What Worked for Me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EddieJ, Apr 17, 2007.

1. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

I am 28 years old, have had CFS since I was 22 years old. After a lot of trial and error the following supplements and medications are what I take daily and have helped me become a "highly functional" CFS patient who was able to finish law school take the bar and practice law.

Rx Meds:
    1. Adderall xr -- 30 mg earlier in the day, 10-20 as needed later in the day (but no later than 6 pm)--> This medication has helped me with concentration, neurocognitive problems, and helps increase my energy levels.

2. Klonopin (Clonazepam) -- 2 mg 1 hour before bed (sometimes an extra .25-.5 mg during the day --> This med is actually a Godsend for me. It has helped with most of the neurocognitive issues, sleep problems, and anxiety.

3. Lexapro -- 20 mg --> Helps with energy and depression

Supplements (If you have specific questions about how any one of these has helped me, please feel free to ask on the message board):

1. CoenzymeQ10 -- 400 mg-600mg
    2. Digestive Enzymes (NuZymes)
    3. L-Glutamine -- 200-400 mg
    4. Alpha Lipoic Acid (1 tablet, I cannot recall the amount)
    5. Flax Oil Pills -- 3000-4000 mg
    6. Calcium
    7. Magnesium
    8. Antioxidant Multivitamin (Apple Tree Vitamin Company puts out a great vitamin)
    9. Prohealth's very own "Mitochondria Ignite with NT Factor"
    10. NADH -- 15-20 mg in the am on an empty stomach

I believe that is all. Continue spreading your own information for others to use. And please ask questions about my own treatment plan. It has really worked well for me.

Cheers,

Ed
  2. romalaw

romalaw Member

Thank you for sharing your protocol. This kind of information sharing is so helpful. I take some of the same things--Klonopin, NADH, Alpha Lipoic Acid Mag/Cal. I was wonderng if you developed your treatment in conjunction with an MD?
  3. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

Yes, I did indeed create this plan with a doctor. Actually, two doctors. One physician who specializes in CFS and a psychiatrist to help with the neurocognitive problems.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

So glad your having big improvements~
    Your list looks well rounded :)

I take half of what you listed out of 10.
    (I guess thats a good start huh?)

Do you think each and every item you take serves a good purpose/or helps?
    Did you introduce 1 thing at a time to see what was helping what?
    (am I making sense?)lol

Thanks so much for sharing this with us :)
    what a gem!
    Take care,
    Tandy
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

for my selfish self :)

and others who may have missed this.
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the great info - helps us all...

I am experimenting with digestive enzymes currently. My questions are...How did you know you needed them? How often do you take them? Before or after a meal? Snacks too? Did you try different brands and ingredients before you found one that worked?

Lastly - of all the items listed what two helped the most?

It is amazing that you can practice law - a blessing and I'm sure a lot of hard work and sacrifice - especially with this illness!

Thanks so much,

Elisabeth
  7. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

Hi Tandy,

Actually it took me some time to figure it out. I had to introduce a new supplement in every week or two. Then I would stop taking it after being on it for a month and see what differences I noticed. There is no exact science but a doctor should be able to help you. I simply arrived at these 10 or so because I read a lot about what was best for CFS and found those supplements and meds to be most helpful. I have been on other supplements as well (Siberian Ginseng, Licorice root, schizandra berry extract, pure creatine) and they helped but had undesireable side effects. Hope this helps and please feel free to hit me back with any questions.

Cheers,

Ed
  8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Congrats on working out a plan for your benefit.

I just started adding in Enada, same as NADH, one tablet in the morning. I will try to work my way up. I hope this will help with energy.

Regards,
    Shana
  9. jole

jole Member

Good for you - and as soon as I can remember I am going to try this. I have been wondering if Adderall would help for quite some time now, and since I have 2 grandsons with ADD it may be I need it anyway. lol:)

thanks for your help, and glad to hear you are better!
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

It took me awhile to get back here,...but I did :)
    I apreciate it.

Hugs/Regards
    Tandy
  11. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

The digestive enzymes were a part of my routine from almost the beginning of my treatment (e.g., when I first got sick 6 years ago). The reason is that I saw a Dr. in NYC who has dealt with CFS patients and found that an anti-candida diet (my candida yeast blood tests were through the roof), nystatin, and digestive enzymes with probiotics help jumpstart the recovery process in many of his patients. Well, that was the beginning of my recovery. It really worked well. Initially, I used simple digestive enzymes that I could buy at health food stores. However, I stumbled across an infomercial for this one brand that really impressed me (and I rarely am impressed by infomercials let alone order anything advertised on them). They are called Nuzymes and they are made by a company called "Media Power" I believe. You may want to check on that though. Anyway, I take them with my supplements primarily as they help me digest them. Occassionally I take them with food. But I take my supplements twice a day and include the digestive enzymes with them. Hope this helps and please be in touch!

Cheers,

Ed
  12. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

The NADH (ENADA) has helped me for some time. However, the changes are subtle and you really only notice how much it can help you once you stop taking it.

As for Provigil, great medication! I have used it. However, it is hard for doctors to write a RX using CFS as a diagnosis. Insurance companies will usually not cover it. And to make matters worse it is prohibitively expensive. Hopefully you will have better luck getting insurance to cover it but it is difficult. My doctor happened to have some samples that a drug company rep left him. He gave them to me. SO I receive an ample supply that way. I hope you are lucky enough to find a doc who has such meds at his disposal. Please feel free to ask anything else.

Cheers,

Ed
  13. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

The two supplements that help me the most are probably the CoQ10 and the L-Glutamine. But there is a third that is equally as helpful...the NADH. The Prohealth "Mitochondria Ignite with NT Factor" is also great. I think that the creatine in the pills is really what helps, but it could be some of the other ingredients as well.