What would a "low" ACTH level mean?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladydi, Jan 17, 2003.

1. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hi all,
    I recently had blood work done. Every thing was OK,
    but, the ACTH level. It was low.
    Is this Addrenal Insufficiency? (severe fatigue)

Also had an MRI. It showed a 1cm Arachnoid CNS cyst on
    the temporal lobe.

Any input?

Thanks,
    LadyDi
  2. hilfgirl33

hilfgirl33 New Member

Well, I just read Fatigued to Fantastic by Dr. Teitelbaum and it says the ACTH is the hormone that stimulates the adrenal glands to make adrenal hormone. He said when the adrenal gland is suppressed, it causes a 'variety of fatigue symptoms'.

Maybe you should push to have more adrenal workup including an ACTH stimulation test.

Hope this helped.

Elaine
  3. ladydi

ladydi New Member

I will be keeping an eye out for your future post, as you
    seem to know more than me about this.

I'm sure the doc will order more testing.

Thanks again
    LadyDi
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm always amazed that people come here wanting to know what their tests mean. Isn't this the doctor's job? Are the docs just not telling people? Are people not asking?

I can understand people wanting to find others with similar problems, but these posts sound as though no one is asking and no one is telling. I don't get it.

Love, Mikie
  5. hilfgirl33

hilfgirl33 New Member

I always ask and I always make a list but inevitably either I forget something, it gots passed over, I don't remember exactly what he said or I don't understand. Besides that, I don't think even the docs know the answers to everything as well as most of them should or could. I am an advocate for patient research. I do agree the first question has to be to the doctor though.