What would you give up to feel better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Sep 29, 2006.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

What would you give up if there was a chance it caused or worsened your illness? Cigarettes? Wheat? Sugar? Bright Light at night? Pets? Fried foods? Bacon? Toxic friends? Aspartame? Perfume?
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've given up almost all of these things already.

I still eat wheat, bacon and (on occasion) fried foods. On the other hand, I don't eat: dairy products of any kind, corn, oats, eggs, tropical fruits (bananas/pineapple/coconut/citrus/mango), strawberries/raspberries/blackberries, peanuts, cashews, coffee, chocolate, wine, beer, and (for the most part) other liquor.

I'm currently debating (after hearing some of the views of people on this board) soy. I can tolerate soy (I have reactive allergies to the other foods), but maybe it's not good for me.

Perfume (in small doses) doesn't seem to bother me, so I do still wear that sometimes.

In addition, let's see. Probably over the past 10 years I've given up at least $50,000 on things (doctors, medications, supplements, etc.) to try to get better. Some of them have been helpful. It would have been hard to predict which of these in advance were going to be. I'm not sorry that I gave that up either (even though my husband and I hardly count as wealthy).

I gave up trying to have children because my husband and I thought that my being pregnant (that's when I got CFS to begin with, during a pregnancy that ended in miscarriage) and then caring for a child would be bad for my health.

I've given up a good many friends who were not toxic but not especially beneficial either. I've kept the ones that really mean something to me and put "spoons" energy into maintaining those relationships.

I gave up my professorship at a university (and am now working closer to part-time on individual projects). I could have stayed in the job for a while longer, but it was slowly draining me of my health. There are ups and downs to what I'm doing now, but leaving a tenure-track job that I liked definitely was giving up something.

I could give a longer list, but this provides a general idea, I think.

I'm still at only 60-70%.....which is not so bad, all things considering. It's been worth giving up these things, even if I'm not really well.

If anyone has any suggestions on other things I could give up to feel better, please let me know.

[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Already gave up wheat and fried foods. Am slowly cutting white sugar out. Gave up some friends after I realized how they were treating me wasn't worth it.

Just recently had to give up my German class, which was my favorite class and subject in the whole world. Also had to give up cello playing since I don't personally own one.

Seems like we've all had to give up so much already just to begin feeling well!

I honestly don't know what else I'd be willing to give up, even if it meant I'd feel 100% better. I'm sure there are little things that wouldn't mean much to me, but generally if it's something to make you feel better, then it's not a little thing ;)

[ advertisement ]