What would you do about placing cat??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I've been trying to place my moms cat who is 7 for over a month, to a good home.

We aren't in no hurry but my moms health is bad and she has 3 older dogs and I felt if my mom goes I'll have to find Milow (CAT) a home cause hes 7.

This sweet old lady calls, is a widow, just had breast cancer surgery last month, lives alone in a house on quiet street with no other pets. She really wants the cat and she doesn't have a car.

I have concerns that she may be really old but I don't know. Like what if she dies then were is the cat gonna go???? I can't ask her that but she has no kids.

Would you place the cat in her home? What should I ask? I called a rescue place and they said they never discrimate against age.

But the rescue place is in a different ballgame then we are. Our cat is not in danger of being put to sleep and we are not desparate to get rid of him. But I don't want to be deperate to get rid of him someday so that is why I want to get him a home now while he is 7.

Thanks!
    Rene
  2. IheartNY

IheartNY New Member

Hi Rene,

I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a no kill shelter you may be able to place your mom's cat there...you can also call the ASPCA - they may have resources for you.

I do some volunteer work at our local shelter, and their rule is that if they adopt a pet out and for some reason you cannot keep it, you have to return it to the shelter. So if you place Milow with this elderly woman, make sure she has your contact info, or keep in touch with her to be sure the kitty is ok...you can also recommend a self cleaning cat box and self feeder/water. That will be less work for this woman recovering from her surgery.

Make sure you consider this woman's ability to care for the kitty if he gets sick...Vet bills can be very expensive. Also check to see if she has ever had a cat. A cat can live for up to 20 years, so Milow has a lot of life left in him!

Good luck,
    Bobi

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2006]
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

thanks for the replies! Yea I don't know cause my whole thing is that what if my mom dies (shes 67 but in bad shape) but no dr has told her shell die soon.

This sweet sweet lady IS older and had breast cancer surgery last month. I'm sure she'll have to go into the hospital again. I'm having major surgery for a fast huge 16 by 18cm mass on my ovary tuesday and it can be cancer so I read all about it.

I think I will break this ladys heart I didn't tell her she could have him (told her i'd get back as I had two long dr appointments due to surgery).

She also doesnt have a car. Is it smart to give this older lady the cat when I fearing my mom will die soon like in 2 yrs? Heck I could be gone faster!
    Anyways thanks!
    Yea for sure whoever gets him we will kepp in touch.

We don't have a NO kill shelter. I'm in Sacramento. I have checked for months. O
    Thanks all!!
    Rene

4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Perhaps if you filled in your "Bio" and everyone knew where you were, they might know someone who could take the kitty.

Filling in a Bio does not have to reveal personal information.
  5. Rene

Rene New Member

yea this whole thing is stressing me out! I'm from Sacramento as per post.

I don't feel right and if I did I guess I wouln't have posted. I did ask who would take care of him is she were in the hospital and she said her fiance. He lives downtown and has no car!

Yea I don't feel right about this. Milow comes first. She told me she had put her kitties to sleep once cause she had to move in an apartment and she couldn't bare to put them in a home.

I think she wants Milow cause the rescue places charge $$60 and we want $20. She hasn't even seen him.

I cant do it it doesn't feel right. There are hundreds of cats out there that need homes.
  6. zena01

zena01 New Member

Rene, I didn't know that she had put her kitties to sleep because she didn't want to place them.....that would make a HUGE difference to me!! I can certainly see how you don't feel right.
    It is good that you are not in a hurry and have the time.

Sherri
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

like MSMoody says and keep in touch. Usually older BC beast cancer tends not to be the worse kind as with younger folk, so she may have years left and th cat may really help her to heal. We just bought a house of desceased lady and took one of her cats, neighbor took the other and daughter took third. My cats don't like it but they'll adjust. You know at any time, as sad letter from poster this week who told us about her nphew aged 35 dropping dead, any of us can die, sometimes people with diagnosed and treated illnesses get other healthnissues sorted out. A BC friend of mine went for check and they found an aortic aneurism that she never felt and without the BC check would have been mised and killed her. So why not try it for a while and offer to cat sit whjen she goes back to hospital.
    Your choice though this is just my take.
    Love Anne
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I was just wondering if Milow was an inside only cat or inside/outside?

I would keep searching for someone else as I feel should the cat be ill, the elderly lady may not be able to get the cat to the vet.

Also, I wonder how the elderly lady gets her food, etc. She must have someone to take her to the store, doctor, etc. Should she have to go into the hospital for an emergency, would a neighbor be able to take care of the cat?

Lots of questions to ask. I still would continue to look for a good home for Milow. Wish I could take him. I'm in Virginia, and I already have an inside only cat, Biscuit, and she is sort of an 'only cat' type of cat. lol

Good luck in finding a good home for Milow.

Hugs,
    Faye

9. Rene

Rene New Member

Yea thanks again. I don't feel right about it to go ahead and give him to a lady who put her own cats a sleep and has no car or kids and is old woman who hasn't seen the cat!

I am very sick. I only went out to eat for the first time in three yrs. I have CFS and now maybe deadly cancer. I have major surgery tuesday.

Anyways I made up my mind per the post I wrote at 2 in the morning!!!!!! Its not worth me worrying over. Milow can stay and if it takes a year to find someone I'm ok. I've been looking for months.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2006]
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I misunderstood, I thought this old lady was OK. It seems as you are saying later that she has had cats putdown in past? If so, don't let her have this one. Hope I got this straight now. Oh you may be able to foster the cat out via the SPCA by the way, I have friends who do foster care for animals of sick people etc.
    Crom
  11. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

I think she will probably love the kitty and take very good care of her. One thing you could do is let her have the kitty, and tell her if she changes her mind, or if anything at all comes up, you want to be able to take the kitty back. Make sure she tells her caretakers that too. That way if things turn badly for her, you can get kitty back. I am sure she will give kitty a lot of love and will give her so much time. Just a thought. Good luck. Pat