tried going without it occasionally and have been up for 48 hours before I convinced myself I did indeed it. The ironic thing is that, before developing this illness, I was kidded about my ability to sleep anytime anywhere .