what year onset of cfids/cfs/me/fm?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simonedb, Aug 15, 2008.

1. simonedb

simonedb Member

reading Osler's Web, is reminding me how there was a documented epidemic of this stuff in the 80's, I am curious, does anyone know from personal experience or reading literature if it has continued to be as significant as it was then, are as many people having inital onset all over the country as then? Is anybody tracking it, like the cdc? I still havent finished the book yet, maybe it will answer some of that, but it only goes to '96.

also I am just curious what year any of you were diagnosed or noticed your onset of these problems. mIne was end of '89, although I had some viral stuff in late 70s that went away after a few years.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2008]
  2. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

Since 2000 diagnosed in 2005. But if growing pains were any indication that I was to have fibro, 1967. I sent a question out there on 8/8/08 and got some interesting responses. You might want to read that to see if that is in the book you are reading.
  3. luv2float

luv2float New Member

lost my job in 2000 i was so bad off and didn't know what was going on. took until 2003 to be diagnosed.
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

Surgery etc at the time I had a virus contributed to the severity. There was a local cluster of cases when I became ill; many other clusters of acute viral onset ME cases were reported in the UK during the 80s.

In 1983 I had a bull's eye rash and a cascade of additional symptoms; things went badly downhill. Lyme and Borreliosis were not suspected then; even though I was exposed in what's now recognised as a high risk area for lyme/borreliosis.

tc, Tansy
  5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

mine started in late 1992 i think, after a bout of mono. i kissed someone who was sick and promiscuous so sometimes i wonder if i got something else, too.

i also had major, long-standing depression and stress before this event.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2008]
  6. JD99

JD99 New Member

I'm sure it began long before, because I can remember even in high school I never had the energy or seemed to feel like others my age did, but it didn't really interfere with my life to the point I couldn't stand it anymore until late 2005. I didn't get a diagnosis until 2008.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

After a long period of chronic severe stress, topped by a major stressful event in 1985.

8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

When first diagnosed w FM, then also w CFS in 2006.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

10. simonedb

simonedb Member

interesting at the variance

i know dr cheney thinks a dif between cfs and fm, i wonder though if fm tied into the m.e./cfs epidemics in past somehow
  11. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Pretty sure I was born with it so that would be 1975. Not diagnosed till 2003. Basically due to doctors not believing that me and my adoptive mom could have the same thing so either I had something else or I was faking.

As soon as I moved to the US I got diagnosed and treatment right away.
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

symptoms started BUT not totally incapacitated by it til 1995.

13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I can give you the exact day. I was just getting over the first cold I'd had in ages.

I woke up on January 9, 1986 and could not move my arms or legs. They were numb for no reason. My neck hurt like hell and I could not turn it all the way. A lot of my hair had fallen out all over my pillow during that night.

14. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

in 1997 full blown problems but in hindsight had a few other symptoms for a few years prior that may have been related.
  15. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Wouldn't it be great if all doctors in all areas would turn into a central information gathering place how many patients they have, when the person got sick and where they are from. Without knowing the area, you can't tell if there was an outbreak.

But, when many doctors still don't know it is not psychological, and many that know it isn't, don't know how to treat it, so the send the person to someone else, well, data collecting is hopeless.

I started gradually over three years. Started in 2003. On July 16, 2007, I plummeted and was bedridden.

16. slevah

slevah New Member

Initially, my first shutdown was for four about 4 months sometime in 1991 or 1992....I had blood work positive for EBV and HHV-6..."chronic fatigue" was mentioned but back then it was still considered Yuppie Flu by many doc's.

this is interesting... additionally, just as an aside
    I am originally the Midwest.

(might be curious to see if this was in certain "regions" or spread throughout the US)

LISALOO New Member

2004 for me

felt sick for a couple of months, then went to a wedding out of state, lots of running around, got flu like illness after, then stuck with CFS.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2008]
  18. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I had onset symptoms at age 8(1989). It began kicking into high gear at 15(1996) and I was dxed at 18(1999).
  19. ChyC

ChyC New Member

Believe I had before that as a teen, I started to feel tired alot and had to stop doing gym in high. But, I still went skating, biking and swimming whenever I could. We walked alot growing up as well.

Don't know if I got anything viral or the lousy upbringing I had. The abuse through that and than that carried into my adult life until I met my husband. There was the one time in 1983 that I got this really bad flu and haven't been the same since that time.

So it's a toss up when I really got this dang fibro.

20. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

My story is the same as Lisaloo's above. Out-of-state wedding. Lots of running around. Flu-like illness. Severe ME.

I had a flu-like illness in 1996 and suddenly was unable to work full-time. Things got much worse in 2004.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2008]