What Would You Like To Do...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For a living if you could do anything, and I do mean anything. Assume you would have the health, finances, talent, etc. to accomplish your dream career.

I think being a world-class pianist or singer would be wonderful. Of course, no "dream" career is without it's problems, but to be able to bring music to others would be my dream.

Let's hear what dream careers dwell in the hearts of our members. Inquiring minds want to know.

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey, Gang Isn't it everybody's fantasy; to have a different life? One with a dream job and good
    health. I have never been one to pick a favorite anything. I always have too many choices.

Some years ago I was walking Zippy. I made a mental list of favorite songs. Got up to some number
    over 200 by the time we got home. Still had many to go. I could never pick a favorite movie either.
    As for a career, I've thought of several over the years. Most recently to be a cartoonist.

I get lots of cartoon books from the library. I remember the magazines that had cartoons in my
    yute. Now many of the magazines are out of business: Life, Saturday Evening Post, Colliers,
    (I read the Sat. E. P. now puts out an issue every couple of months, but I haven't seen one for years).
    And Newsweek is only on line. Look, which was a photo mag like Life is gone.

Some cartoonist were great draftsmen: Walt Disney, Al Hirschfeld, Gluyas Williams, Virgil Partch,
    Sam Gross. Ironically, two of our most successful cartoonist were not very good at drawing at all:
    Gary Larson and Matt Groening. BTW, I read the creator of the Simpsons pronounces his surname
    to rhyme with "raining".

Being a great singer would be fun. Be hard to choose between grand ole opry and grand opera.
    And being a great healer would be an admirable choice although I suspect it would not be a lotta fun,
    Jam. Interesting topic, Mikie.

Well, time to draw the curtain on this non Saturday Evening post.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I'd be a landscaper. I love working outdoors - year round. I don't have a favourite season as I like them all equally. For a hobby I'd be a world-class keyboardist and a fabulous chef. :)
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Dr. Jamin - I could definitely see you being an integrative doctor. You have the passion. :)
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Hmmmm.. interesting topic here. If I could do it all over again I would take every art class I could at an early age and put it all into practice, selling everything! Or, being a travel writer and traveling for a living sounds good to me. I watched Rainmaker (a Grisham story) last night starring Matt Damon. He's a brand new lawyer who is fighting a huge insurance company. I've always been a person who stuck up for the pushed around person, so maybe I should have done more rather than just take a business law class in college. And with all my interest in health, maybe I would have been a doctor.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hey, Gang, great choices.

Jam, my Mom was a "healer." She used natural things and was way ahead of her time in detecting things which are dangerous to our health. I just was prescribed an ABX and she never said a word about probiotics. Fortunately, I've been taking them for years. Your friend with the cancer should have a colonoscopy if she hasn't already. She may have leaky gut syndrome from having no friendly bacteria left in her gut. My stepdad was a traditionally trained doc but he believed in using all kinds of treatments. I wish they both were here. I think you are a healer.

Rock, almost everything is done with computer graphics in TV cartoons and animated movies. To cut down on expenses, I now only get the newspaper on Sat. and Sun. but I can read it online. Yahoo is my home page and I can read the comics there. They know my favorite ones and have them ready for me every day, my Horoscope too. I think the guys who do these comics still draw their own. You have so many talents and are witty; why not do some cartooning just for yourself. I don't think we will ever replace the comics. At least, I hope not. I also like political cartoons and our paper has a very talented one. He's funny and not mean.

TigerLilea, I think being a landscaper would be great. What a difference beautiful landscaping makes in yards and parks. I thought about moving to Atlanta back when my GGS was born but before I could, the housing market bubble burst. So, I guess I'm here for good. I still love it in FL but love the season changes in GA. CO doesn't have much of a spring as it usually snows and ruins the flowers from bulbs. Summer there goes by in a wink and it's time for more snow in the fall. Winter, with skiing, is great but that's when the air pollution is horrible and everyone gets sick. I like your choice.

Sunflower Girl, you are already a great artist. You and Jam are both doing what you love, just not making a professional career of them. I always wished I had gotten a fine arts degree. I can no longer draw but when I was young, I could and was reasonably good. I can't paint except for my abstracts. I doubted I could make a career for myself in art so got a business degree instead. It lead to jobs but not a satisfying career. So, I make do with my hobbies to bring some art into my life. Embrace your artistic talent which is huge.

Julie, I love being organized and watching shows where they take people's messes and organize them. Today, we have so many options for getting organized. I think there are people who can organize and those who just can't and need help. I'm always getting my things organized and by the time I'm done, it's time to start over again. I use a lot of containers instead of just putting things on shelves because you can sto a lot mo in containers. Girl, the world needs your talents.

I think being an interior designer would be great. I'm not one to move my furniture around or buy new pieces but I'm always looking to make small changes which give things a new look. I think it would be hard to work with clients if they had horrible taste and I had to accommodate their décor. I actually like most types of décor but they have to be done right.

Thanks, Everyone, for giving this so much thought and making it so entertaining. I think it's good for our brains to do these fun exercises. It also gives us insight into what makes each of us tick. We do have a great group here.

Love, Mikie