WHAT YOUR LIBRARY CAN DO FOR YOU AND DOESNOT TELL YOU

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jane_Canuck, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

I see all the time where people on this site got a great book and read it and recommend it.

How many go and see if it is at their libraries?? It is cheaper to get a book out that way and review it, if you do not think protocol will work for you you are not out the money.

If you liked the bok reseasrch to see if it has been updated or if the author has more on the subject.

THEN REQUEST THEY BUY IT! Tell them of what great value it is for the community because so many people have hidden illness they want to research and any UP TO DATE book is worth more then its out of date counter part.

I just had the library order several books , some on topics that the books were stolen and I said hey that is not fair not to replace this book I want it! Or like with the medical book I feel it is my way of giving back to my community by keeping its references up to date.

I tell all my docs what books I am reading and although they act like pffffffffffft they are not interested guess where I catch them on sat??

I just got Dr Paul St Armands 2006 version of What your doc might not tell you about fibromyalgia.

I checked on line today and it is in and they are catalouging it! I should have it this weekend!! Wahooooooooo now I can catch up on where the old one left off and get all the new bits too before I start the protocol. This is exciting and I haven't spent a dime yet!

Likely in time I will get this book as I want to do this protocol but for now I have my purse closed and my library card out, seems like a great exchange for me!

HAGD All Brenda
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I check out many books from the library. Right now I have "The Edge Effect" and "Detoxify or Die". I agree that it's a great way to see if a book "speaks to you" before deciding if you want to buy it.

I have many books that I bought years ago that are just collecting dust. Wish I'd taken advantage of the library back then!

I like the idea that you can request that they buy a particular book. I haven't gone down that road yet.

BTW, I also get movie DVD's at the library. I don't rent anything anymore. Just put in a request (via website) and wait until it comes in. Sometimes you have to wait a week or a month, especially for a new release, but hey, I got time! And it's FREE!
  3. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

We do that too with DVDS too

and oh ya FREE ROCKS!

ehehhe

Ya wished I had paid more attn to the library but hated going when I lived in the big sity, I love it more now in the middle of no where Ohio lol.

It is quieter and friendlier and more suer friendly I find.

HAGD Brenda

Forgot to say also that we go sundays for hubby to read the newspaper and if he finds a job he wants to apply for we just photocopy the ad. It is very handy! We got the local paper and the one from the closest major city. eheheh no newspaper fee this way too!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2006]
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

I love the library...I can't go and even pick my own books, my SO does it for me for about 10 years now...she know how I like mysteries and brings home 5-6 at a time.

My friend gets books to listen to thru the mail and loves it as her eyes won't focus for any length of time.

Good post, thanks!

findmind
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

--but often the waiting list for something is too long and I want certain info NOW...

and sometimes it takes me forever to get thru something technical...

so for those 2 reasons I will still buy books, altho almost always at Amazon...

ALSO I don't know if you have this in Canada?

- but we have intera-library loan available. Library's computers show what other libraries have it closeby, and we can request it... and can request it even if it has to come from out of state. That can be really helpful with an expensive books in particular!

all the best,
    Victoria
  6. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Love the library for books.

However, I doubt our libraries will buy books if we request them. They're strapped for cash.
  7. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

The thing about libraries is that they run on government grants so if they do not spend what they asked for 1 year they get less that following year. Have you ever wondered close to year end what they are spending money on cause some things seem so silly?

That is because they are spending the grant money so they get it the following year cause it is hard to keep a larger amount if you are not spending it.

So never assume they are broke, they will spend it if you have good requests!
  8. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Hey Wendy that is brill! It is such a great service, I know they can do alot of wonderful things.

I wanted to let everyone know that I got my new book or rather I got the phone call to pick up my new book.

So we are off to the library for our sunday morning jaunt and will get it then as hubby reads over the paper.

Hope you all are able to use the library it sure has made a positive difference in our life and budget!

TTFN Brenda