What would you do to prepare for a relapse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elastigirl, Apr 29, 2006.

1. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I've been feeling "well" for nearly a month now. I think it's due to a new supplement (amino acids,) a new pain spray (024,) losing some weight, and the nice weather.

Last summer, the hot/humid weather did me in. I spend many of my days bedridden (in pain, exhausted,) wracked with guilt over what I wasn't getting done -- plus bored out of my mind. What can I do to prepare for a relapse this summer? What do you do that helps make life easier during a summer flare?

I'm also preparing a list of winter relapse ideas, too, for next year. Ideas for winter are welcome too. Hopefully this thread will end up having a little something for everyone :).
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

The first sign of a bad relapse for me is fatigue. (I have FM). It's a mind numbing fatigue. It's usually there the first thing in the morning. I take that day off work.

I don't move, get up or do anything until the afternoon. I start my pain pills first thing (I usually only take them at night) and stay on them regularly for the next three days.

That first day I doing pretty much stay on the couch. By the second day, I'm able to go to work but I'm still very sore. I use hot pads everywhere. After a few more days I cut my pain meds back to 2 and then down to 1 again.

It's worked the past 3 times. Could be just luck though!!

All the best,

Eileen
  3. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Last summer did me in, too. We had lots of hot days over 100, and the air quality gets very bad. Ozone is a real problem here, and causes me migrianes. Our ozone days started in May last year! I had trouble eating, and vomited on my commute.

This year, my job is much closer (10 mins), so the commute shouldn't do me in, but I am worried about the air quality- not much I can do about that. I am trying to change my meds early to get my headaches under control, so maybe it won't be such an issue.

Do you find that eating well is the hardest part? I am just really not very hungry when I feel like that. A lot of times we have ice cream for dinner.

So, I guess ice cream is my solution!
  4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I do very simple FM yoga stretching daily. I go to bed at the same time nightly and take ZMA. Walk my dog at least 2 blocks a day and don't eat sugar, caffiene, rice, pototoes or pasta. That helps get my pain level down. But the extreme fatigue kicks my you know what and sleep is the only thing that helps with that. My first clue to relapse is the extreme fatigue with heavy brain fog. Now days I make myself do all the above anyway if I can sometimes I can't. I'm on the Guai Protocol too.
    I've hired a housekeeper. She is a big blessing.
    I wish you the very best take care,
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2006]
  5. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Good ideas! I think I have a Denise Austin yoga tape in a stash somewhere. The freezer needs defrosting -- bad! Might as well do that while I'm feeling better.

Have strange lung pain this morning. Feels like the beginnings of a cold. Too much smoke exposure (in public, I wish more places would ban smoking) and cold, rainy whether starting up again. Better get ready in case this turns into a cold :).
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Keep some healthy food for when you can't cook, and an ice pack for pain. By the bed keep some good books to read to fight off the boredom, and a heating pad for pain. Keep epsom salts in the bathroom for pain. Keep water in the fridge for hydration. Keep meds ready to take.

In other words, keep your own "emergency kit" for relapses and flares.

Great thread! I think it will definately have something for everyone!

God Bless.
  7. Linn3

Linn3 New Member

I try to keep my laundry, bill paying, grocery shopping current. Frozen meals is a great idea. That way, when a relapse hits, I can allow myself a few "do nothing" days. I spend most of my days in bed, and summer is the worst. I feel much more tired. The heat really does me in and some how, having to lay in this bed when the sun is shining and the birds are chirping is sooo much more depressing.

Hope you don't have a relapse. Marsha