What works to help with Pain Other than Narcotics.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abcanada, Oct 14, 2006.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I'd like to know which natural supplements or drugs people are using to help control the ongoing joint/muscle pain.
  2. pv

pv New Member

The two things that have helped me more than drugs is yoga and laser light therapy. I was on oxycotin for ten years because nothing else worked. Since I have worked with this two things I am off oxycotin and use herbs from my acupucturer and asperin
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

The best supplement for muscle pain relief is a balanced magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement. If you're already taking a calcium supplement, you may have to stop because this one supplement is balanced to work well together.

This one supplement has taken away almost all of my muscle pain. We're all deficient in this mineral.

I do still have joint pain and can tell by my knees how the weather is changing, but for muscle pain...this is the one.

Feel free to check with your doctor about taking supplements but I learned about this here and strongly recommend it.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

possibly RA, I do take Ultram, Celebrex & Neurontin every day, but in addition I take Flax Seed Oil capsules 1000 mg--if I miss even a day I can tell. I also take a B complex, and a 3 in one--Calcium,magnesium & zinc.

Every 3 months I also get a Kenalog (sp) shot from my dr.

When my hands get really cramped up I use BioFreeze pain reliving gel or a similar product.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I regularly use Tylenol Gel Caps and Ultram. They seem to work well together. I use the minimum amount of Ultram to control pain.
  6. homesheba

homesheba New Member

would love to be able to get off of pain meds.

i am so scared for my liver and kidneys and have been on them for 20 years or so,
    for various stuff and now the fibro and arthritis,
    most things hurt my stomach
    so i cant go to those and have to come back to pain med.
    my throat almost constricts wheni have to take another pill.. ugh.
  7. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I use biofreezerollon,i got at the chiropracterofice,i take loret and doesn't touch the pain at all, but biofreeze
    work great for me
    Bernadette
  8. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I keep seeing this post, and no one so far has said what the problem with narcodics is.

I forgot 2 days ago to take my Lyrica, and my pain caught back up to me as if I hadn't taken anything in the past 3 yrs.

I'm sorry give me narcodics. My Dr's dont even want to say the "N" word. Even though people with Fms, Cfs, dont have problems w/ addiction.
  9. mindbender

mindbender New Member

You're right every thing you say about it. Everyone should have one, I had to stop using it because my cat chewed through the wires. I just need to fix it. Ok' you're right, but i still like the drugs. They help me move.
  10. mindbender

mindbender New Member

You probably know more about FM than your Dr's do. I got to the Lyrica after so many other drugs, I decided the releaf is ok so I'll try it for a while. I have a feeling that there is something better.

I got into some serious legal trouble on some of those past drugs that they had me on. Yeah, I'm a little leery.

I went straight back to the pain the first day I didn't take my meds. I didn't even remember not taking them until the next day. I slept for about 18 hrs, and when I woke up it fealt like I hadn't slept at all.

enough of my crying
    me
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Both are sold in supplements here. You can also soak in Epsom Salts in the bathtub. Nothing helps body aches like a good ES soak.

Love, Mikie
  12. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

I take nurontin for the shocks, stabbing and shooting pains and my hands and feet falling asleep. I take topamax for my headaches. I take a super vitamin that has extra b6 and b12 plust two daily vitamins with extra iron magnesium and calcium. I've gotten, after many years, my thyroid under control. For the rest of the pain i use a hottub twice a day, a hot bath helps to. and i've been using a homeopathic remedy for the bad times. Most of my pain is under control.
    The doctors won't give me anything so i had to go by trial and error to see what would work.
    Angell
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

What has helped me most is Cymbalta, Neurotin, and Zanaflex. I take the Zanaflex only at night.

I also use a heating pad every day, as well as stay in the shower (sitting on a shower stool) as long as the hot water holds out with the hottest water that I can stand.

I will also put a bag of frozen peas on the back of my neck and an ice pack between my shoulder blades to numb the pain.

14. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

Glad this question is asked because I get no relief from anything, not even narcotics. TENS unit does nothing but make it worse for me and I get crabby as all **** cuz it's just one more pain I have to deal with so I sent the darn thing back and this is the second time I tried it with no luck. I'm pretty much at my wits end. I've had unrelenting pain for 21 years. Thankfully the ribcage pain is not at a 10 anymore but I attempted to knit the last 2 days as I want to get this shrug done for Christmas and oh my, now the shoulder and elbow are gonna keep me up all night. It doesn't help that I reached my Medicare part D donut hole in 6 months. I just keep on keep on keepin' on but it does get irritating to have to deal with this. I have a stress test scheduled for Thursday and Friday so I hope the drugs they give me to increase my heart rate doesn't put me in a worse flare. She said because of the pain problems I won't have to walk on the treadmill much. I've lost 20 lbs. but my blood pressure has increased tremendously the last 2 months since my pain has increased