What would you do

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Sep 22, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

If you had to spend 4 hours away from your home for two days in a row?
    I am in terrible pain but have to leave for our open house.I do not know what to do I'll probably go to a movie but those chairs kill my back.Im going to lunch with my hubby.
    I can remember when I would have love to have 4 hours to do whatever.Now its scary to think I will not be able to rest and where will I set because I cant walk for very long.
  2. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

Oh, I can feel your pain and feel so bad for you. Is there any family or friends that you can visit just to hang out with? If they are close enough to you and hubby and they sort of kind of understand how you are feeling, you can lie down in the bedroom for a couple of hours while hubby just hangs out with them?

If not, and you end up going to a movie, how about bringing a pillow and a little blanket to make yourself as comfortable as you can?

Shopping is always fun, but believe me, I certainly understand about the walking and not being able to go far and the pain. I'm almost positive that due to the Americans Disability laws, every store or mall has to have wheelchairs or motorized scooters for the disabled shoppers. Never be inbarrest (sp) to use one where ever you go.

Eileen
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I'm glad you posted this. I bet there are many of us who are stuck, sometimes, with not being able to go home for one reson or another, and don't know where to go.

Do you have a scooter? If you do, a book store like Barnes and Noble would be a good place, because you can just browse and then sit there and read, and get a cup of tea or coffee, too.

Also, the movie is a good idea, too. I'm too short for those seats, and so sometimes I take a footstool with me. It makes it a whole lot easier on my back.

You could always go to lunch, then go to Costco or one of those large home improvement stores and browse. Around here, they all have scooters.

When I lived in San Francisco, and I wanted to get lost for a few hours, I would go to Ghiradelli Square, then take a cruise around the bay and Alcatraz, and then go to the Cannery, wich is a multi llvel shopping area, with several unique little bistros. I usualy didn't buy much- maybe a wedge of cheese at the Mediterranean market, but it was lots of fun being in a totally different environment.

I see you live in Virginia, Maybe you could drive out to a crafters area, or to a horse, llama or produce farm that has a little gift shop and where you could sit and watch the animals, and not do too much walking.

I guess you can tell I like to fantasize. LOL.
    Anyway, I hope you find something enjoyable to do, that will take your mind off the house for a few hours, and no be too tiring. Have fun.

Hugs,
    Terry
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Get something to eat and go to the library.

If you do not have a library, maybe a book store. We have many near by, we can gather books, sit in COMFORTABLE chairs, get a cup of coffee, snack.

Good luck on your open house.

Love, June
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

thank you. Its so weird before I got sick I would have tons of places to go but now with the pain I really have to pick the places I go very carefully.

I have lived close to DC for years but not felt well enough to even enjoy the sites. Its ashamed people pay lots of money to site see here and I have all the time in the world and still cant get the energy to just enjoy it. And wouldn't you know its going to rain both days I have to be out.

I do think lunch and a movie then the bookstore sounds nice. I have a massage lady but she stays booked,its to late to call in an apt.
    Im trying to enjoy the freedom and not think about the pain.

Tomorrow I may go to my sons but there is a house of adult guys that live there and they are big on the football games .They are like little kids and the noise is just unbareable .I may just hide in the cornor of my family room and read a book . :)
    Thank you all again for the ideas Im actually looking forward to it now.Positive thinking right ?
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

We were in the same boat last year and we found the best thing was to drive the car somewhere nice take hot water bottles if cold, food and a picnic and books, music and just put the seat back and relax in the car. Park somewhere where there is a great view. Make sure you take a hot thermos-maybe soup?

Love Anne
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

You were reading my mind .We do like to take a drive to the Virginia Blue Ridge mountains (The Waltons lived there LOL )its beautiful and my favorite thing to do specially when the weather is cool. Something about Gods country that heals my soul.

We stop and get out and look at the beautiful country side. At the top is a lovely restaurant for lunch.We always take that drive when the leaves turn but maybe we will do it early this year if the house sells we will not get the chance again because our move will be a rush.

lovely lovely idea !
  8. caffey

caffey New Member

There is nothing worse than having to kill time. 4hrs seems like 8 hrs. I agree with the other suggestions. One time my son took me to the mall plunked me on a chair, gave me my book and got me a coffee from Second Cup while he went and did his thing. Some of the malls are putting some real comfy chairs in them. A nice lunch sounds like a good idea.
    Cath
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Threw the first Day anyhow. I went and had my hair done and we had a very nice early dinner in the next town over, so it used up all the time.
    We may have someone interested in our home a few people came threw and one wants her husband to come back threw tomorrow .So keep the prayers going up.I truly believe in the Power of Prayer.I know so many people are praying for us.
    I'll let you know after tomorrow what happens. Thank you all so much.
  10. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

If it was me and I didn't have my kids, I'd go to the library or Barnes and Noble and browse books and sip on some coffee. That would be a dream come true for me!